A Little House Blend

filed under: Miscellaneous on May 18, 2010

Just a tidbit to share.

As you may or may not know, I cant cook worth a darned.

So, anytime I come across something that makes my life a little easier in the kitchen, I want to tell everyone I know!  And usually upon doing this I realize that everyone already knows.

Oh well.

Guess I will share here because then I can pretend.  That I am helping someone just like me.

Or something.

Anywho.

Did you know that you can make your own house blend??

Of seasonings that is.

I finally made one and I love it!

IMG_1786.salt

Its so easy even I can do it.

I just used:

1 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup pepper

1/4 cup garlic salt

This recipe is accredited to many, many folks, so I have no idea where to begin given credit where it is due.

Let me just say, it was not my original idea.

Now,  just blend your spices together.

IMG_1793.salt

And store in your favorite container. (old marshmallow fluff jar)

Then use (liberally) over your favorite food!

IMG_1806.chicken

I have used this on everything.

Well.  Not my super mario cookies.  But most everything else.

So tell me, do you have a favorite house blend?

Comments

• Londa says:

That sounds so good—and with chicken! Yum! Going to go check my spice cupboard! Thanks for the recipe!

• julia says:

awesome!! sea salt with some dried herbs works great too!!

• Renee says:

Thanks for the seasoning tip!

• Casey says:

I need to do this. It’s not only a great space saver by combining into one jar, it’s a great time saver! Thanks for the tip! ๐Ÿ™‚

• libby says:

look at you! awesome! is there anything you can’t do missy?

• Amy says:

This is great. I make my own taco seasoning.

• Jessica says:

I have never mixed them together, tho I use salt, pepper and garlic seasoning on meat. I need to mix them together first!

• Kim says:

Sometimes the simple and basic are the best. My family has really enjoyed the Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning. We put it on eggs, popcorn, and I use it a lot in cooking mexican food.
    I make my own blackening seasoning and taco seasoning and I think it tastes WAY better than store bought and it doesn’t have MSG in it.
    HUGS!

• Kim @ Homesteader's Heart says:

HUGS!

• abby says:

Yum!! I love how it looks stored in that cute glass jar.
    My favorite is making my own blend for taco seasoning. I’ll never have to buy one of those packets again! I wanted tacos one day and it finally dawned on me to find a recipe for it. Who knew?! ๐Ÿ™‚

• CFMama says:

Never even heard of a house blend but it does make sense….In your case two less jars of spice to mess with. =)

• CFMama says:

…or is it two fewer? LOL

• Kristin Smith says:

Sounds yummy – thanks for sharing!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Katie says:

I almost wet my pants ~ I love the comment “I forgot my moms birthday, what can you make with crazy glue and olive pits”! You make me laugh. My favorite house blend is all of the above with a 1/4 tsp. of onion powder added. Yumm.
    May God continue his blessings in your life, today, tomorrow and for always, my friend,
    Katie

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

Sounds great! I love stuff that is simple and you can do yourself!

• Karen says:

OK, this is me, feeling like a cooking dork. Because you say you can’t cook, and I didn’t even know I could ‘make’ a house blend. *sheepish grin*
    So, does it have to be something you put in a separate container in order to be a house blend? Or does it count if you just throw some spices together and put them on chicken? Cuz I know how to do that. Of course, I couldn’t give you the recipe, because I never really do the same thing twice. LOL!

• Karen@SurvivingMotherhood says:

• gianna says:

i use the same blend only i add onion powder and parsley in mine! i LOVE it!

• gianna says:

okay so i don’t mix mine together either! but if i did, it would probably look like yours!

• Bethany says:

YUM! I have several “blends” I use. Each meat earns it own. ๐Ÿ™‚ My favorite for pork is Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, and Garlic with EVOO. So, so yummy.

• Ruth says:

Not really, but I do use a lot of seasoned salt and basil. And garlic, I use fresh chopped garlic and the pre-chopped stuff a lot too. I guess that’s why me and my kids don’t get a lot of bug bites ๐Ÿ™‚

• tracie says:

Paula Deen (love her and her butter addiction)…uses this blend when she cooks and at her restaurant.

• Dana-from chaos to Grace says:

Well….since I am crappy in the kitchen too, I’ll just steal this idea! LOL

• He & Me + 3 says:

Sounds like something I would totally love. Thanks for sharing. I can’t cook either. Darn.

• He & Me + 3 says: