Tis The Season

filed under: Miscellaneous on July 24, 2010
  • Pin
  • Its zucchini season around here, which means I need to come up with 27 news ways to incorporate zucchini into our meal every night.

I have scoured the internet and come across quite a few great recipes!  Zucchini pasta and cakes (like crab-cakes) and chocolate zucchini cakes and zucchini fries.  The list goes on and on!

But as my hubby was slicing some the other night, I got to thinking.  What about deep fried zucchini slices!  I had not seen that yet… but I have a feeling it would taste good!

(Apparently this technique has been around FOREVER.  It is not my original idea by any means.  It was just sorta new to me.)

I mean really, you could deep fry a shoe and it would still taste good to me.

Just sayin.

So anyway, I cut up two medium zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.

IMG_0859.stamp

Ok, so maybe that is a tad bigger then 1/4 inch.  I have never been good with details.

Then I whipped up a batter to dunk the zucchini in.

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp salt (I used Kosher)

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 egg

1 1/2 cups water

Mix together water and egg.  Combine dry ingredients, add wet to dry, and mix until incorporated.  It should be really thick!

Then just pick up a slice of zucchini and fully coat it in the batter.

No need to give it an egg wash or dry them off or anything.  The batter will stay on!

IMG_0866.stamp

Look at that.  Did I mention this dish is really good for you?  No?  Probably cause its not.

(I used Canola Oil for frying.)

IMG_0882.stamp

After they get nice a browned, just put them on paper towel so you dab up the excess oil.

Now here is an important part!  You can let these sit for a GOOD fifteen minutes before eating.  They will stay hot and they will stay yummy!

IMG_0894.stamp

We covered (and I do mean covered) these in our house blend

1 cup sea salt (or Kosher)

1/4 cup garlic salt

1/4 cup coarse black pepper

Eventually I just added a heaping tablespoon of that blend right to the batter, and we decided we liked that too!

IMG_0909.stamp

But I wasnt satisfied with just the salt.  I wanted more.

IMG_0927.stamp
    I wanted sweet!

So I just covered these in powder sugar.  I thought it was delicious, but hubby preferred the salted ones.

The nice thing about this recipe is, you can make both at the same time!

IMG_0943.stamp

IMG_0976.stamp

And you really cant go wrong with chocolate.

This is definitely our new favorite way to eat zucchini.

(Sorry that I keep ending my posts with questions) What is your favorite way to eat zucchini?  If you have blogged about it, be sure to post a link!  I would love to stop by!

• Pin

Comments

• Joy Ellis says:

To me, fried zucchini is the ONLY way to eat it!! LOL I love it! However, to make it even more yummy, I dip it in ranch dressing. hmmm..I think I may have to do this today!

• Gianna says:

Seriously? Chocolate and powered sugar on ZUCCHINI? You and my father in law would SO get along! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Janis says:

Hmmm – I should serve the chocolate/strawberry to Bekah and see if she eats it? lol I love zucchini bread – or in a spicy garlic stir fry. Have to say I have never had it fried! ๐Ÿ™‚

• 3rascalsmama says:

We fry summer squash and oh my!! I just do it the way my Granny did: slice thinly, coat with salt/pepper, let set a few minutes then flour and fry. It’s insane how much squash I’ve eaten this way in my lifetime.

• Renee says:

Its GREAT with a cucumber type sauce. We used to get them at a fancy restaurant back when I was in high school.

• Kristen says:

Wow, we (as in all 5 of us) all love zucchini, but we’ve never made it this way before. I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Looks delicious.

• Jessica says:

We love fried zucchini in our house. Seriously, it is the appetizer we order everywhere. I have only every made it with bread crumbs – not a batter. I need to. But then we may never stop eating it?!

• Krissy says:

I have a great zucchini muffin recipe and my kids LOVE them:)

• Megan says:

I love wonderful treat like this, and I’m sure my kids will love this new recipes. Better try this on weekend. Thank you for sharing this ๐Ÿ™‚

• LoveFeast Table says:

Looks like a snack to me!!! YUM! ~Chris Ann

• CM says:

Insane! Like, in a good way ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You are so creative. I think I would go for the salty ones too. YUM!

• Karen says:

I had a garden several years ago and had zucchini in abundance. Found a recipe for Zucchini Lasagna – zucchini strips instead of lasagna noodles. It.was.wonderful!

• Pamela says:

Wow..That is pretty nutritious to be cook for my family. Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to try this one.

• Margaret says:

In the south, we batter up and fry anything…or everything. Can fried zucs be any better??
    But uhm…I can’t wrap my mind around the sugared/chocolatey zucs. (but they kinda did look attractive, didn’t they?)

• Christina says:

Agreed Fried anything is delish! And no you can never go wrong with chocolate. It all looks yummy to me ๐Ÿ™‚
    I do have a way that I LOVE zucchini, I cube up chicken and zucchini and tons of garlic (I heart garlic, not the best thing since I’m nursing) and just sautรฉ it in tons of fresh squeezed lemons with some rice. It’s low cal and really yum. Disclaimer: My husband does not like this. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Alicia says:

Oh my gosh, I love fried zucchini!!! When I was younger, we’d always go to Denny’s after going out (LOL), and I’d always order that!!! The recipe is so easy!! I like mine with ranch dressing!

• libby says:

oh my gracious woman! don’t tempt me!! i LOVE fried zucchini. Have you ever tasted Spaghetti Warehouse’s fried zucchini. Oh it is heavenly!! Love your pictures too!

• tracie says:

I’ve only ever had zucchini bread..but this looks really good! Well…not sure about the sweet kind…but it looks pretty : )

• mindy says:

I can hardly wait until I have some to pluck from my garden! If it weren’t Sunday, I’d be off buying some so I could make these.. yum!

• Jessica says:

I looooooove fried zucchini. But since I’d rather not die of a clogged artery at 25, I do like them grilled,too.
    I’ve never heard of chocolate and zucchini. It sounds scary.

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

oh yum! i agree . . . frying anything is de-lish!

• Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, woman. You are one sheltered mommy. You’ve never had fried zuccini before this?? Now I need to know what else you haven’t tried yet…
    Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich?
    Sausage and Potatoes?
    Chili with Mayonaise?
    Fried green tomatoes? (Actually, I haven’t tried that one, so that really doesn’t count)

• Amanda Rettke says:

Yes, isnt it crazy?  Neither my husband or I had ever even heard of fried zucchini… I think its a south thing???  I have not heard of most of the things you mentioned!!! (cant believe I admitted that!)

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Aww…I remember my parents standing over the stove making fried zucchini with the zucchini from our garden. Oh, it’s so good!

• carma says: