Red Velvet Fudge

filed under: Candy on December 10, 2010

I suddenly got this brilliant idea that I wanted to make Red Velvet fudge.  So I sat down and googled it, hoping for a great, no fail recipe.

Those words are very important to a bad recipe follower like myself.

IMG_5666.stamp

No such luck.

I couldnt even find a match for ‘red velvet fudge’.

I was totally dejected.

IMG_5671.stamp

Then it hit me… I could create a recipe!

At the very least, significantly modify an existing one.

IMG_5685.stamp

I started here, with Martha’s Foolproof Holiday Fudge.

IMG_5789.stamp

I added food coloring and used white chocolate chips and red cherry flavored chips.

Talk about significant modifications. *snort*

IMG_5751.stamp

Thing is, this recipe is just not my favorite.  It was good, but not mind blowing.

IMG_5818.stamp

(side by side comparison of the two recipes I made… I love the texture on the second)

So then I found a recipe on allrecipes.com.  I read it twenty seven times.  I read every comment.

I figured, if I could make a recipe for red velvet fudge, like real red velvet fudge, it would be from this one.

IMG_5828.stamp

IMG_5808.stamp

If you ever try this, please let me know what you think!

Happy Holidays!

IMG_5859.stamp

Red Velvet Fudge
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
cool
1 hr
Total Time
40 mins

I suddenly got this brilliant idea that I wanted to make Red Velvet fudge. So I sat down and googled it, hoping for a great, no fail recipe.

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Red Velvet Fudge
Servings: 25 small squares
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 2 c white sugar
  • 1/4 c cocoa
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. red gel food coloring
Instructions
  1. Using a 5×9 pan (typically same size as banana bread pan, if you want thinner pieces, use 8×8) line pan with wax parchment paper or wax paper.

2. Make sure you have some extra on all four sides.
  3. Combine sugar, cocoa, buttermilk, sweet condensed milk (if you choose to add it), and food coloring in a non stick pan. (I used a big pot) Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, but do not scrape down the sides. (to avoid getting crystallized sugar in fudge)

4. Using a well calibrated thermometer, make sure the fudge gets up to 238 degrees.
  5. Reduce heat and allow fudge to simmer. DO NOT STIR. At all. Like seriously dont even touch the pan.
  6. Allow fudge to cool to 110 degrees and add butter and vanilla.
  7. Beat by hand or use electric mixer until fudge loses its sheen. (I used an electric mixer for 20 minutes. Not kidding. Some folks say this stage takes 3-5 minutes.)

8. Place in prepared pan and allow to cool, usually 1-2 hours.
  9. This recipe yielded 25 small squares.

*Next time I make this I am going to try 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk… I think it could handle a little more sweetness!

Happy Note to Share:

I had read that a great way to clean your pot after baking fudge is to add some milk, reheat the pot, then enjoy a wonderfully delicious cup cocoa… or in our case,  Red Velvet Hot Cocoa!!

Yes, I really did just say Red Velvet Hot Cocoa.  I actually did that and can attest to its wonderfulness!!

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Josie Droll says:

@shannon haas-i think you should probably try to bake this for lover boy:)

• Hannah says:

Okay, I have to say when I saw the instructions for your first version of the fudge, I was upset that you were calling it red velvet, because white chocolate and cherry are not the right flavors at all! But I’m glad I kept reading, because the second one sounds not only true to form but delicious! I love making fudge–it is by far the easiest candy to make. I’ll definitely try this. Oh, and whoever asked for a red velvet cake recipe, the best one that I’ve found is from the Kiss My Bundt cookbook by Chrysta Wilson: http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Bundt-Recipes-Award-Winning/dp/0977412024/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315278647&sr=1-1
    It’s amazingly moist and wonderful! I always have requests for more.

• M. Bell-Ferguson says:

I’m so loving this recipe/idea. I wonder if I could use beet juice for the color to keep it natural. hmmmmmm

• Charlotte Ferreux says:

I love this recipe and blog…I posted it on my community foodie blog. Hope you can come check it out http://www.facebook.com/thefrenchiefoodie
    Also, feel free to post you’re recipes or you’re favourite foodie tips on it whenever you like!

• Brenda Hayes says:

I love this idea,I have got to try it!! Can you add a cream cheese fudge icing are the icing are does it already taste like it has the icing?
    I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY IDEA WITH YOU ALL,I MAKE THE GOURMET CHOCOLATE FUDGE WITH PECANS,AND BUY A CAN OF GERMAN CHOCOLATE ICING AND PUT ON THE TOP AND IT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! I JUST CALL IT GERMAN CHOCOLATE FUDGE.I HOPE YOU ALL WILL TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT,AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RED VELVET RECIPE!! I LOVE IT!!

• Anonymous says:

Ooohhh!!!! Sounds yummy! Now to find a good cream cheese fudge recipe & make a 2 layer fudge!

• The Archie's says:

This recipe is awesome, I would like to post it on my blog with a link back to you. Butterfly Cottage Family Recipe’s.
    I recently posted a Red Vevet Cake Recipe too.

• Mictrue says:

Can I substitute an oil for the butter? If so any certain kind.

• Sandra says:

I just made this today and for some reason it didn’t set. It got really gooey, but it’s definitely not fudge. 🙁 Does anyone know what might have happened? I followed the recipe (well I did use “fake” buttermilk like someone had suggested because I didn’t have any).

ps I will be eating it with a spoon, but I can’t give it out as a gift, as I had intended.

• Amanda says:

So sorry! One thing I have learned with fudge is that a good thermometer is KEY. I just made some caramels and realized that my thermometer was at least 5 degrees off. My soft ball stage turned into hard and nails suckers!

But I am so sorry that yours were not presentable!

• amy says:

I made this today and it tastes great, but I did have the same problem as Kristin Morris. I really had to force it into the pan! Oh well, as long as it tastes good I’m happy!

• Amanda says:

I am so sorry!! Fudge can be SO temperamental. I just feel awful when it doesnt work like it supposed to. 🙁

• StephanieG says:

Oh. My. Awesomeness! I tried this recipe on a lark and it is now my new holiday favorite! I made one regular batch that turned out beautifully. I needed more, so I doubled the recipe, thinking it would be faster to do one big batch, rather than two more small ones. Big mistake. The single recipe was perfect – the texture was just right, the color perfect. The double batch didn’t work nearly as well. I’ll stick with the small batch in the future and just plan to make multiples.

Super recipe – thank you so much!!

• Cookie says:

OK – you did say a “reliable” thermometer didn’t you? Well, my thermomether is over 20 years old and I made this delicious recipe using 1/2 buttermilk and 1/2 sweetend condensed milk, inserted my thermometer and wait for the 238 degrees. Just one problem – it smelled like it was burning at around 210 so I stuck in my two backup thermomethers and yep, I was at 249. Now I have this sticky guey delicious stuff (not fudge at all). So now I’m thinking what can be made with this when the light bulb when off – Red Velvet Almond Candy. So I cooled the batch, took a T in my hand and rolled it around a toasted whole almond and wrapped in colored celophane and twisted the ends. THIS IS GOOD STUFF!!!

Now I have to get a new therm and make the fudge again. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us! 🙂

• Amanda says:

I like the way you think… and man, that sounds fantastic!!!

• Erin says:

Yeah, this was a massive fail for me, too. Not sure what I did. If you’re supposed ot keep simmerng, how long does it take to get to 110? I had it simmering for well over an hour and it wasn’t budging below 200. So i turned off the heat and it cooled down, but then it got pretty hard. I reheated it to add the butter and vanilla and it softened a bit, but not much and I basically removed it in a big clump to put in the pan. Once it set, I couldn’t even cut it – I had to literally snap it over my knee! Needless to say, it ended up in the trash. Hoping to try it again soon, but any tips on what I might have done wrong?

• Amanda says:

Hi Erin! It sounds like it went past the soft ball stage to hard ball stage and turned into a sucker. It is really important to use a thermometer with this recipe. I am so sorry you had a bad experience… sounds like you didnt even get to try some! 🙁

• Jess says:

This recipe looks phenomenal! I must try! Not to mention everything I’ve seen you post. I’m really excited to explore more!

In response to those having difficulty with their thermometers, I rarely use one, and when I do, it’s primarily for back up. There are ways of checking your sugar while it’s cooking to see if it’s soft ball. Once you notice your sugar boil, keep an eye on it. It will start with small bubbles and they’ll get bigger and slower. Once you notice the bubbles are getting bigger,  dip a spoon in the sugar, and immediately let it drip into a wide glass of cold water. Hot sugar is very dangerous so be careful not to touch it until it has landed into the cold water. Once in the water, you can stick your hand in and play with it. Try and ball it together. If its too loose, your not there yet. Just repeat this ever minute until you can just start to form it into a very soft ball (hence the term soft ball). If you wait too long and the sugar hardens right when you put it into the cold water, it’s way past the point you need for the recipe. Either scratch it or red velvet hard candies it is!

Hope that’s somewhat helpful. I’m sure you can find more information online about finding the soft ball stage of sugar without having a thermometer.

Now to go make me some red velvet fudge!

• Diane Balding says:

do you think that maybe you could use blue to match the footballs teams for the Superbowl ??

• a says:

I tried this last night and I was so excited when I got home with all the ingredients but after it got to 238 I turned off the heat but it just kept boiling and getting hotter…..it got up to almost 300 then one recipe I read said to add the butter to make it cool faster so I tried that…..but the whole batch just turned to sugar 🙁 its a very tasty clump of red sugar….but not fudge 🙁 ….and ideas on what could have gone wrong? I want to try again in a couple days!

• GLC says:

I made this recipe for Valentine’s Day and used both buttermilk and condensed milk. Did I miss something? No marshmallow? Mine tasted bitter! Suggestions because I would like to try again. I also tried to look up red velvet fudge on Pinterest and could not find it and only 1 fudge recipe.

• Elizabeth Willett says:

wow, i have looked for this for soo long Thank you, im going to try this

• Brittany says:

I got the right consistency, but it tastes a little bitter…. I didn’t use the condensed milk though… so I might try that next time!
    Thanks!

• Suzanne says:

Sometimes food coloring, especially in large quantities, are bitter. Don’t know how to fix that though, unless maybe use a different brand.

• Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies says:

This stuff is GORGEOUS! Cannot wait to try it!

• Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies says:

I think I let mine cool too long (my candy thermometer is rather old and decidedly unprofessional). It turned dry and sugary! SO disappointing!! I also used the sweetened condensed milk, and it was extremely sweet. Hmmm… I think this warrants a second try.

• Sue Betz says:

I made a fudge following my microwave recipe for fudge & used raspberry chips instead of chocolate
    chips. Now I can’t find the raspberry chips anywhere……not even around Christmas Holidays.
    My Grandson loved the raspberry fudge. Wanted more myself.
    Does anybody know where I can find the raspberry chips ?

• ZooeyS. says:

Looks delicious! but how long do you let the fudge simmer before stirring?
    Thanks a million!!

• Meagan says:

I want to know too! My fudge is syrupy and I think it’s because in only simmered for a minute!

• Tara says:

I just made your fudge and so far it seems PERFECT!! I think I overheat it bcs it literally turned to fudge in my pot. But I just smashed it into a tray and into the fridge it went. The bearers tasted wonderful!!! I’m gonna make the red velvet hot cocoa later. Yippee!! I will say I didn’t wait till it dropped to
    110, it was about 135 degrees when I added butter and started mixing.

• Amanda says:

YAY!!! You did great!

• Joyce says:

I had such a hard time getting the candy thermometer to reach 238. Then waiting for it to cool back down to 110. I took much too long.
    I will not be making these again.
    Sorry.

• Amanda says:

Hi Joyce… sounds like you may have a thermometer issue, not a recipe issue. Sorry there was any issue though. Happy baking.