Dark Chocolate Cookies with Champagne Buttercream

filed under: Chocolate Cookies on December 30, 2011

I meant to post this last week, but never was able.

Please accept my sincere apologies.  I wish I could send you each some of these cookies to make amends.

They are absolutely amazing.  Completely decadent.  Totally befitting an enchanting evening such a New Years Eve.

I used Sprinkle Bakes Chocolate Sugar Cookies.  She describes them as being ideal for decorating, and I couldn’t agree more!

The champagne buttercream is just a basic recipe I have been using, with the substitution of champagne for the heavy cream.

Champagne Buttercream

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

Tips for success:

Use a good quality cocoa.  These cookies are rich and you can really taste the deep cocoa flavor.  The better the cocoa, the better the cookie.  Seriously, Heather knows her stuff.

Use a champagne you enjoy.   You only need three tablespoons for the recipe… wouldn’t it be a shame to let an opened bottle of champagne to go to waste?

If you want to make the cute little poinsettia design I did, simply grab a Wilton #366 tip and have at it.  I threw on some gold sprinkles for good measure.

Have fun!  Lick the bowl and eat some cookie dough.  Then run 27 miles so you can fit into your pretty New Years Eve outfit.

P.S.  I am totally going to post the Snow Globe tutorial soon!  Its on my list!

Comments

• Brian @ A Thought For Food says:

Gorgeous! Truly gorgeous! I’m always in such awe when I see this kind of talent. Beautiful!

• Sylvia (MyLovelyBites) says:

I’ve been following this blog for a while, but never got around to leave a comment (I know, I’m horrible!) so just let me say how amazing these cookies, and all your other creations for that matter, are! I even wanted to make your Rose Cookies for my wedding, but didn’t find Crisco in time (Australia, you know..). Now I have stocked up and can’t wait to be trying these as well! Happy 2012!

• Bethany says:

I REALLY want to try this icing recipe!! Sonuds wonderful!

• Rosie @ Sweetapolita says:

Happy New Year, Happy New Year! These are incredible, A. The dark chocolate cookie looks perfectly rich & decadent, and then Champagne Buttercream is a gorgeous way to give it a really luxurious flair. I love everything about these, and your photos are lovely too! Hugs from your Canadian buddy xo

• Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) says:

Can just imagine how fabulous these must taste! And the poinsettia shape of the champagne buttercream is just perfect…with the gold sprinkles, too. Cheers for the New Year!

• Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen says:

Oh. My gosh. I can just feel all that frosting in my mouth! You made a beautiful design also, you are so talented! I hope you’re having a very happy new year.

• Kocinera says:

Those cookies look so pretty! And the champagne icing is perfect for New Years. Yum!!

• elaina says:

oh.my.word. again.

• Jennie says:

Oh My!!! These are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing.

• Kristen says:

Such pretty cookies! Happy new year!

• Christina says:

Oh my goodness, this sounds just delightful!!! I have a Bridal Shower coming up soon, and us girls throwing it are having a more “intimate” party later that evening with the Bride (though she doesn’t know it yet ;] ) and these would just be perfect treats for that!! I look forward to making them and trying out that butter cream recipe especially!

• Christina says:

Hey, I was wondering, Do you have any advice/experience/go-to recipes for a peanut butter icing or filling for a layer cake?

• Susan says:

Love!

• susan says:

I will drink to these! They look absolutely delicious, festive, and the use of champagne – genius!

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Champagne buttercream, ooo-la-la!!!

• Anna says:

Oh, those look amazing! I love sneaking champagne into baking/cooking (it gives me a reason to have a glass while doing so). My daughter and I made champagne cupcakes with champagne buttercream for New Years!

• Curt says:

These cookies sound great. But that frosting sounds absolutely delicious!

• Amy says:

I wish I didn’t miss these when you posted them! They would have been perfect for New Year’s Eve for sure. But I’ll have to think of another occasion for champagne buttercream. Valentine’s perhaps?

• Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch says:

Oh my gracious, Amanda! I can’t wait to give these a try soon. I bet they would be perfect for a shower or a wedding reception, too!

• Nikki @Pennies on a Platter says:

Oh wow. I really hope I have a celebratory reason to make these sometime soon so I don’t have to wait until New Years next year! What beautiful cookies, Amanda. 🙂

• Cain - Table Covers says:

Lovely. I will pass this on to the females in the family.

• MikeVFMK says:

Oh my. Champanged buttercream? Time to get tipsy! And cookies. Perfect! I always munch when hittin the bubbly. I can taste the celebration in my mouth already!

• Sidney L. says:

Hi Amanda! I was wondering if this champagne buttercream gets firm the way the buttercream you use on your rose cookies does? I want to make some for my friend’s birthday – she is obsessed with both sugar cookies and champagne so these would be perfect! – but I wanted to know if you can stack them without ruining them? Any help would be greatly appreciated! And keep up the good work! Your blog is wonderful!

• Wenderly says:

STUNNING as always! Happy belated New Year to you!

• Wenderly says:

STUNNING as always! Happy belated New Year to you love! These would be perfect any day of the year!