I Might Have Been Called Spazz

filed under: Miscellaneous on September 26, 2009

So remember I told ya I was going to a playdate at Jennifer's house?

Yeah.  It was ok.

IMG_7369.zapburnt

And when I say ok what I mean is…

…it was awesome.

(if you would be so kind as to allow my to embrace my inner 80's valley girl)

Like, totally awesome to the max dude.

We all had so much fun hanging out and chasing our kids around and fighting over Stellan and trying to casually peek into Jennifers pantry when no one was looking.

Oh.  Sorry.  Maybe that was just me.

IMG_7300.zap

Not only did she invite a bunch of moms and their kids over to her house but she prepared food for us.

It was, like, totally radical and tubular.  Like, really though.  It was tubular

Like.

Really.

IMG_7362.fairy

Audrey and Stellan were chillin' out.

Then Audrey tried to eat Stellan.

IMG_7366.fairy

Like, No Audrey!  Gag me with a spoon!  You can't eat babies!  That would be like, a bummer to the max!

IMG_7359.fairycooler

*No Stellans were harmed in the making of this blog post.

And you may have seen this already, but I did make a cake.

IMG_7285.coolercake

I shoulda put, "Dont Worry, Be Happy."

That would have fit so much better in my 80's theme.

And then.  I did something that is 'Classic Amanda'. (were finger quotes invented in the 80's?)

I forgot to take a picture of the inside.

I did, however, get a picture of Jennifer taking a picture of the inside.

IMG_7340.zaplight

And then I begged her to send me the picture she was taking of the inside.

Get-attachment3

And then I threw on my Bart Simpson "Eat My Shorts" shorts and watched Valley Girl, Say Anything, Dirty Dancing, Karate Kid, Heathers, a documentary about New Kids on The Block, and the A-Team.

The 80's are alive and well my friend.

Or not.

Detailed Instructions Here.

Your email address will not be published.

Comments

• Kristin says:

This post cracked. me. up. As a fellow child of the 80s, I was laughing and imagining you laughing as your typed, too!

• Kami Rude says:

Yummy! Can I tell you how fabulous this looks? I wish I had been there – but I will hopefully see you at Mudd Lake! Missing you much, feeling a little envious about your baking abilities ..

• stacy Ness says:

I love that you made that cake again and that you shared it that first time. I just made 5 of those cakes for our church’s Fall Festival. Can’t wait to see what people think tomorrow 🙂
    I did figure out how to get 4 cakes out of 6 mixes. 1 box for each color, then I baked them as directed in 9 in round pans. Once cool I would cut them in half horizontally. (I got a neat little tool for that at Walmart) Than make like you did before.
    Also if you use the 9 in square pans you can get 8 cakes out of 6 mixes. Do everything as above but with the square pan. But also cut them in half and you can get 8 brick like cakes. I will post pictures to my facebook soon so you can see. 🙂
    I really hope that all made sense 🙂
    Stacy

• Quing says:

The kids are so cute!
    The cake’s a brilliant idea! Looks so cool and yummy!

• Denise says:

Love that first photo of audrey and her friend crawling in the background…gorgeous cake looks delicious…wish I could have you, family and cake over for playdates!

• katie r. says:

Amazing skillz, Amanda. (sorry I jumped ahead to the 90s but you took all the cool 80s phrases)

• He & Me + 3 says:

YOu are totally crazy dude! I love this post & that cake looks like totally awesome! At first I was like how did she squeeze all those letters on a cookie and then I like read a little further only to find out it was a cake and then I was like YUM!
    PS-so glad no one like ate Stellan. 🙂 80’s were the best of times!

• Sunshine Mama says:

Those are great picts. I love how your daughter is eating Stellan. Stellan totally looks like his dad in the one pict of him staring at the camera.
    Man, you are a cook extrordinarre (sp)!
    I love your “team sunshine” idea. I actually used it in a story I wrote in my diet blog and mentioned your name if you want to read it. My diet blog is http://lose20poundsin10weeks.blogspot.com.
    My friend Jo even mentioned making t-shirts. 🙂

• Tina Fisher says:

You should read some of the comments on MckMama’s post. ALL the readers totally, yes totally! loved your cake. They all want the recipe!
    It was a fun playdate! So glad to see you again…as I mentioned earlier.
    I love your pics….do you just know how to take these great pics or what?
    Tina

• Katie says:

That’s so fun that Audrey is in a similar rainbow dress! I love the picture of MckMama taking photos. We know she looks like that quite often but rarely get to see it!
    Looks like a fun playdate!

• CFMama says:

When I saw that cake on MckMama’s website {with the cute writing on top} I knew you HAD to have made it. Kinda sad that I recognized your dessert handwriting. LOL. Anyway, I would definitely LOVE to have that recipe.

• Heidi says:

Still sad I missed it, but hoping to see you again soon! I don’t suppose they make a gluten free variety of that cake….
    (Oh and I totally would have been peeking in the pantry!)

• Carrie @ MartinManor says:

That cake is beautiful! And it looks delicious! What a fun day! So glad everyone had a great time and great food, yum! Love the pictures…and your inner 80’s! I don’t think we ever have enough times to channel that…LOL!

• maria cain says:

So it was YOU who made the cake!
    Random…. I just found (and started following) your blog after looking for more info on the Teddy Bear park (thank for your post on that, by the way), and that very same day I got mckmama’s cake envy, now to find out it was from you as well. It looks as though you might fill a little hole in my blog life 😉

• BP says:

Beautiful job on the cake! The colors are so bright.

• Amanda Sikes says:

That cake is so cute. It sounds like a fun day. Wish I lived closer so I could hang out too.

• Bethany says:

Wow! You and MckMama and the bloggy world stars. Fun Times. Now am I famous by association? Oh,well.
    So anywho… I’m glad you had a great time. So neat you could hang out with all those wonderful blogging mamas and got to play with the babies. I so have baby fever, but I don’t think another is on the way. That would be a bad place for me to hang out it looks like. 🙂
    You crack me up with all your 80s stuff. I was a child of the 80s, but since I was so isolated (HA!) I never got to into it. Actually, it’s more like I lived in a rural town where the 80s actually came in the early 90s. The joy of living in the middle of fields. Or in a house in the middle of a field. You know what I meant. I hope.
    Can’t wait to hear how your out of town trip went. Thanks for the giggles.

• Mandey says:

the cake is gorgeous!! i didn’t realize that you made it when i read MckMama’s post! Awesome!! I hope it tasted as wonderful as it was beautiful! 🙂

• Karen@SurvivingMotherhood says:

You are, like, so totally taking me back to the 80’s, girl!
    It’s totally awesome!
    And that cake? Wow. That’s all I can say.
    Well, that and, How much patience do you need to have to take on a project like that? I think that’s where I would fall down!
    Oh, and it reminds me of one other thing. But I don’t know if it’s comment-appropriate. But here I am. So, well, here goes!
    The cake also reminds me of the rainbow ice cream I bought once for my kids. I don’t know how much food coloring was in it, but the stuff gave my children the prettiest poop I have ever seen! Yes, this was back when I was still changing diapers.
    And I have never bought that ice cream again. Hopefully most of it came out! LOL

• Wendy says:

I am so making this cake next weekend.
    Wendy

• Amanda Rettke says:

LOL  I haven’t thought to look… but I just might now!!! 🙂

• Liz says:

You are a STAR now with that cake! I knew it was you when I read MckMama’s post! And I totally, like, love the 80’s!

• abby says:

Trying to think of an excuse to make that cake…..it’s beautiful! Totally reminds me of my Rainbow Bright days.

• gianna says:

okay, so you are totally my baking–well, i would say idol, but after all my posts about being sold out for jesus, i can’t–mentor. i tried mking a cake like that for maya’s birthday and it was HORRIBLE! (the colors were fanTAStic, but the cake made you want to throw up, luckily the none of the kids did) now, i am so so jealous and really REALLY want to meet you. can i have a pregnancy craving for your baked goods if i’ve never even had them?

• Laura says:

I LOVE the 80s…LOVE!! 🙂
    Okay, I am so glad you brought this up…I had to check out the pantry too.
    And the cake was a HIT! You’re awesome! I don’t think it looks very easy to make but I do think I might just have to make it for everywhere I go just to see people’s reactions…they were great! 🙂
    The kids and I had such a great time too, so glad we could go! And thanks for the pictures!

• I Am Baker Logo

Brand new recipes that people find kinda acceptable.

INTRODUCING...