Oreo Heath Cake

I almost didnt share this cake with you.

Its so rich.  So thick.  So densely packed with sugary sweetness.  Not exactly the perfect spring time dessert!

(Its pretty sad when I realized that this is the second time I have started a blog post like that!)

IMG_9984.oreoheathcake

But keeping things from you is not good for me.  My eyes twitches and my stomach is in knots.  And instead of enjoying The RHoNY my mind drifts to you and the wall between us.

I may have just created that wall in my head.

I digress.

IMG_9967.oreoheathcake

This cake is 100% inspired by my favorite blizzard from Dairy Queen.

It is an Oreo Heath Blizzard with no hot fudge. They add hot fudge to the Heath Blizzards, and it is very important to specify that you do not want that fudge.  Its takes away from the glorious Oreo flavor.

I have been ordering it for about six years now.  I crave it in the winter.  I dream of it in the summer.

And as I was driving home from DQ enjoying my favorite concoction, I realized.

I need to make this a cake.

IMG_9997.oreoheathcake

White cake with Oreo chunks, Heath frosting, and chopped up Heath bar toppings.

Real Oreo chunks.  I used about 30 cookies (or two rows in a package) and hand chopped each cookie into four piece.  No fine grate here!

I took one cup of frosting and added 1/2 cup of Heath chips for the frosting between the layers of cake.  (in the baking aisle of the grocery store)

I bought a bag of Heath bars a did a rough chop for the topping.

IMG_0100.oreoheathcake

Things I might do differently:

Add more Oreo.  Lots more.  Maybe even some in the frosting too.

Try it as chocolate Oreo cake instead of white.

Use a vanilla Swiss Meringue buttercream icing.  I think a more subtle sweetness would compliment the Oreo and Heath better.

Do you have a great Swiss Meringue that you use?  I am on the hunt for the best one!

IMG_0084.oreoheathcake

This cake is delicious as is, but I cant wait to make it again with the alterations.

And trust me, I will be making this again.  I will make it my mission to perfect this recipe.

That is just the kind of sacrifices I will make for you.

IMG_9907.heathcake

And if you happen to love Oreo and Heath as much as I do, well… do you recommend any good workouts?

Comments

1. Heather says

Oh my heavens Amanda! You make me smile! Not only for this beautiful and oh so yummy cake, but because you make me laugh. Thanks for both! Now I’m going to go back and drool over your pictures a little more.

2. says

Gail at The Tough Cookie has a great Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing that just might take this wonderful cake to the next level. Looking forward to seeing your next version of this.

3. says

oh.my.goodness!! I will definitely have to try this cake. I especially liked the idea of a chocolate cake with oreos. Yes, this cake must be made. As for workouts? Hmmm…Might need Bob and Jillian to work this cake off! ;)

4. Mary Levee says

If you make it chocolate, then I think a “smidge” of chocolate ganache should be between the layers, along with the filling…it is the layer of flavor that will bind the Heath Bar together…I make something similar in another dessert and the chocolate ganache (with dark chocolate)is that “VOILA” moment!

5. Wenderly says

I LOVE Heath bars. This looks like something that I could really get into a LOT of trouble with…just give me a fork.

6. says

I love hearing about other peoples totally sinful and crazy cravings – makes me feel normal :) Love this and thanks for not keeping it from us.

7. South LA Girl says

I was thinking the same thing, Mary Levee! I like the fudge swirl in the Blizzard, so the bit of ganache would be essential!
    I just tried Sweetopolta’s SMBC yesterday. It has a slightly lower butter content than most. I really liked it! I’ve also had much success with Whimsical Bakehouse’s IMBC as well as, brace yourself, From Scratch’s swiss meringue cream cheese buttercream. Oh yes, I said it. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/17580/cream-cheese-swiss-meringue-buttercream Her straight SMBC variant is also there.

8. In Katrina's Kitchen says

This is what is right with the world. This is what a momma needs in her life. This is love.

9. AngieN24 says

This looks so yummy!
    As for the workouts, I really enjoy Leslie Sansone. Her ‘Walk Away the Pounds’ series is great, low impact and is done in your home. (meaning you dont have to wait for a nice day to do it). If you have cable, sometimes you can find her On Demand in the exercise section for free to try it out. ;)

10. says

I loooooove Heath bars. I loooooove Oreos. Therefore, I must LOVE this cake. It’s just beautiful, Amanda. I definitely think chocolate cake would be divine too. Maybe chocolate mayonnaise cake? It would totally play off the buttery flavor in the Heath.

11. says

12. says

Hi, do you use the Oreo cookies with the filling, or just the cookies? For the frosting, what kind do you use? I love all your cakes!!!

Trackbacks