Another Reason I’m Not Mom of the Year

filed under: Miscellaneous on January 25, 2010

At about 10:00 on Sunday morning Chad's folks called and said they were coming over.  Turns out they are heading to Florida fairly soon and are going to miss Coltons 5th birthday party.

They would be over in a few hours.

Impromptu party anyone?  Yes!  I think I will.

So I figured I'd make some fancy cupcakes.

Chocolate with vanilla frosting.  And coconut.  And chocolate cupcake crumbles.

IMG_6493.cupcake

The crumbles.

Eh.

IMG_6505.cipcake

The coconut.

Just so-so.

IMG_6528.cupcake

Plain old piped on frosting?  Yeah.  That will do.

So we gave Colton a mini birthday party.

And since I didn't have any candles on hand, he got the very appropriate and not-gonna-get-me-nominated-for-mom-of-the-year Question Mark Candle.

Nice.

IMG_6535.colton

IMG_6536.colton

IMG_6537.colton

IMG_6538.colton

IMG_6542.colton

I dont think he minded.

Your email address will not be published.

Comments

• Casey says:

Happy (early) Birthday Colton!!
    The look on his face is so adorable! You can tell you really made his day with those cupcakes. You would get my vote for “Mom of the Year”! (even with that ? candle) 🙂

• Kate says:

He is ADORABLE! Love the succession of pics – we’re able to see how he’s thinking about his wish 🙂
    Love, love, LOVE his shirt 😉

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

He looks pretty happy with the question mark candle! I think you ARE mom of the year! 🙂

• Liz says:

I have never seen that candle before! You still win in my book based on your re-post the other day!

• Missie says:

Happy Birthdy Colton and you did great making those cupcakes. I would have ran to the grocery store and picked up a cake! LOL

• Lisa says:

I’m pretty sure he would still nominate you. No way was he the least bit worried about the candle. 🙂
    Lisa

• AllisonO says:

The fact that you spent that hour before they came making the proper cupcakes for your boy and not running around like a lunatic cleaning your house totally gets you points in my book.

• Jessica says:

You are an awesome mom! He would definitely nominate you. 🙂 The cupcakes make up for the question mark candle!!

• Renee says:

Looks like you are a wonderful mom. Your son looks happy & healthy, you must be doing something right 🙂 Besides, a ? mark candle sorta looks like a 5 if you look from a certain angle 🙂

• Brianne says:

I think that you are awesome that you could just whip up a batch a cupcakes, had any candle on hand and did not flip on your inlaws for being so impromptu!
    And he looks seriously happy!!

• Sarah Robbins says:

What fun! Delicious cupcakes, impromptu party- who cares about awards?!

• bp says:

great job! It looks like he was very proud. Hope his birthday is special!

• Cop Mama says:

Oh, look at that face! So sweet. He looks as happy as can be, how can you NOT be mom of the year!
    Are the pics in Sepia? Or softened black and white? Yeah, like I have a clue what I’m talking about…

• Kari says:

I don’t think he minded one bit!! 🙂
    Happy Birthday Colton!
    Blessings, Kari

• Dea says:

I definatly dont think he minded the candle one bit! He looks so very happy, and cute as usual! You did great. And just for the record i do think you could be mom of the year!

• kelli says:

The cupcakes look delicious…especially the one with coconut! But Colton? That child is seriously ADORABLE! 🙂 Don’t think he minded that ? candle at all and I do believe he would gladly nominate you for mother of the year!

• Tina Fisher says:

Looks like he was totally thinking you are a great Mom!
    Good for you to be able to pull of this impromptu!
    He’s a cutie pie for sure!

• Becca - Our Crazy Boys says:

I clicked on over because I saw the “Mom Of The Year” title and I always say that!
    I should mention, though, that those cupcakes? Yes, they’ll definitely erase any candle wrongdoing in my eyes… Yum.

• midwest mommy says:

I am so impressed you threw that all together in a couple of hours! Great job.

• mindy says:

What a great memory!! But I think ALL the cupcakes look delicious. I am a sucker for anything that involves sugar and/or chocolate though.. 😉

• gianna says:

i love how perfectionistic you are with your baked goods! your son is BEAUTIFUL! (can i say that about a 5 year old boy?) i would have happily eaten any of those cupcakes. colton, too, i’m sure!

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

Happy Birthday to your little guy! I think it turned out wonderfully!

• tracie says:

Looks like he didn’t mind at all!! Adorable pics!
    Oh, and those chocolate crumble cupcakes you deemed not good enough…send ’em my way 🙂

• ClassiclyAmber says:

That was the perfect impromptu party for him! Don’t be so stinkin’ hard on yourself. You’ve just won the Mom of the Year Award~!! (applause applause) Any kid would love to have you as a Mom and baking up your tasty treats!
    Happy Birthday, Colton!! =-D

• Ruth says:

Nope, I don’t think he minded either. In fact he looks really excited. And I love those pictures, you did an awesome job. Are they edited or just straight out of the camera? Hmmm… okay stupid question now that I look back since they are black and white and you probably did that with editing software. BUT they do look good.

• I Am Baker Logo

Brand new recipes that people find kinda acceptable.

INTRODUCING...