Personalized Birthday Book

filed under: Miscellaneous on August 25, 2010

I have been planning and preparing for Parkers birthday for over a month now!  It is actually over now, but I still have so many fun projects and highlights to share, I really hope you dont mind!

One of my favorite projects was this personalized book I made for Parker.  Its just a blank book for guests to sign and leave messages and notes for the birthday boy.  I hope he can look back on it one day and have fond memories!

IMG_0745.stamp

It all started with a book I found at a thrift store for twenty five cents.

IMG_0749.stamp

IMG_1043.stamp

I cut out white pages in card stock that I could glue directly to the existing pages.

IMG_0752.stamp

I wanted to add a fun detail for Parker, so I made little colorful pieces that would extend beyond the pages for built in book marks!  This is so easy… I just placed it between the pages before I glued it together!

IMG_0756.stamp

IMG_1045.stamp

IMG_1047.stamp

IMG_0757.stamp

Then again with the next element… a blue dot.

IMG_0763.stamp

IMG_1049.stamp

I will just go back a remove the pages I dont need.

IMG_1290.stamp

And moving on to the fished product…this is the first page!

IMG_1295.stamp

Each page had a picture of Parker as well.

IMG_1298.stamp

IMG_1301.stamp

And this was the final product from the outside… I also added his name and 'Happy Birthday' to the exterior binder.

As it sits on my desk, full of sweet birthday wishes and warm thoughts from family and friends, I have to say that it was worth it!  The cost was about $5 for the book, glue, paper, and printing off pictures.

But the lasting memories are priceless!

Next post… how I made a 30 foot garland for under seven dollars!

Comments

• Sarah Robbins says:

What a special memory. We did something similar for our wedding guest book. I love to look through it and read our friends’ well wishes. . .

• Becki D says:

Very cool and crafty!! Instead of removing all the old pages, though, you could just keep going and use the book each year.

• Paula says:

You took a simple book and made a loving and lasting memory for Parker. The cost might have been $5 but you can’t measure the love that went into it and the memories that will come from it. Well done!

• mama23bears says:

that is so special! what a wonderful idea!

• Gianna says:

You make me ill with how crafty you are.
    But you know I love you!
    The party was wondeful! I’m glad you had fun getting it ready!

• jen says:

so. cute.

• Julie says:

My friend has a booth at the Ren Fest here in MN and he is a book binder. he sells wonderful books like this made out of really cool marbled paper and other materials and beads..check him out, if you are out there and have a kid he does demonstrations where your kid can volunteer to help and actually get a free one to keep while he is showing how they are made..look near the baker stage..right in the bldg with the waterwheel..

• libby says:

how cute is that?! love it!

• cara says:

That is so precious and so memorable!! Great Idea!

• Renee says:

Such a great idea!

• Bethany says:

Very cool. I love how you made that. It’s one of my regrets that I didn’t do that for my kids when Brenda could have put her thoughts in there for them to cherish. I have something small that I wrote for them, but nothing like that.
    The bookmarks give that book a WOW factor. I’m sure he will cherish it. Hugs!

• ali says:

I love the idea of putting a picture of him on every page! Cute, cute, cute!

• ali @ an ordinary mom says:

I love the idea of putting a picture of him on every page! Cute, cute, cute!

• Ruth says:

That’s cute!
    But I only have one question… How do you shelf a book like that with all those fun do-dads hanging off of it? I mean, it can only sit on your coffee table for so long and then in his room somewhere… Oh I got it! You could put it in his room with one of those book stands and it could sit on his dresser or desk like a framed picture.
    Well now, I didn’t exactly mean to come up with a solution if you even wanted one but there it is ๐Ÿ™‚

• Alexia says:

That is so cool! I love you you just took a random book and made it into something else! I want to try this now!

• Lindsay says:

LOVE it! You’re so creative!

• BJ_Mama says:

Such a GREAT idea! I bet he LOVES IT!

• Amy K says:

How sweet is that?! I love ideas like this…gifts to treasure forever. Thanks for sharing it.
    Blessings…

• Jan says:

Do you ever sleep? Or eat? How can you possibly do all this cute stuff and bake too? Wow! I did a similar thing for my mother-in-law’s surprise birthday party and enclosed a memory card with return envelope when I sent out the invitations. They sent them back ahead of time so I had the scrapbook all ready on party day…she too loved it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jan@Little Glimpse says:

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh Amanda, that is SO cute! You are SUCH a good mommy!

• Super Mom says:

This is my first time to visit your blog and I like it.

• Erica B. says:

What a fun project!!

• Londa says:

Super cool memory book! I love the step-by-step directions…yes, I need those! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait for the next project!

• carma says: