A Girl With Curious Hair

filed under: Miscellaneous on January 29, 2011

Remember just a few days ago?

I was having a glorious afternoon with my little girl… taking her picture and gazing into her sweet eyes and just loving being her mommy?

IMG_8382.stamp

Well.

The other afternoon Audrey got the big idea to cut her hair.

It happened like this.

I handed Audrey her child scissors and asked her to bring them to her desk downstairs. (she normally completes tasks asked of her and immediately returns and says, "I did it!" to which we all clap and sing)

Halfway down the stairs she decided to take a chunk of her bangs off.

IMG_8795.stamp

She then continued down the stairs, put the scissors away and came back for her praise.

Which I gladly gave her as I did not notice the lack of bangs immediately.

It seriously took me about an hour to figure it out.

(I might be slightly slow these days)

I think I cried.

I think I laughed a horribly nervous and freaked out kind of cackle laugh.

I think I hid in my closet in shame.

I think I even attempted a lame comb over in attempts to hide it from all whom we encounter.

IMG_8797.stamp

But today… today I looked at her and just smiled.  Cause its hair.  And will grow back.

I mean.

Eventually.

Did I mention she also took a huge chunk out of the back?

Yeah.  Well.

That will grow back too.

Comments

• Rachel says:

I did that once when I was little. I’m not sure of my age at the time but apparently I sat down on my mom or next to her while she was taking a quick nap and snip snip – away went my hair. I’m glad you were able to laugh about it. It’ll be a great story to tell her when she’s older! ๐Ÿ™‚

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Aww…..she’s so sweet! and you will always have the good story to tell. ๐Ÿ™‚

• SweetSugarBelle says:

Laughing, and she’s still cute as can be…just thank goodness she didn’t have a high pony. That’s makes for an awesome mullet. My pre-k pics don’t lie, ๐Ÿ™‚

• Paula says:

You are right, her hair will grow back but you will not lose the grey ones you just got from this episode. LOL
    Audrey is beautiful!

• Molly Smith says:

Audrey is so pretty! You described the feelings a mom gets, perfectly. I think this is a normal process growing up. I never cut my own hair but I did snip bangs and sides of two neighbor friends.
    Enjoyed the story, thanks for sharing.

• Stephanie says:

๐Ÿ™‚ I would have done all the same things you did I am sure. It is sortof a right of passage they say, so I am just waiting for our turn here. But I will be hiding those scissors as long as possible. Ha.

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

she is so cute, no hair needed ๐Ÿ™‚
    clips with bows, headbands and fun hats will help on days when needed. Some days I wonder how nice it would be to not have hair to worry about!

• Thehfive says:

She’s still just as cute as can be! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    We’ve not had much hair-cutting around here–unless you count the Barbie’s. Wow. They’re a sight to see!
    Wes did cut Hanna Kate some awfully short bangs once, but it didn’t look too bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Renee says:

Ahhh memories…been there done this ๐Ÿ™‚ I think every kid does it at least once ๐Ÿ™‚ She’s still beautiful missing hair and all.

• Bree says:

My daughter did that twice!! She gave herself the Kate Gosslein peacock cut. It eventually grew out and it really is only hair.

• Renee (Kudos Kitchen) says:

What a beautiful child! The pictures you took of her rival any of the best child photographers out there. Must be because you took them with such a great deal of love! Her eyes are amazing! She’s a lucky little girl to have such an outstanding and talented mommy! Her fate is set. She too will be as equally gifted, as you, her mom.
    Loved this post Amanda! I remember when I did that as a young girl (and then again as a young adult). Brings back such memories!

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

Still cute!
    I have never had a kid mess with their hair . . . yet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Gramma Teetsie Thompson says:

Hair will grow back – I promise. But she will always have those beautiful eyes and beautiful smile. Very lucky Mom you are

• Meera says:

Yes it will grow back. My kids have done this as well. I just took pictures to show them when they are older.
    PS She still looks super cute!

• Gianna says:

AT least you didn’t sit on her to try to give her a haircut like we did with Dane. his hair is already growing back and I think we are going to need to do the tackle him down and sit on him approach again. You can’t wait for Audrey’s hair to grow up, and I wish Dane’s wouldn’t! Maybe we could switch places! I love your stories!
    I can’t wait to see you after your baby is born. Wait! I don’t want to wait that long! But I will be patient. Maybe by the time I see you, Audrey’s hair will be all back to normal!Oh, I hope not!

• Bethany says:

Beautiful girl! Yes it will grow. Sounds like you handled it well. And it’s still winter. Cute hats are always fun too. ๐Ÿ™‚

• kelli says:

Oh my goodness! But how on earth could you be upset with her when she looks at you with those glorious blue eyes??? I sure couldn’t be! ๐Ÿ™‚ She’s too adorable! And you’re right…it will grow.

• Sonya says:

Whoopsie!!! Lauren has yet to do this…I am waiting for it though. As of now the only one that has butchered her hair was my mom!

• Jessica says:

I did the same thing when I was four years old. My mom was in the hospital giving birth to my brother. I was at home being babysat by my grandmother. With a pair of kid scissors, I gave myself some bangs and trims here and there.
    Apparently, it looked terrible. So, at a young age my dreams and hopes of becoming a hairstylist was through out behind my TV…much like my hair was.

• Londa says:

Ah…bummer bangs! She is still so beautiful! I have been scared to death that my kids would do this, so much so that their teachers always encourage me to let them practice more on their cutting skills. Don’t they know I’m one of “those” moms?
    *The McCaughey septuplets go to our church and their mom tells many stories of when they were young, the girls actually took turns cutting one of the sister’s hair and hid it in their toy box. It was very tiny chunks here and there and took the mom forever to figure it all out! That would be overwhelming parenting! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Amy K says:

You’re right, hair will grow back. To see her smiling face….awwww!
    I think just about every little girl cuts their own hair. Both of my girls did it. Our niece did a “bang-up” job on hers…cut her bangs right to her scalp!!!! There was NO way to fix that.
    Oh yeah, and our nephew cut another little girl’s hair at daycare. That mom was livid!
    I guess these are all things to look back on someday and laugh with our girls!
    Your Audrey looks like such a sweet little soul, and is beautiful no matter what her hair looks like!
    Blessings….

• CFMama says:

So funny, almost a rite of passage. I cut my bangs off the day before a dance recital when I was a little girl.

• Carrie Cannon says:

My #2 son did that when he was five…cut off ALL the bangs to the QUICK…I wanted to cry…but since he was a boy…we got him a buzz cut. Thankfully he did it AFTER a scheduled picture appointment…
    Hair will grow…most likely, faster than you think…most momma’s who see it will smile and think…been there, done that.
    THose eyes are AMAZING though!!!! I think you should kiss her crazy!

• Bethany says:

Whoops!! Yea…I think most kids do that either to themselves or someone else and it all grows back!

• ali @ an ordinary mom says:

Aww, who cares about the hair with such a sweet face?!
    My oldest daughter found a misplaced scissors when she was 2 1/2 or so, and took a huge chunk of bangs off of her full thick head of hair, like a square inch of hairline real estate, about a milimeter away from the scalp… It was traumatic, for me, I cried.
    But it grew back, long and luscious, and she was no worse for the wear…
    Ah, the memories!