The BEST Gravy

filed under: Food + Drink on November 20, 2009

The secret to the BEST gravy? It’s bacon!! And could not be easier!

So this week I made a turkey.  I love to be able to make a turkey for a week’s worth of meals… it smells so good and tastes so good and feels like such an accomplishment when I pull it from the oven all golden brown and glistening and sizzling.

I normally just throw stuff in the oven and hope for the best, and this was no exception.  Except after about 3 hours I pulled out my yummy turkey and realized the outside was looking a bit… dry.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

So I took a leap of faith and grabbed a pastry brush and went to town.

I figured if the combination was horrible and vile and completely unacceptable I would never tell a soul and all would be well with the world.

About an hour later I took my golden turkey from the oven and let him rest on the counter.

It tasted good.  I served the kids and started the gravy, using the drippings from the humble bird.

Ten minutes later I had an acceptable looking gravy.

I poured it over a nice sweet slab of white meat and took a bite.

IMG_2510.gravy

And surely was transported to my happy place.

I think I may have even groaned aloud.

It was the best, and I mean the best gravy I have ever tasted in my life.  That little bit of (and when I say little I mean at least a quarter cup) of bacon grease has seasoned that gravy within an inch of its life.

It was rich.  It was decadent.  It was good enough to drink.  (not that I did that…)

IMG_2594.gravy

The Best Gravy
Prep Time
10 mins
Total Time
10 mins

The secret to the BEST gravy? It’s bacon!! And could not be easier!

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: The Best Gravy
Servings: 10 servings
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
Basting
  • 1/2 c up to 1 cup of bacon grease
Gravy
  • 1/4 c turkey drippings
  • 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 c liquid juices from roasted turkey, broth, water
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Basting
  1. Prepare turkey as you normally would, only baste it with the bacon grease.
Gravy
  1. Pour drippings from roasting pan into bowl leaving brown particles in pan. Return 1/4 cup drippings to roasting pan.

2. Stir in flour.
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
  4. Stir in liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.

This entire recipe is basically how you BASTE the turkey. It’s done with bacon grease. That’s it! You can prepare your gravy from the pan drippings any way you want, but the key factor is how you basted that bird.

Seriously… I implore you… you MUST try this next time you cook a turkey. There is an occasion coming up quite soon right? 😉

I can’t even imagine how it would taste over creamy, fluffy white mashed potatoes.  It’s more than my little bacon grease loving brain can handle.

Comments

• Jessica @ How Sweet It Is says:

Oh my – you KNOW I LOVE this. I love using bacon grease. It is so delicious!!!!

• Sara says:

Bacon is good on everything. The end.

• Matt says:

Mmmmmm. You are making me very hungry!! Thanks for sharing!

• janis says:

I don’t even like bacon and you make me hungry!!! 🙂
    Yum, yum, yum!

• Kami says:

My husband would go crazy over this – he loves all things pertaining to bacon 🙂

• Amanda Jo says:

Oh I am SO going to do this! You have some of the BEST ideas. 😀

• Melissa T. says:

Okay, I am salivating. Sounds delish!

• Cate O'Malley says:

Oh man, you’re making my mouth water!

• bp says:

I’m looking forward to my Mom’s turkey and dressing! YUMMY!

• Tina Fisher says:

mmmm mmmmm good!
    Sounds like Thankgiving dinner is at your place!! 🙂

• Wendy says:

You won me over. Will try.
    Wendy

• gianna says:

heart attack city, but will you please come over to my house and cook for us? i’m really not THAT far away!!!

• Kathy D says:

Well, it seems it is either in the air or the water. I roasted a chicken this week and you will never guess 🙂 what i stuffed the inside with…. what is this preoccupation with bacon… it is so good… i put sliced onion and crispy bacon pieces both inside the cavity and under that flappy thing by “what used to be the neck” – the poor thing. It was of course delicious with the Bylerly’s (Pork loin seasoning) that i mixed togehter… isn’t that funny… Poultry Season is upon us and we are all thinking how perfect it would be to add piggy fat to the picture. Have a happy day!

• Bethany says:

Vindication! I get made fun of all the time for keeping bacon grease. My husband thought I was nuts until he tried it. His aunty dearest still likes to make fun of me about it though. I may have to try bacon on turkey. That would be new…even for me!

• Laura says:

I’m glad it was good…don’t think *I* can do it but maybe I can pass the tip on. 😉

• carma says:

Now I know you were being nefarious getting up in the middle of the night and slugging down that gravy 😉

• Liz says:

oh yum!! Turkey yum, bacon yum, whats not to like!! I must try this, I bet it would be good with a roasted Chicken too!

• Kristin Smith says:

What a great idea…I will HAVE to try that for sure! Thanks for sharing!
    Kristin

• Ruth says:

Ummm… I’m not so good with the grease or the gravy making, but it sounds really good.

• ellerbrookfamily.blogspot.com says:

My husband would so marry that turkey covered in bacon gravy!! Sounds delicious…will definitely have to try it!!!

• Jenney says:

Ok, this comment has nothing to do with bacon grease, because I can’t even stand the smell of bacon cooking in my house. I will eat a piece or two, but the smell and the grease drive me insane. Ok, so this comment DOES have something to do with it after all :o)
    Anyway, what I was commenting on was your chicken parm. recipe from yesterday. I made it for company tonight and it was a big hit. It will so be making a recipe card (I always try stuff a couple of times before commiting it to our recipe box). I even will be making it for a friend who had a baby yesterday. What a great meal to share! Thank you!

• Amanda Rettke says:

< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    Thats AWESOME Jenney!!!  I am so glad you liked it… isnt allrecipes.com wonderful???
    And BTW.  You dont like the smell of bacon?  That is too funny.
    Thanks for taking the time to tell me… I am really glad you found a recipe that you liked!!
    Blessings-
    Amanda

• Mags says:

Oh my….now you have me rethinking my whole Thanksgiving turkey!

• Sarah says:

I would never think to keep bacon grease….but now I think we may just have to have some bacon with our breakfast simply to have bacon grease to pour over our turkey! Who would have thought!!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Londa says:

Oh my goodness! I think we’re suddenly having bacon for breakfast! 🙂 You have found a way to make my family love me even more…thank you!!! (Yes, I win all affection through the stomach!)