My Dirty Little Secret

filed under: Miscellaneous on January 31, 2010

I have a dirty little secret.

And when I say dirty, I mean filthy.  Foul.  Obscene.  Offensive.

I need professional help with my dirty secret.

But I have to tell someone.  It cant go on any longer.

The silence must be broken.

This is my office.

IMG_7483.office

It is horrendous.  And I cant take it anymore.

IMG_7482.office

This might be hard to read.  It basically says JUNK.  EVERYWHERE.

So I spent some quality time next to a garbage can today.

Oh, and then I went and cleaned my office.

IMG_7494.office

Look what I found!

Space.  Lots and lots of usable space.  Happy Birthday to me!

IMG_7504.office

I just might even enjoy sitting at my desk now.

Do you have any spaces that could use a good before/after photo shoot?

Comments

• jaime says:

I soo need to do this. I just need an office period. Or a desk! I work on a card table. seriously. Love your set up and new-found organization! I may have to “before and after” tomorrow after work! Thanks!

• Kate says:

Wow! What a transformation!! Your desk looks like its in a magazine ๐Ÿ™‚
    I laughed (a lot and loudly) at all of your comments on the picture. Loved it!

• Londa says:

Ooo, it’s so crisp and beautiful all reorganized! I think it looks like spring–which I am very ready for! Lovely desk make-over! I am inspired! Now where to start?

• Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

Love your space! I’ve got a few areas that I really need to attack the paper piles…they accumulate so quickly.

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

Did I catch it correctly, it’s you birthday? Happy Birthday!
    my desk looks close and each week I clean it up and a few days later it’s a mess. trouble is I don’t have enough room to put the things I’m working on and it doesn’t help my computer is there and the desk is in my kitchen. Busy-busy spot! I just might take a photo now so you can laugh ๐Ÿ™‚

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

Wow! What a gorgeous space you have! I am jealous!

• Sarah says:

Firstly, Happy Birthday!!!! and your office looks wonderful. I love decluttering. LOVE it!

• Hayley says:

When I had my scrapbook stuff out, that is exactly what it looked like! Since Em was born, all my cubes are in the closet. I can’t wait to move in May and be able to have a room for them again!
    Your space looks great now!!! Fab job!
    Hayley

• Jessica says:

Well – your before picture looks like many spaces in my home!! I am so impressed at how clean you got it.

• Carrie @ Martin Manor says:

Oh, do I? Where do I begin? I have a picture of our basement on my post today…but it’s because we are finishing the other side so everything is piled up…but there are other rooms that have no excuse. Your office looks awesome! GREAT job! I would sit there and enjoy it!

• Marian (Sweetopia) says:

Ah, I even feel relieved looking at that. Your ‘new’ space looks spectacular!
    I need to clean up my cookie cutter collection… Hundreds of them stored in the laundry/storage room shelves in a mish mash of boxes etc. Thanks for the inspiration and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• Renee says:

Happy Birthday Amanda! Did you make yourself a cake? ๐Ÿ™‚ Your desk looks marvelous all sparkly clean, with all that space. Can you come do mine next?

• Casey says:

Looks like my desk in the before pic. ๐Ÿ™‚
    The after picture is just beautiful! Great job!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

• Deanna says:

LOVE the before and after! Happy Birthday!

• Bethany says:

Woo-Hoo! I’m so excited for you. I dream of the day our home will be big enough to have an office. Until that day, my piles of paper will continue to cover the beautiful limestone desk Doug installed for my computer.
    I am very impressed thoguh. Is it easy for you to get rid of stuff? If so, will you let me in on the secret?

• Amanda Rettke says:

Wanna know my secret for getting rid of stuff Bethany?  Let it pile up and sit in front of your face and make you crazy for a good year.  I finally just couldnt take it anymore!!!  Plus I had to make room for homeschooling stuff.  We are starting next fall! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sarah Robbins says:

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday dear friend! How tricky of you to sneak that in there! Hope your special day is wonderful. Are you doing anything fun?
    PS I love the office makeover, too! I have to do that from time to time. . .

• olivia says:

wow! what a make-over! i believe noticed a little scissor collection going on? truely inspirational! my “office” is a dump. i was sort of using it to study in about 4 months ago but the door remains closed most of the time to keep the puppy from going in there. that means it’s an easy place to dump stuff. hence, “my office is a dump”. i have 3 more months in nursing school and unfortunately, the living room has become my study space. i don’t even want to attempt to clean it up right now. i don’t even want to want to. know what i mean?

• gianna says:

i am so PROUD of you. It always feels so good to do that. I have lots of spaces in my house that need a before and after shot, but I will save that for another time! he he he!

• bp says:

Happy birthday!
    Our office area is a mess too. I’m in the process of working on it, I have one project at a time. Otherwise it’s too overwhelming. So far I’ve sorted books to keep or get rid of and organized my note cards.

• Erica B. says:

The After looks so awesome, its motivating me to clean up my messy work space.

• Michelle says:

Happy Birthday sweet friend!! What a nice birthday gift to yourself! I hope you enjoy every second of it!

• Leah says:

Our basement needs a dramatic before and after shoot. Dramatic.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

• Genny says:

It looks great!
    And how do you make your photographs so bright and close up? What kind of lens do you use?
    I’m trying to learn all the ins and outs of photography, but the things I photograph still look far away, even when I zoon! (I have a DSLR camera; not sure what you use?)

• mindy says:

WOW!! What a before and after! I love the feel of a clean house.. maybe that is why I am so OCD about it.