Me and Ree (oh yeah, and other blogherfood stuff)

filed under: Miscellaneous on October 11, 2010

I had quite a bit of time to ponder what I wanted to share from my blogherfood trip.

More on that soon.

A few main points:

I learned that I am completely socially awkward.

Even though I like to think I am somewhat level-headed, I got completely star stuck and dumbfounded.

I do not travel alone well.

I am a complete homebody.  I like to be home.  Near my home.  In my home.  Looking at my home.  In the vicinity of my home.  You get the idea.

The session that I was speaking on was the very first in the blogherfood weekend, which just happened to be wonderful.  I really enjoyed speaking with Marla, Carrie, and Natanya.  They are super smart and driven women who have very clear, tenacious, and capable voices.

(below: Marla and I)

Scan0001.meandmarla

Me…not so much.  I believe in the midst of a panel discussion about how you can optimize your vision and succeed in creating a successful and well received blog in a condensed time period I uttered the words (into the microphone mind you) "Hi, my name is Amanda and I like to eat."

Riveting stuff I tell you.

After that enthralling and hypnotic insight from me I decided it might be wise to speak less and listen more.  And honestly, I really thought the audience (as well as those amazing fellow panelists) had some great questions and observations!  I know I left there having learned more then when I arrived.

The remainder of that day was spent eating and listening and eating some more.

I was able to drift off to sleep with a smile because of the amazing invention that is Skype.  I got to talk with the kids and hubby!!  Seeing their faces and hearing their excitement and watching them interact with each other rejuvenated me, and I knew I could face tomorrow (Saturday) with a renewed sense of energy.

Um, yeah.

By noon Saturday I had hit a wall.  A really big,solid concrete, mile long wall.

It just kinda struck me that I was alone (without family and close friends) in an unfamiliar place.  And by 4:00 pm, as I was standing in the lobby trying to check out, it was all weighing pretty heavy on me.

That's when sweet Alice walked by.

Bless her heart, she had no idea what she was talking into… but she looked at me, asked how I was, and I burst into tears.

I couldnt stop crying.  The pain of feeling alone and having been dealing with morning sickness and fatigue and having cramping and discomfort had all culminated into me completely losing it.

Do you know what Alice did?

She dropped everything and hugged me.  In the middle of a gorgeous internationally acclaimed bustling lobby… she sensed a need and offered me her shoulder to cry on.

I did.

And then, as if compelled by the Voice that I had been desperate to hear, she prayed over me.

I cannot tell you the significance of that moment… of that prayer… of those words on my lonesome heart.

I have never felt such an instant connection to someone as I did Alice. It was a heart connection.

A couple hours later I had managed to gather myself together (completely supernatural strength I might add) and make it to the fabulous party hosted by Pioneer Woman, Steamy Kitchen, and Simply Recipes.

After two days of catching glimpses and fighting extreme shyness and dreading that stalker moment, I finally was able to talk to Ree and Jaden!

Seriously.  Jaden is stunning.  Gorgeous.  Funny.  Sweet.

And Ree?  Well, Ree is… (this is going to sound so stupid) kinda equivalent to your favorite pair of jeans.

She was comfortable and made you look good and gave you a sense of inner confidence that you dont normally have.

Although, you would never have known that by my actions.  I mostly wheezed out, "Oh my… you're amazing… is this happening?… I am going to pass out…"

IMG_4250.stamp

You can see it in my expression.  *freaky* I think my left eye was actually twitching.

I was two seconds away from throwing up on her inconceivably gorgeous shoes.

Well, that and I had just tried bacon nicoise, which does not go well with a nauseous preggers girl.

But now I must stop reminiscing and go play with my children whom I missed more then they will ever know.  What a blessing to be home and get to hug and cuddle them whenever I want!

More on the rest of my trip soon.  I hope.  If I can get the courage to share with you the experiences of my last few hours in SF.

They. Were. Interesting

Comments

• Lorie says:

I can’t wait to hear more, but enjoy your kiddos! I am off to check out Alice’s blog!

• Molly says:

Oh these experiences are so overwhelming, aren’t they. But you know what? You are right. Even if one of the big takeaways is “I like to be home” that’s a perfectly legitimate takeaway, too.
    I am proud of you for going. I love that you like to eat. And I look forward to hearing more about it.
    P.S. And cut it out, you look adorable and your eye looks completely normal. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sally says:

Thank the Lord for people like Alice. Amen.

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

*SQUEE!* Oh, I wish I could have been with you in that lobby. The socially awkward girls could have hung together! ๐Ÿ™‚
    So, so happy you met Ree! Love the picture!
    Would have LOVED to have been there for your panel! I know you rocked it, Amanda! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Renee says:

Sounds like a great weekend, despite the missing home part. I can’t wait to hear more about it ๐Ÿ™‚
    Welcome home ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda Rettke says:

I second that Amen Sally!!

• Jen says:

You look so cute with Ree.. Glad you got to meet so many great people! Alice is one of my favorite people – I just love her. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary says:

You look beautiful in those pictures Amanda! What a wonderful moment with Alice; I knew there was a reason I love her blog ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for taking the time to share a bit with us. Have a great day!!!

• Becki D says:

You met Ree! AND GOT YOUR PICTURE TAKEN WITH HER, great golly gee willikers AWESOME.
    But you know what’s even more awesome?
    You found someone (or someone found you) and reached out with a hug and a prayer at a blogger’s conference. You have no idea how encouraging that is to ME! WOW!!!
    You’re the best, Ms. Manda! ((hugs))

• Sonya says:

I am so glad that you got the courage up to talk to them. I saw your tweets and knew you were thinking about how to do it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kathia says:

I am so glad you had so much fun. You are Ree look adorable.

• alice says:

Amanda, you are far more precious than you realize. So glad we finally met. Would have hugged you regardless… it was on my list one must-dos.
    xo,
    Alice

• Paula says:

I can’t imagine attending such a large event! So proud of you that you were able to stretch out of your comfort zone to not only be on the panel but to meet some of the women you admire most.
    Looking forward to reading more about your weekend.

• Gianna says:

I’m so glad you did it even though you were not excited to leave your family! i love your pictures! and your sensde of i feel stupid! like i did at your house!

• Kristin Smith says:

So sorry that you had a tough time being away…but all the more reminder of why you love that family of yours so much! Can’t wait to hear more!!

• Jessica says:

ah how I wish I could have joined you!!

• Joy Ellis says:

Even though you had a rough time being away from family, I am glad you had a wonderful time! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kate says:

LOL (for real!) about your left eye twitching.

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

I am no longer worthy enough to look at your blog. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    sooooo exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

• seraphim says:

Oh sweetheart! I can imagine just how you felt. You were very brave in my opinion. And yayness! meeting Ree. I think she’s fab. x

• Amy K says:

My heart ached for you while reading this post. Your pregnancy hormones were probably in overdrive as well. I’m thankful that your kindred spirit Alice was there for you…that’s a God moment!
    Beautiful photos! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip.
    Always remember, that you are an amazing woman Amanda!
    Blessings…

• carma says:

Look at you beaming in that pic with Ree — I love how your honesty comes through in everything that you do. I’m also a homebody and can be a blubbering idiot in social situations. You are not alone. Alice sounds like an angel!

• Deliciously Organic says:

It was so great meeting you this weekend! You have such a sweet heard and quick wit! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m sorry to hear you were out-of-sorts, but I’m glad Alice swooped in and greeted you with open arms. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ruth says:

Yeah, San Francisco is always interesting…
    You did better than I would I think. Although at moments when I’m forced to step out I do, but I do not like it!
    Glad someone was there to pick you back up again! I tell ya it’s too bad I couldn’t have popped over the bridge and said hi, but then I might have been star struck and tongue tied ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ria says:

Oh man… I LOVED that story!