I Am Baker

Cake Challenge {Grass Tip}

You guys aren’t messin around.

When I placed the idea out there.. the idea that I would create three different cakes from one decorators tip… I had NO idea what I was thinking.

The most commonly requested tip was #233.

The grass tip.

Most commonly used to make grass. In green.

Grass.

And nothing else.

I was stumped.

IMG_6974.233tipcake

I didn’t even own one.  I had to go and buy one.

(actually, I bought four, which really helped when decorating all these cakes!)

IMG_7017.233cakebright

I wanted to make sure all these cakes served a purpose, so this cake is for some friends that just welcomed another baby into their lives.  A sweet little boy!

IMG_6887.cake

I held the tip at a 90 degree angle, applied pressure and make slight circles with the tip.  Then made smaller ‘stacks’ in the inner circles.

IMG_7063.grasstipsunsetcake

While I will never claim to be an artist (I have too much respect for the people that are!) I really liked how this technique came out.

IMG_6935.233tipsunsetcake

I hope its self explanatory, but if not, here is my very technical descriptions.

I took the frosting and made swirly lines and stuff.

IMG_6953.wilton233cake

And while I can honestly tell you that all of these cakes are very easy to execute, this was probably the easiest.

And my favorite.  I don’t know why… maybe because it has all the colors in the rainbow?  And I am obsessed with rainbows?

IMG_7102.grasstiprainbowcake

To make this cake I just used the grass tip as you normally would, but didn’t extend the tip to achieve the long grass.  Just short little dabs of frosting.

Thanks for pushing me beyond what I knew!  I had fun making these cakes and hope that our friends and family will have fun eating them!!

So what do you think I should tackle next???

Comments

1. Stephanie says

Seriously, you are unbelievable! I LOVE that rainbow cake. I wouldn’t be able to keep a steady hand to do that whole thing if you paid me!!

2. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

3. says

wow, I am super impressed with the effect you get on the second cake – it instantly reminded me of the style of brush strokes Van Gogh used in Starry Night! I think you could replicate that painting, or others of his, using that tip!

4. says

Amanda
    I have to say you are wrong about 1 thing….my friends over at little ol Merriam-Webster define an artist as: one who professes and practices an imaginative art and one who is adept at something. If you are not a cake artist I don’t know who is!! Just for today tell yourself that you ARE as amazing as everyone else sees you!!
    Blessings friend!

5. colleen says

So perfectly perfect :O) The grass tip is also great for making fur on animal cakes and hair on people cookies and cakes

6. colleen says

I love the sunset one! I bet you could use that technique to recreate Van Gogh’s Starry Night painting. :O)

7. says

I LOVE them! My favorite was the rainbow one until I saw the artsy one…now I’m not sure which is my favorite. That must have been a lot of fun to experiment with. You did an excellent job!! I couldn’t begin to tell you a tip to try out as I’ve NEVER seen a decorating tip myself. So I’ll randomly throw a number out there and hope it’s a tip….154. HA! That should be quite a challenge!! (now I’m off to google decorating tips and see if there’s a #154)

8. says

Wow!!! Who would have thought. Those are amazing. Okay ready for another challenge… How about a basketweave tip. Wilton 46/47/48 whichever I don’t care. Muhahahaha

9. says

I love the one with all different colors! It looks like stuffed animal you can EAT! I would love to see it in shades of pink! Or fall colors!

Trackbacks

1. [...] good idea of how to decorate it.  Immediately, I turned to i am baker again and searched for a cake she made that looked like it had little pom poms of frosting in a rainbow of colors all over the cake.  The [...]

2. […] don’t feel such a fraud any more.  The source of the original idea has been tracked down to I Am Baker. The original pin just said ‘uploaded by user’ so I couldn’t get to the source […]