The Explosion That Rocked My World

filed under: Miscellaneous on April 28, 2010
  • Pin
  • Around 5:00pm last night I figured I had better get dinner in the oven.

I had already been baking and decorating these cookies all day.

Did you know I bake?

I do.

A lot.

Like….

a lot.

IMG_3538.cookies

(No, you are not seeing things.  I have made these before.)

So I turned the oven again and sat down to finish adding eyes to little lions.

I kid you not, what happened next has left me scarred for life.

My oven started on fire.

And then sorta blew up.

Right. Before. My eyes.

Now.  Just to get the important details out of the way… no one was hurt.

Well.  Except me.

Did I mention I bake a lot?

IMG_3545.stove

After my oven caught on fire and exploded, and I sat downstairs rocking like a baby in the fetal position hubby got home, checked the breakers and everything, and called me upstairs to see this.

It was like a fine orange sulfur was covering the entire inside.  And we could see at the very back that the heating element had sorta burned itself up.

I am bummed.

Oh, so bummed.

On the upside, I am totally declaring this a PB&J home for the next few days!  No more bad cooking and endless baking sessions!

I feel like I have a new lease on life!

Well.  Until I need to bake something that is.  Then I am going to lose it.

• Pin

Comments

• Lucy says:

amanda, i am so glad you are all ok – that must have been a scary moment. the exact same thing happened to one of my friends less than a week before their housewarming party, only they busted out the fire extinguisher and ended up with a white coating over the majority of their house – talk about a major cleanup!!! anyway, just glad no one was hurt and that your cookies still turned out beautiful as always:)

• AprilG says:

Gosh, I am glad everyone is okay. That really must have scared the daylights out of you. Sorry about the oven, though.

• Erica B. says:

OH NO!!!! I am glad your safe. I can’t imagine as a fellow baker how hard it would be to not have my oven.

• tammy says:

Oh…. what a bummer!! Well, i’m am also glad that it wasnt worse. You could of been out back playing with the kiddos or worse yet ‘gardening’ while the children napped and not even noticed till the house was up in flames. Thank the Lord everyones fine. And now you get to get a much better ‘high effecency’ oven. YEAH!!! Because the ones they put in our lovely homes out here are just fantastic.(Hence the sarcasm) Have a great day Amanda. And i’m sorry to hear about the oven.
    P.S. I also love the new picture!! Very Pretty!!!!

• Tyler says:

OMGracious! I would have had a heart attack! So glad everyone is ok.. in your case I am so sorry that you cant bake.. in my case I would be jumping for joy that I dont have to cook for a little while ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Have a wonderful day girlie

• Kate says:

I am so thankful that neither you or my little buddies were standing next to that oven!! Praise God for His protection!
    My next thought is…. NEW STOVE! SCOOOORRRREEEEE!

• Amanda Jo says:

THAT IS INSANITY!!!!! I am so glad you all are ok!!

• min says:

I am trying not to laugh as I feel so badly for you! At least you are able to look on the bright side. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I am sure no appliance has known as much love as your oven.

• Christina says:

Not cool!!
    I’m glad you and the family are ok though!
    I hope it get’s fixed soon, until then enjoy not cooking!! Luck ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Angien24 says:

Oh My! I’m so glad no one was hurt and that it seems contained to just the oven. I hope a new oven is in the picture for you soon. I know you probably werent planning on having to go out and buy a new stove tomorrow. That’s how those things seem to happen to me anyway. We had to get a new dryer and it just wasnt on my original shopping list for that day. LOL.
    Have a wonderful day and enjoy your cooking break. =D

• CFMama says:

So glad nobody was hurt. That is crazy…Can you bake me some cupcakes? Hehe, just kidding.

• Liz says:

Scary! I’m glad no one was hurt but wow, that is something you don’t expect. On the upside you get to go shopping for a new oven! Yay!

• I think it was God’s way of telling you to take a break. Now you can enjoy this beautiful Minnesota weather we are having! Can you write off your new stove as a business deduction…because then you could really get the top notch model!! A stove really is mandatory for a baking business you know!

• Amy Kelly says:

Oh my gosh, that is so scary! I was actually terrified of my oven when I first moved into my apartment. It’s a super cheap model and there are openings in the bottom of the oven where you can actually see the flames from the heating unit and the oven produces sooo much heat (I actually can’t use it at all in the summer because my entire kitchen will reach upwards of 100 degrees). I was afraid the first few times I used it that it would actually start a fire.
    I’m glad you and your family are safe. Hopefully you’ll be able to pick out a shiny new, explosion free oven. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ali @ an ordinary mom says:

Scary! But maybe the silver lining could be the new oven you get to pick out soon… you do get to pick out a new one, right?!

• Liz says:

So scary!! Glad you are sorta ok…maybe this break will give you time to come up with 100′
    s of new ideas!! Baby cookies are SOO cute!!

• Ruth says:

I am SO GLAD you were not hurt and that it was like a mini-fire and didn’t get out of control.
    Hopefully you get the oven situation taken care of before you need to bake and have a full on melt down!

• Jeni says:

You poor thing, any idea how that happened? Is it under warranty?
    Does this mean you aren’t going to mail me cookies? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Amy says:

Whoa! I’m glad to hear that nobody was hurt, and that it didn’t get out of control!
    On a lighter note…your cookies are gorgeous as ever!

• Amber Hurd says:

Oh My that would have freaked me out. That is crazy. The cookies are adorable though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dana-from chaos to Grace says:

OMGosh that is SO SCARY!!! I’m glad you are OK, but WOW! I would have been in the fetal position too! LOL

• Grapefruit says:

Oh no! I am glad you’re all okay.
    This is usually my worst nightmare, I’m always expecting it to happen – I do things like leaving the stove on overnight and discovering it the next morning. ๐Ÿ˜

• Alisa says:

Glad nobody got hurt! I would have been calling for my momma, in fetal position, sucking my thumb.
    You are much braver than I am.
    Also, those cookies? My absolute favorite cookie I’ve ever seen of yours. Too adorable.

• mikeandkatie1 says:

Yikes! That would traumatize me too!
    I love your new profile picture! You look so professional and put together!

• Janna @ The Adventure of Motherhood says:

I know I would scream and then I’m not sure WHAT I would do.
    The cookies are adorable though. Hope they didn’t get harmed int he explosion.