The creamiest, cheesiest, best easy bacon macaroni and cheese you’ve ever had! Made with three kinds of cheese and plenty of freshly cooked bacon!
Bacon Macaroni Cheese
This is it. This is the ultimate comfort food. This Easy Bacon Mac and Cheese is simple to make, rich, creamy, cheesy, and absolutely loaded with flavor.
If you love a nice and easy mac and cheese recipe, you’re going to love it even more when you get to add BACON.
We’re not just adding bacon, we’re going to build our creamy cheese sauce by starting with just a bit of bacon grease and a little bit of butter, and things just continue to get better from there (no, this definitely isn’t health food). Let’s dig into exactly how we’re going to make this ultimate bacon mac and cheese.
How Do I Make Bacon Macaroni and Cheese?
We’ll start by cooking the bacon in a large pot (preferably a Dutch oven, if you have one). Cook the bacon until it’s crisp and browned and then remove it with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and drain all but about a Tablespoon of bacon grease (you’ll want to leave a bit in for flavor, trust me!).
Now we’ll make our cheese sauce, starting with butter (like I said, not exactly health food) and a bit of flour, then adding our milk and seasonings, and finally our cheese. You can generally substitute your favorite shredded cheese to suit your preferences, but I recommend using a mix of sharp cheddar and mozzarella, and definitely, don’t omit the 2 oz of cream cheese! It gives this easy bacon mac and cheese a great rich flavor.
Lastly, add your cooked pasta and your bacon pieces and give everything a good stir.
This bacon macaroni and cheese requires no fancy breadcrumb toppings and no baking.
Stir everything together and serve it right out of your pot for the best, creamiest side dish you’ve ever had.
This is a winning potluck dish and is perfect for any and every get-together. I like to cook extra bacon and then top my portion off with a sprinkle of the extra pieces and a sprinkle of dried chives, but these are completely optional!
- 8 strips uncooked bacon chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 c whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 2 c sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz macaroni noodles cooked al dente and drained
- Place chopped bacon in the bottom of a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Cook until browned and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease and return to medium heat. Add butter and heat until melted.
Once butter has melted, add flour and whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add milk and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground mustard), stir well and bring to a boil.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat, bring to a simmer, and stir frequently until mixture is thickened (if you dip a spoon in the sauce, it should cover the back of the spoon so that no metal is showing).
- Reduce heat to low and add cheddar, mozzarella, and cream cheese. Stir until cheeses are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add cooked, drained pasta noodles and bacon and stir until well coated with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!