Cornmeal Biscuits with Strawberries
These perfect homemade biscuits are kicked up a notch with the addition of cornmeal and the strawberries are infused with tequila for a REALLY amazing strawberry shortcake recipe!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1½ cups (192g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (61g) yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick, 113g) cold butter, cut into chunks
- ⅔ cup (163g) whole milk, (I don't recommend skim milk for this recipe)
- ½ teaspoon McCormick vanilla extract
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon tequila, can also use bourbon
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add milk and vanilla; stir to form a soft dough. (If the dough is dry, add additional milk a tablespoon at a time.)
Drop dough by ⅓ cupfuls about 2 inches apart onto the lined baking sheet, forming 8 biscuits. Flatten each biscuit slightly into a 2-inch round.
Bake about 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
About 30 minutes before serving, toss strawberries with granulated sugar and tequila in a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
To serve, split biscuits. Place 1 biscuit bottom on each plate. Top each with about ½ cup strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Place the top of the biscuit over whipped cream and serve immediately.