The BEST Gravy

filed under: Food + Drink on November 20, 2009

The secret to the BEST gravy? It’s bacon!! And could not be easier!

So this week I made a turkey.  I love to be able to make a turkey for a week’s worth of meals… it smells so good and tastes so good and feels like such an accomplishment when I pull it from the oven all golden brown and glistening and sizzling.

I normally just throw stuff in the oven and hope for the best, and this was no exception.  Except after about 3 hours I pulled out my yummy turkey and realized the outside was looking a bit… dry.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

So I took a leap of faith and grabbed a pastry brush and went to town.

I figured if the combination was horrible and vile and completely unacceptable I would never tell a soul and all would be well with the world.

About an hour later I took my golden turkey from the oven and let him rest on the counter.

It tasted good.  I served the kids and started the gravy, using the drippings from the humble bird.

Ten minutes later I had an acceptable looking gravy.

I poured it over a nice sweet slab of white meat and took a bite.

IMG_2510.gravy

And surely was transported to my happy place.

I think I may have even groaned aloud.

It was the best, and I mean the best gravy I have ever tasted in my life.  That little bit of (and when I say little I mean at least a quarter cup) of bacon grease has seasoned that gravy within an inch of its life.

It was rich.  It was decadent.  It was good enough to drink.  (not that I did that…)

IMG_2594.gravy

The Best Gravy
Prep Time
10 mins
Total Time
10 mins

The secret to the BEST gravy? It’s bacon!! And could not be easier!

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: The Best Gravy
Servings: 10 servings
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
Basting
  • 1/2 c up to 1 cup of bacon grease
Gravy
  • 1/4 c turkey drippings
  • 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 c liquid juices from roasted turkey, broth, water
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Basting
  1. Prepare turkey as you normally would, only baste it with the bacon grease.
Gravy
  1. Pour drippings from roasting pan into bowl leaving brown particles in pan. Return 1/4 cup drippings to roasting pan.

2. Stir in flour.
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
  4. Stir in liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.

This entire recipe is basically how you BASTE the turkey. It’s done with bacon grease. That’s it! You can prepare your gravy from the pan drippings any way you want, but the key factor is how you basted that bird.

Seriously… I implore you… you MUST try this next time you cook a turkey. There is an occasion coming up quite soon right? 😉

I can’t even imagine how it would taste over creamy, fluffy white mashed potatoes.  It’s more than my little bacon grease loving brain can handle.

Comments

• Sarah Robbins says:

Okay, friend, you heard how I am hosting my first Thanksgiving next week. . . I am making the turkey and I am SO scared! Please, please, please I will love you forever if you post how to make turkey and gravy. I am praying it would go better than my dismal rainbow cake, but I PROMISE to read the directions all the way through by at least Monday! And I am a pretty good cook (by my husband’s accounting)- way better to start with than my baking skills.
    PS How do you get so much bacon grease?

• Christy says:

Great idea!! I LOVE making turkey. I cook mine all night long on as low as the over will go and wake up and it smells sooo good, our whole apartment smells of turkey! I can’t wait to prepare my turkey Wednesday night!!! Actually I love everything about preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I have decided that when we do move back to the states, we will not be going to the extended family every year, maybe every other or every 2 years because of how much I enjoy preparing this meal for our family! I may try the bacon suggestion for Christmas (hopefully by then the nausea will be gone and I can handle the smell of bacon being cooked in here again!)

• Margaret says:

Well, I surely would try that…if….uhm…I had an oven.

• CFMama says:

Yummm, bacon grease! I am no good at cooking large roasts or chunks of meat, whatever they are called. Hehe

• Amy says:

Oh, how I heart bacon! This sounds so fabulous….and not to be gross and disgusting, but this made me think of a conversation between my husband and another “gentleman”. This other man (who could be Larry the Cable Guy, that’s how he acts) pointed out that bacon is so fabulous, if it was wrapped in a turd, he would totally eat it.
    I would never eat turds, but I do love my bacon, and I will totally have to try this next time! Thanks for the tips!

• Pineapple Princess says:

I am hosting T-Day this year. I will DEFINITELY try this. Oh, the goodness! Your pics make it look all the yummier! 🙂
    Did you get your moolah from me yet?

• Kate says:

I never cook bacon from “scratch”. I buy the stuff you stick in the microwave for 10 seconds because that’s how I roll.
    Your gravy…oh sweet mercy I could eat that up with a spoon all by itself.
    The end.

• ElizaBeth says:

YUM! We make a version of biscuts and gravy with round steak instead of sausage. We use bacon grease for cooking the steak and gravy… SO yummy! answer to an earlier comment: We cook our bacon on a george forman grill and save all the drippings from the tray. (it makes the bacon crispier.) We store it in a canning jar in the frige to use later. We have tried the cook your “bird in a bag” and it makes a good turkey too without having to baste it. The skin in crisp and the meat is juicy. Doesn’t make it any easier to clean up though! The best part of turkey dinner is the leftovers!!!

• Amanda Rettke says:

< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    I just have to ask… how come you dont think you could do it? 🙂

• Holly Neaton says:

I read this the other day and thought yummy, but didn’t comment. But last night I was dreaming about bacon-infused turkey, so I am definetly doing this for Thanksgiving.
    Also, I just read your 100 things…we have a lot in common. Thinking I should do my own list.
    God bless – Holly

• ali says:

I think I just had an urge to lick my screen…
    Bacon and gravy, two of my favorite food groups!

• Katie says:

It’s been a tradition in my family for at least 4 generations to use thick smoked bacon for stuffing, wrapping & greasing the turkey plus make turkey gravy. Smoked bacon adds so much flavor! Have you tried smoked bacon dipped in chocolate yet? It’s awesome! We heart bacon!

• Miss Overballe says:

I have never made a whole turkey, but I frequently make turkey breasts, if I can get them. The best way to make those is to season the meat, cover it with bacon and stick it in the oven. The drippings make great gravy!

• Paula B Norby says:

My mama taught me that bacon grease was a condiment! She had a rack to cook bacon in the microwave and be able to pour the grease in the crock she kept her grease in. Before that she cooked on the stove top and saved it all. I also like the bacon for the microwave, which you can get a little grease out of if you crisp it in a pan. I have also gotten a pack of bacon ends and pieces and cut them into chunks good for the food prosser (I can’t spell that word!) and freeze for an hour or so. Pulse a few at a time until you have giblets of bacon. I fried them up in a dutch oven all together. When it’s done scoop out the bacon bits and let them on paper towels for a bit and bag them in a zip top and put them in the freezer. Now you have bacon bits and lots of bacon grease. Put some in the bottom of your preheated iron skillet and put you cornbread batter in. YUM!