Chocolate cravings cannot be ignored! This perfectly proportioned cake will definitely satisfy every single craving! If you love the chocolate version, don’t miss my White Snack Cake!
Chocolate Craving Cake
I wanted a chocolate cake. No, I needed one. But I didn’t want to make a huge cake or get out special cake pans.
I just wanted the most decadent, rich chocolate flavor without a whole lot of fuss.
This cake fits the bill! Paired with a chocolate frosting that is nothing like I have ever imagined!
You will notice that there is no added sugar in the frosting. It is meant to complement and contrast the sweet cake! If you prefer a sweeter frosting I recommend halving this Chocolate Buttercream recipe.
Make sure you prepare your dish well! I love using GOOP (Homemade Pan Release) in this recipe.
If you plan on serving your cake right in the pan as I did, try my tips for baking a level cake.
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (63g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (100g) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (55g) oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (118g) boiling water, can use coffee
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with parchment paper and spray sides and bottom. If using a metal baking pan, heat oven to 325°F.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of stand mixer.
- Add in egg, milk, oil, and vanilla and mix on low until incorporated. When mixed in increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add in boiling water and gently stir- batter will be very thin.
- Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick is removed.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then continue cooling on a rack until room temperature.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips in the microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each heating, until they are fully melted.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and stir by hand until frosting is well combined and fluffier.
- Spread over cooled cake.
This Chocolate Craving Cake shared with permission from The 8×8 Cookbook.