Piled high with fresh pico de gallo and slaw, Steak Tacos prove that healthy can be both satisfying and full and flavor! For another protein-packed recipe, try my Marinated Steak Bites. Be sure to find out why heart-healthy recipes are so important to my family now! <3
I am sharing the recipe because of a recent scare we experienced. My husband suffers from Atribular Fibrillation and had surgery to help correct it. There was a major complication and he almost didn’t survive, but thankful he is healing now and doing better! However, through it all, we decided that introducing some “heart healthy” meals to our weekly dinners. It’s been good for all of us and of course, delicious!
Heart Healthy Steak Tacos
Did you know that 47% of Americans have at least one risk factor for heart disease? That number is a lot higher than I thought, but it’s good to know that there are some factors that can be controlled, like quitting smoking, getting exercise, and diet. Your diet may be the first thing that is somewhat easy to change right away, and Heart Healthy Steak Tacos are a delicious way to get on the right track. For more information and statistics on preventing heart disease, check out this Healthline article, Everything You Need to Know About Heart Disease.
Heart Healthy Steak Tacos Recipe
When you see tacos on a menu, you probably would not consider them very healthy, especially filled with red meat like steak! Plus, with the basket of chips and salse continuously being refilled at some restaurants, it’s easy to see how a meal can easily be packed with sodium and saturated fat! Well, I am here to tell you that you can get a heart-healthy taco that is also full of flavor! Plus, preparing meals at home can also save on some unhealthy options!
It’s all about choosing the right ingredients to keep your heart in shape! Just wait until you read how heart-healthy a lot of these ingredients are!
- Flank steak–Flank steak is one of the healthiest cuts of beef! It has lots of protein and fewer calories than a ribeye or porterhouse, but with lots of flavor!
- Chili powder
- Turmeric–Turmeric is full of minerals and nutrients to keep us strong and healthy!
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil–Olive oil can protect red blood cells from damage that could lead to heart disease.
- Corn tortillas–Corn tortillas have fewer calories, saturated fat, sodium, and sugar than flour tortillas. Plus, they are less processed (more fiber and magnesium) which makes them better for your muscles!
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- Avocado–Avocados are full of healthy, beneficial fats. In addition, they are a wonderful source of vitamins!
- Tomatoes–Tomatoes contain lycopene, which can lower your ‘bad cholesterol’ (LDL) and potassium, which is a mineral that can help lower blood pressure.
- Jalapeno–These little peppers have a lot of nutritional value, including keeping your heart healthy because of the capsaicin, what makes these peppers hot!
- Green onions–Green onions are packed with Vitamin A which you need to create new blood cells!
- Black beans–There are many health benefits of black beans, including being high in protein and fiber. They are also known to help strengthen bones and lower blood pressure.
- Corn kernels
- Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Red cabbage–Since red cabbage is full of potassium, it is a great food to eat to help lower high blood pressure.
- Greek yogurt–Greek yogurt contains probiotics to help your intestines work how they should, it is protein-packed, and it helps brain function (Vitamin B12).
- Garlic–Garlic can improve cholesterol levels, fight the common cold, and help reduce blood pressure!
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
How to Make Heart Healthy Steak Tacos
Before you cook the flank steak, combine the seasonings and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to get all the flavor in the steak. While the steak is chilling, you can prepare the pico de gallo and the slaw. It’s all about mixing the fresh ingredients together to load onto your Heart Healthy Steak Tacos. Your pico de gallo and slaw can also chill until you are ready to use them.
To cook the flank steak, it’s all about the heat! Flank steak is lean red meat, so it tends to dry out if cooked above medium (145°F). However, if you want it a bit more done, 155°F is medium-well and 165°F is well done. I recommend cooking the steak to about 130°F and letting it sit for 5 more minutes, covered in tin foil, away from the heat. The final temperature will read 135°F, medium-rare, because of the ‘carry-over cooking’.
How to Cut a Flank Steak
Now that you have your steak done to your liking, it’s about cutting it. Again, wait a few minutes before doing this so all the juices don’t get out! Once you are ready to cut, look for the muscle fibers, or grain, of the steak. Cut along the grain for easier cutting and don’t let your slices be more than 1/4-inch thick.
To assemble your Heart Healthy Steak Taco, put the steak, pico de gallo, and slaw on a corn tortilla. I had one with a tortilla, and one with just the steak, pico, and slaw, and both were just as tasty! The pico de gallo is also great on chips, but the chips are not part of the heart-healthy theme of this recipe😊
Filled with fresh pico de gallo and slaw, Heart Healthy Steak Tacos are good for your heart and your taste buds!
- 1 1-pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- ¼ cup green onions, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 teaspoons fresh garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
With the flank steak on a cutting board, score a diamond pattern on both sides of steak. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cover the steak with the seasonings, cover and chill 1 hour (up to 8 hours).
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, place steak in the pan and cook 5-8 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and cover it with foil. Allow it to rest for 5-6 minutes and then slice it across the grain in ¼ in slices.
- Set aside (tent to keep warm)
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, black beans, corn, lime juice, cayenne pepper, and salt. Chill in refrigerator until you are ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl whisk together mayonnaise, greek yogurt, lime juice, and garlic. Add in jalapeno, cilantro, cabbage, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Chill in refrigerator until you are ready to assemble.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon steak mixture evenly over each of 8 tortillas. Top each taco with salsa and slaw.