I Am Baker

Cake Challenge {Wiltons Grass Tip}

You guys aren't messin around.

When I placed the idea out there.. the idea that I would create three different cakes from one decorators tip… I had NO idea what I was thinking.

The most commonly requested tip was Wiltons #233.

The grass tip.

Most commonly used to make grass. In green.

Grass.

And nothing else.

I was stumped.

IMG_6974.233tipcake

I didn't even own one.  I had to go and buy one.

(actually, I bought four, which really helped when decorating all these cakes!)

IMG_7017.233cakebright

I wanted to make sure all these cakes served a purpose, so this cake is for some friends that just welcomed another baby into their lives.  A sweet little boy!

IMG_6887.cake

I held the tip at a 90 degree angle, applied pressure and make slight circles with the tip.  Then made smaller 'stacks' in the inner circles.

IMG_7063.grasstipsunsetcake

While I will never claim to be an artist (I have too much respect for the people that are!) I really liked how this technique came out.

IMG_6935.233tipsunsetcake

I hope its self explanatory, but if not, here is my very technical descriptions.

I took the frosting and made swirly lines and stuff.

IMG_6953.wilton233cake

And while I can honestly tell you that all of these cakes are very easy to execute, this was probably the easiest.

And my favorite.  I don't know why… maybe because it has all the colors in the rainbow?  And I am obsessed with rainbows?

IMG_7102.grasstiprainbowcake

To make this cake I just used the grass tip as you normally would, but didn't extend the tip to achieve the long grass.  Just short little dabs of frosting.

Thanks for pushing me beyond what I knew!  I had fun making these cakes and hope that our friends and family will have fun eating them!!

So what do you think I should tackle next???

Comments

1. Melissa says

OMGosh!! You are SUCH an awesome decorator!! These are the three most beautiful cakes I’ve seen in my life!! I LOVE them!!

2. Dianne says

The sun cake reminds me of the 70s and I just LOVE the rainbow cake!…curious – you mentioned that the cakes were for a purpose and taht the first cake was to welcome a baby boy, so what are the other 2 cakes for?

3. Dianne@Baking4Six says

4. says

The sunshine cake is for an elderly neighbor couple whom I have grown to love, and the rainbow cake is an early birthday celebration cake for my son who is turning five. :)

5. Laurie says

AWESOME!! Now my kids want me to make these cakes for them lol….u get pushed, then my kids push me lol….I love the challenges too. Thanks so much for sharing with us your talent.

6. the urban baker says

you are a hidden treasure. my birthday is in january. can I put it my order for the “pom pom” multi colored cake now? can you hand deliver it and sing with me? x

7. says

I just can’t believe how awesome these and you are! I have shared with my “panel.” As I do with all awesome things in the universe! I want to make them! :)

8. says

I am in LOVE with that sunset cake!! Love, love, love! I never would have thought of doing that with a grass tip. I must go make one now. :0)

9. says

This post truly proves how creative you are. That sunset cake is amazing. I am going to disagree with you and say that you are an artist. A sugar artist (that’s what I like to call myself instead of a baker sometimes when I’m having fun)

10. says