I Am Baker

Shamrock Cake

UPDATED: Tutorial HERE

So every year I try to prove how Irish I am.

I tell everyone my maiden name… McGinty.

I show them my red(ish) hair and my pale skin and freckles.

I embellish greatly how much beer I can drink.

All so I can go out and celebrate “my” holiday.

The truth is I am 1/16th Irish.  My hair is more dishwater brown than red and my favorite beer is Mikes Hard Lemonade.  (yes, I know that is technically not a beer)

So this year I am just going to make a cake and hope no one pinches me.

***

I took the picture below and immediately scrapped the idea of it because I didnt feel like ironing the fabric.  Yes I am that lazy.  But then I figured, what the heck!  Why not just share it?  So here you go.  Happy Leprechaun-Shamrock-Pot-of-Gold-at-the-end-of-a-Rainbow-Dont-Look-at-the-Wrinkles Cake. :)

There will be a tutorial on this cake in a couple days… and it will also show you how to do the mini-heart cake.  Sorry its taken so long, and thanks so much for your patience!

***
TUTORIAL HERE

Comments

1. eileensideways says

I’rish i had a piece of your four leaf clover cake. oh i love how u decorated with the clovers. love the clover inside the cake.

2. colleen says

LOVE IT!! you make the prettiest cakes, quick question would you have any advice for me on how I would go about frosting a cake look like an Irish Knit sweater? I thought of the idea last night when I was falling asleep and was’t quite sure what type of tips I would need…

3. Georgia says

Yea for buttercream!! I love your clovers. I have not had good luck with the “surprise inside” cakes you make. I’ll just stick to the outsides you show.

Haha at Tidy’s Mom’s Amanda O’Baker!

4. says

LOL, love this post! Ironing is WAY overrated anyway, who has time for that and other time consuming things like showering when there’s baking and other things to be done? LOL!….or is that only me? If it is, then I’m just joking!

So is the shamrock cake sorta kinda like the shamrock shake from McDonald’s or is it just in decor? Can’t wait to see the tutorial! :)

5. says

Love that you didn’t iron the fabric and you shared it anyway! Yah! thank you for doing that…you have no idea how that one little “keeping it real” moment helped me ‘ )
    Ok so I can’t wait to see how you get the little shamrock in the middle.

6. says

This has to be the prettiest shamrock cake for St. Patty’s Day! I can’t wait to see how you got the green shamrock centers.. it must feel lucky to slice and see that surprise:) Just found your blog.. it’s lovely!

7. Cindy T. says

Don’t worry about how much or how little Irish you are. I have a friend in Dublin he says everyone is Irish on St. Patties Day. Its a lovely cake your cakes always look so delicious. I like the shamrocks simple and elegant. Thank you for sharing all your hard work.

PS I hate ironing too!! I have a clothes steamer, I highly recommend them.

8. Amy K says

It looks fantastic Amanda! I love that you shared the photo with the wrinkled fabric – your authenticity is one of the many reasons I love to read your blog.
    Blessings…