Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust

filed under: Cheesecakes on December 6, 2014

Blueberry Cheesecake with an amazing shortbread crust is the perfect way to enjoy a warm day! And, it can be made even more amazing by using homemade shortbread cookies as the crust!

Real Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust!

I loved developing this recipe almost as much as I loved eating it. If you happen to love blueberries as much as I do, you will flip for these amazing and unique flavor combination!

Real Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust!

A traditional graham cracker crust would work here too! I also like the idea of an Oreo crust. Chocolate and blueberries are a match made in heaven!

Real Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust!

Recipe adapted from today.com.

I love that so many of the items needed for this recipe were on sale.  I also love that the sale included so many “fresh” items!

Real Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust!

This cheesecake is for the blueberry lover.  It is slightly bitter due to the small amount of sugar and the lemon-blueberry combination.  The addition of the chocolate drizzle is essential!

Blueberry Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
50 mins
Total Time
1 hr 10 mins

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: blueberry cheesecake with shortbread crust
Servings: 6 servings
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp. butter melted
  • whipped cream
  • zest and juice of one lemon
  • 2 eggs room temperature
  • 1/3 c milk
  • 1 1/2 pt blueberries fresh or frozen and thawed
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 lb 16 ounces or 2 packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 1 c shortbread crumbs
  • chocolate sauce
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare (spray, grease, parchment, butter, etc.) a 9-inch springform pan.
  2. Mix up finely ground shortbread crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Press into the bottom of the springform pan.

3. In a stand mixer fit with paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes on medium-high. With mixer on low, add in milk and then eggs, one at a time.

4. Add in sour cream, flour and vanilla and mix until smooth.
  5. Remove bowl from stand mixer.
  6. In a food processor, puree blueberries with lemon zest and juice. Pour puree into cream cheese mixture and stir by hand until incorporated.

7. Pour blueberry cheesecake filling onto prepared shortbread crust and bake for 50 minutes to one hour, or until the topping is set.

8. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve, at least 4 hours.
  9. Cover with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Sarah@WholeandHeavenlyOven says:

This is one stunner of a cheesecake! I just love that perfect drizzle of chocolate over top and swooning over how light and airy the photos are! I’d love a slice right about now. ๐Ÿ™‚ Pinning!

• Amanda says:

You are too kind! Thank you!

• Baby June says:

Oh my that sound like one incredible cheesecake! Love the shortbread crust–bet it would be fab with homemade cookies ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda says:

Thanks!

• Kerry @ Kerry Cooks says:

Shopping with so many kids – I can’t even imagine how you do it!

• Amanda says:

I just try not to! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) says:

This cheesecake looks absolutely fantastic!!

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking says:

You are a saint to take all of your kids shopping with you!! I only have my boyfriend, and even he is a handful sometimes… He even calls himself a kid that I have to look after. At least when he wanders off to look at things, I can call his cell phone. And he doesn’t pour water on me. You poor thing!! But anyway… I’m totally loving this cheesecake and wondering just how many slices I can eat in one sitting. Without anyone sending me judging looks. Pinned!

• Amanda says:

LOL I totally laughed at the image of him wondering off… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kristen says:

Been there, done that! So thankful mine are old enough to shop with and not hate it 100% of the time!
    Gorgeous cheesecake!

• Amanda says:

Thank you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sarah @ Savoring Spoon says:

What a beautiful cheesecake! My mom LOVES cheesecake, this is on my Christmas break to-make list! Pinned!

I don’t have kids, but can relate to that feeling of being overpowered by small children. I’m 10 years and 20 years older than two of my cousins. When one was in elementary school and the other one was just a baby I felt like going anywhere with them was a mess and the older one was constantly pulling pranks on me. You are AMAZING for bringing your kids shopping with you. At school they are probably telling their friends what a cool mom they have who brought them to target, let them play hide and seek, AND they got yummy popcorn. ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re amazing!

• Monica says:

Target is a ‘happy place’ for me too. I really need to work on getting that Cartwheel app since I shop there once a week. Your cheesecake is no joke! It looks more like a $50 cheesecake (at least)! : )

• Amanda says:

You are the sweetest! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you. And yes! You can save a lot using the app! The other day I got a $10GF just for buying products I already had on my list. Was awesome!

• Aaryne says:

I am a Target lover too. Being a Redcard holder makes me feel like a have a personal assistant to help me in my busy momma life. I order everything online whenever possible just for the reasons you described (minus 2!) and I feel like a bigwig. I have diapers and pull-ups delivered. The jammies that I remembered that one kid has grown out of. Extra snow pants for school, a yoga dvd because THIS time I am going to exercise, presents…you name it. Shipping is free and there is a 5% discount so it takes care of our tax. There is no minimum shipping so quite often there are days that I hop online 5 times because I remembered something else that I was supposed to order. When I do get to shop at the store it is very cleansing, if I get to shop alone. If my troops are with me more often than not we veg with a snack because there is more running around to do and I miscalculated how long we were going to be out and did not bring snacks from home. I love love love Target – can you tell? Their return policy is wonderful too. I chucked when I read about your kids at the store because there are moments when mine are crazy out of control but I have to shop. Ugh…it’s the reason I often make “midnight” shopping runs…oh, and Target is open late for me to do that too!

• Amanda says:

I love that we are bonded in our passion for Target! I am going to have to start online shopping more!

• Aaryne says:

It’s so much fun to have those big boxes of diapers show up at your front door and you didn’t have to pack everyone up to go get them. Plus, those big boxes will delight the wee ones ๐Ÿ™‚ Eventually those boxes may get on your nerves as everyone starts to fight about them in that famous sibling way…and then they are history when everyone is asleep!

• Joanne says:

Oh Target. We have such a love/hate relationship mostly because I can never control myself in that store! but I suppose that’s a good thing. ๐Ÿ˜› This cheesecake is GORGEOUS.

• Angelica says:

That cheesecake looks wonderful!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says:

Target is my most favorite place, and I love that app!! Totally love this cheesecake too. OMG.

• Julie | This Gal Cooks says:

What a beautiful cheesecake, Amanda!

I also love Target! But my wallet doesn’t. Everytime I go there I leave with something. Last time it was $300 worth of stuff. LOL

• Annie @ ciaochowbambina says:

Your cheesecake looks divine and your story is so sweet. Gotta love our guardian angels!!

• Zainab says:

Being a self-proclaimed MN native, I am a target lover! U are so right about the people in red and khaki. And incredibly sweet one came to your rescue that day. I don’t even know how you shop with 5 kids! Superwoman!

• Sarah @ The Gold Lining Girl says:

I adore Target. I go there and wander around just when I’m bored. Or if I just feel like shopping. Never leave without spending 3 figures even though I go in there for 2 things! Lol. How sweet that they came to help you – shopping with 5 children! I have such admiration for you! I don’t know how you do that! This cheesecake is beautiful! I love a blueberry cheesecake and shortbread crusts are my favorite!

• Teresa says:

I love all the chocolate drizzled over top. So beautiful.

• Amanda @ Cookie Named Desire says:

oh my gosh, I can barely handle bringing my one to Target, so you are given all exceptions for being able to have even gotten five kids dressed and out the door (seriously, that is a major feat for me with my one girl some days) Target employees are really the best. I’ve had a few give me tips on saving money and what deals are the best and will even hold my stuff for me so I can “reshop” and save more money. I don’t think I can shop without cartwheel anymore (or my red card) the savings are just too much!!

Oh and the blueberry cheesecake looks incredible!!!

• Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says:

Amanda, I feel you sister. I do. As a mother, we have all been there. I’ve never been driven to tears but have had the “oh God why are these kids doing this to me and why aren’t they listening, I want to pull my hair out” face while shopping. . I love Target too. I will always be a loyal Target shopper . . but I love how acts of kindness stick with you. And because of this one, you now love Target .. because of that employee who helped you. See, there is goodness in this world!!! and dang it, I’m getting this app!! Note to self: buy popcorn when shopping with P&M at Target.

• Renee @ Two in the Kitchen says:

I have never heard of the “cartwheel” app. But i love coupling. Especially when it is easy. Going to go check it out! That story of yours with your kids sounds so familiar. I am sure I have had several of those type of days! Love this Blueberry Cheesecake. It is just gorgeous!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• CakeSpy says:

I’ve looked like I wet myself (but didn’t really ACTUALLY) in Target too! And I love cake. We are soul twins. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Allie | Baking a Moment says:

I only wish I had a Target close by… my nearest store is a half hour away so I don’t shop there nearly as often as I’d like to. I’m praying they build one for me soon. I love your blueberry cheesecake and btw I don’t think there’s a mother among us who doesn’t have a similar story to tell. Kids and shopping are never a good mix.

• heather @french press says:

what’s not to love about Target, and I really need to use the cartwheel app more often | your cheesecake of course is simply perfect!!

• K / Pure & Complex says:

Oh my goodness I just loved this post. I definitely have to give that Target app a shot. But onto this amazing cheesecake… I am in love. This looks amazing.

• Julia @ Sprinkled With Jules says:

I’m always bewitched by Target’s bullseye as well. Once you look into it, there’s no point in fighting it, you’re GOING to spend money and buy all the things! I need to check out this app, it sounds pretty great. And beautiful cheesecake!!