I am so excited to share these Tangled Christmas Lights Cupcakes with you today! They are super fun and SO easy! If you want more Christmas baking ideas, be sure to check out my Christmas Cookies and Christmas Cakes!
Christmas Cupcake Ideas
I know I say it often, but these cupcakes REALLY are easy. There is a video below and you can see that it takes just a few seconds to put together. I like to place the rainbow chips or sprinkles by hand, but you sure can just sprinkle them on! This cupcake is super fun to make with kids and to bring to holiday gatherings!
I made some of my favorite chocolate cupcakes, then made a half batch of buttercream frosting and simply tinted it deep green. You can use green food color and add just a tiny amount of black to get a deeper green color. The buttercream recipe that I linked to is big, so feel free to halve it if you are only making 12 cupcakes.
To Make a Tangled Christmas Light Cupcake:
Using a #4 tip and holding the bag over cooled cupcakes, just start squeezing and let the frosting just pile up on itself. Try to end the flow of chocolate at the bottom of the pile of frosting.
You really can’t mess these up… the messier the better!
I then went back in an placed some circle sprinkles from Cake Mate. You can also just pour sprinkles on top. I found that the shape of these larger sprinkles actually worked better than the small round ball sprinkles.
So fun, So easy!
Now if only it were so easy to untangle my Christmas tree lights.
I made a video of how to made these cupcakes!
In the video I used some Mini Rainbow Chocolate Chips.
Not only do they look fun, but they are the most delicious sprinkles out there!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, so prepare one pan (or maybe two) with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment; add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk on medium speed until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the stand mixer and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low.
- As soon as you are done adding the flour turn the mixer off. (You do not want to over-mix!)
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Recipe from Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes
Where did you get your rainbow chip sprinkles? I can’t find them anywhere. I would really appreciate an answer. Thank you.
My local grocery store.