Cherry Chocolate Magic Brownies start with a brownie base topped and baked with maraschino cherries, chocolate chips, almonds, and sweetened condensed milk. It’s like enjoying chocolate-covered cherries in a brownie! If you love the flavor combination, be sure to try my Chocolate Cherry Brownies.
Cherry Chocolate Magic Brownies
If you love the flavors of chocolate and cherries, these are the brownies for you! Instead of the classic magic bar, this dessert starts with my brownie batter from my French Silk Brownies. Then, it’s all about the cherries and chocolate baked on top. Of course, the magic is in the sweetened condensed milk.
Brownies: The base layer of these decadent bars come from my go-to brownie batter that is used in my Brownie Pudding Dessert. It will give you the fudgiest, most chocolatey brownies you will ever crave! If you don’t have Dutch-processed cocoa, you could use regular unsweetened cocoa.
Cherries: Look for a jar of maraschino cherries. Be sure to reserve the cherry juice, too! Since the cherry juice is important to mix with the sweetened condensed milk, I do not recommend using fresh or frozen cherries instead.
Chocolate: For even more chocolate, I added a layer of chocolate chips.
Nuts: I love the nutty crunch that almonds give the bars. They also complement the chocolate and cherry flavors. You could leave them off if preferred.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: The sweetened condensed milk in the recipe is why these are magic bars. The condensed milk adds a silky sweetness to the brownies and helps hold all of the ingredients together. Be sure to look at the cans carefully when purchasing so you don’t end up with evaporated milk. In addition, do not use the entire can; you will only need 3/4 cup.
How to Store
Cherry Chocolate Magic Brownies can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator, covered. They will last 4-5 days.
Can I Freeze Cherry Chocolate Magic Brownies?
Sure! After the brownies have been baked and cooled completely, place them in the freezer to flash-freeze for about 2 hours, or until solid. (I like to cut the bars before freezing.) Then, store the bars in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Cherry Chocolate Magic Brownies
- 1 ½ cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (39 g) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks / 170 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained, juice reserved
- ¾ cup (234 g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (168 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup almond slivers, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer on medium-high speed, beat the eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer off, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Turn the mixer on low and mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Drain cherries, reserving the juice.
- Slice maraschino cherries in half; set aside.
- In a small bowl, add about ⅔ of the reserved cherry juice and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well and set aside.
- Top the brownie batter evenly with the cherries, chocolate chips, almonds, and sweetened condensed milk mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and brown.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely and set before cutting and serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.