I Am Baker

Mothers Day Garden Party

Are you ready for Mothers Day yet? Did you know its only seventeen days away?!?!

I would love to show you a few ways you can bake your way onto mom's "Favorite Kid" list!

Granted. I am still trying to get on my own moms 'favorite kid' list. And I only have one sister.

But anywho.

I have another cake for you. This one is easy schmeezy. I promise.

IMG_2716.fruit

Pin It

And it is even a little good for you!

Well. As good as cake can be for you.

But it has fruit on it! And in it!

IMG_2708.sfruit

I cant help myself. My name is Amanda and I am addicted to rainbows.

IMG_2733.cake

Here is the top of the cake.

IMG_2797.vingette

And here is one way you can honor mom this Mothers Day…

…make her a little 'garden party' with drinks and gifts and cake!

Come on. Would your mom not love to have a garden party dedicated to her?

To create the picture frame message, just grab any old picture at the flea market or thrift store, and paint it black with chalkboard paint. Then write anything you want!

(I chose Happy Mothers Day. I am very original.)

IMG_2781.collage

I just wrapped some small mason jars with paper and ribbon, then added a little sheath to the straw that says, 'love you mom'.

I sorta coordinated the cups and gifts to match the cake stand.

Not the cake.

Next time I will plan things out better. :)

IMG_2805.cake

This cake is covered in whipped cream.

Since I have now discovered how easy it is to cover a cake with whipped cream I will be using it on every single cake I make from now until forever.

You have been warned.

IMG_2919.cake

And here is the inside… its a rainbow rainbow cake.

Made with actual fruit instead of just tinting the layers with food coloring*. Not that I am opposed to that. I love that. I try to do that every single time I bake a cake.

But this was not about me! I know some moms like to try and eat right and don't need massive amounts of sugar to make them feel happy. At least, I heard that once. It might be a myth. I'm having a hard time believing it.

Anyway, I printed out six different recipes so that I could make six different cakes for this one rainbow cake.

Then I realized how much work that was so I chickened out.

So, I made a double batch of white cake then added specific ingredients to each layer.

(To do a double rainbow cake I just cut each individual layer in half after baking)

Each cake was baked in a six inch round cake pan using 1 1/4 cups of the white cake batter.

I just added the following ingredients directly to the batter, combined, then poured into prepared pan.

Red- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries

Orange- Two tablespoons of freshly grated orange zest and 1 tsp. freshly squeezed orange juice

Yellow- Two tablespoons of freshly grated lemon zest

Green- 1/2 cup of diced kiwi

Blue-1/2 cup of blueberries, plus a few pureed for color

Purple- 1/2 cup of finely diced purple grapes, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon orange zest

*I added a few scant drops of food coloring just to make things a little more easily distinguishable, but for the most part its all just the color of the fruit!

IMG_2997.cake

I decided not to use frosting between the layers because this cake was already going to be so tall, so I just made a simple syrup and brushed that on between the layers.

For simple syrup:

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

Put into a pan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Once boiling, remove from heat and let cool.

This meant that the cake stayed nice and moist, and also brought out the wonderful natural flavors of the fruit.

I hope you try it… and be sure to let me know if you do!

IMG_2914.cake

I've got (at least) one more great Mothers Day gift idea coming… and its my favorite yet!

Cant wait to share it with you!

IMG_2800.svignette

Comments

1. says

Kiddo just said, “WHOA…I love the cakes that she makes!” Maybe he’ll make one for me for Mother’s Day. ;) (He’s reading over my shoulder.)
    Your set-up looks like it belongs on Ina Garten’s show. You know, where the neighbors come over for an impromptu, perfectly pulled-together party…one brings the flowers, another the wine…you just did that all my yourself! Beautiful!

2. Angien24 says

Outstanding! Can I be your mom?? I promise you’ll be my favorite! LOL. I love both fruit AND cake so this one has my name written all over it. I wonder if I can talk hubby or kiddos into making it for me so I dont have to?? Hey, I can dream right??

3. says

What a beautiful (ingenious) cake and a beautiful set up. Where do you find the time?! Love all the little table adornments you did as well. You are super baker, super mom, oh and super blogger/twitter buddy! If that’s your back yard I love that too:)

4. says

HOW do you do this?! I am seriously blown away more and more each time I come here. OH, and something exciting – I am finally getting your iambaker feeds in my google reader now! I used to only get your main page feeds.
    Seriously, Amanda, this is gorgeous, creative, and incredible delicious-looking!

5. says

wow, what a beautiful cake! you truly inspire me to do things i would have never thought i could do before. you make it look so easy! love it!

6. says

This is simply gorgeous! I love everything about it, from the fresh fruit on top, to the rainbow colored layers tinted with fresh fruit, and how TALL this cake is…you are brave! I love your garden party set up, I am sure any mother would be so happy to receive a Mother’s Day gift like this! Great job!

7. cherylene says

Amanda, I think I am in love….with the cake or you. Not sure which I love more right now. Beautiful, well done. looks delicous! How did it taste?

8. says

This is so beautiful and brilliant! It’s nice to see that a rainbow cake can be done without food coloring…I might be trying it sometime!
    Thank you!

9. says

I have been looking for a way to make a strawberry cake and you just helped me do that! My mom’s birthday is Sunday and I am making dinner for her and my dad. I just might make a strawberry cake for dessert! Thanks so much. And the cake is beautiful!

10. Susan S says

You are such a hoot! I get such a chuckle reading your posts (that is, in between oohing and aahing over the pictures!)

11. says

A.MAZ.ING.
    You outdo yourself everytime you turn on your oven! I want to be you. Actually maybe I’ll just pretend.
    Oh, and I think I’m getting fatter just by looking at the pictures of all your goodies( although I’m thinking you made this one special or am I wrong in thinking this one must not have any calories since its a Mother’s Day cake) Love your blog Amanda! BTW, I linked you up earlier today in my FB status.

12. Renee of Kudos Kookies says

Get OUT!!! I’ve seriously never seen anything like that rainbow cake before in my life! That thing is AMAZING. I’m not a sweets eater but I’d love me a big slice of that rainbow. I hope you made a wish on it before you cut into it :) Stunning Amanda, simply stunning!!!!

13. says

What a beautiful cake, Amanda. It is absolutely stunning. I want to say that I’ll try it, but I’ve said that about so many of your things, and I’m WAY behind. I’ll just add it to the list, ok?

14. tia says

that looks SO FANTASTIC!!! and i love that it’s not heavily dependant on food coloring. you are a genious!

Trackbacks