Blueberry Lemon Soda Cake

filed under: Cakes on May 19, 2017

This Blueberry Lemon Soda Cake has a pop of delicious lemon flavor, perfect for a quick summertime dessert. It is incredibly simple to make because it starts with cake mix, a little lemon extract, and a can of soda!  It is the perfect complement to any Memorial Day BBQ or summer event you have coming up!

A lemon cake covered with blueberry buttercream and garnished with blueberries and lemon zest!

This is by far one of the moistest and most tender lemon cakes I have ever had, including from-scratch recipes! Of course, my secret ingredient is the lemon extract. I have made recipes for “2-ingredient” cakes and found them to not be as flavorful as I would have liked. But you will not be able to say that about this cake! Seriously lemon cake is paired with a gloriously sweet blueberry frosting in a classic and decadent flavor combination. I daresay, this is one of the best cakes I have ever baked!

Blueberry Lemon Cake with lemon extract

To make this cake you will need:

1 box Lemon cake mix (any brand will work)

McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract

lemon-lime soda

blueberry buttercream recipe (below)

blueberries (a pint should do)

lemon

cake stand

1M tip with decorating bag

small offset spatula

zester

Three ingredients needed for a Blueberry Lemon Soda cake; lemon extract, cake mix, and a can of pop.

The directions for the cake could not be simpler! Simply add lemon cake mix, 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract, and a can of room-temperature soda. Add all ingredients together, whisk until combined, and then bake per box directions.

Easy Blueberry Buttercream

Ingredients
  • 1 c butter room temperature
  • 1 tsp. McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 4 c confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 c blueberry jam or blueberry fruit spread
Instructions
  1. Beat buttered on high with a handheld mixer or on medium-high in the bowl of stand mixer. Add in sugar, vanilla, and blueberry jam and mix until fully incorporated and creamy, about 3 minutes.

When ready to assemble cake:

Add one layer to the cake stand and cover with about 3/4 cup of blueberry buttercream. Cover with a layer of blueberries, then press down to make sure it’s level. Add next layer of lemon cake and then cover the entire cake with about 1 1/2 cups of blueberry buttercream using a small offset spatula. (Will be a thin coat of frosting)

Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip. Pipe out pretty dollops around the top of the cake.

Overhead view of a lemon cake covered in blueberry buttercream, blueberries, and lemon zest.

Cover each dollop with a blueberry and then add lemon zest around the entire edge of cake.

Best served at room temperature.

Slice of lemon layer cake with blueberry buttercream.

I can’t stress enough just how moist and delicious this cake is!

Thank you so much for supporting the brands that support iambaker. I love working with McCormick and love how their products transform my recipes!

Comments

• Connie says:

I just made a lemon-blueberry cake with cream cheese frosting but I can’t wait to try your blueberry frosting variation! I bet it would be yummy to modify the blueberry frosting recipe to be blueberry cream cheese frosting too! Such a pretty and summery cake!

• Jai Archer says:

No just the cake mix dry with the other ingredients!

• Patty Minton says:

Do you also add the ingredients on the back of the cake vox

• DT says:

I made this last night for my husbands 40th birthday. Both him and the kids raved about it. Cake is so moist and the frosting was out of this world. Thank you!

• Julie Krisko says:

I baked as directed and both times I could not get the cake out of pan. I tried just greased and grease and flour. I used dark non-stick pans. What’s the secret?

• Samantha Furry says:

This was my experience, too! It was too moist. I tried steaming it out and it definitely helped loosen it and I got it out (but it took the bottom of the cake with it). Accepting my halved cake tiers as a learning lesson, I let them cool on the cooling rack. When I went to transfer them to the cake stand to start icing, they were stuck to the cooling rack and any efforts to get them off just made it worse. I tried a spatula to help ease it off and it stuck to the spatula. It was a sad scene! Hahaha, but I definitely want to try again.

A couple thoughts:
      – I used a cake mix with pudding. Perhaps overdoing it?
      – I also live in a very humid part of Texas. Not sure how much this would impact it?

Anywho, just wanted you to know you aren’t alone, Julie Krisko!

• Diana says:

Next time like your racks with parchment paper that way they won’t stick.

• Diana says:

Ugh! Auto correct LOL line your rack with parchment paper.

• Diana says:

Let the cake cool for about 10 to 15 minutes then turn it out of the pans. That should work. You could even run a knife along the edges of the pan before you turn them out.

• Grace says:

Any idea if this recipe would work for cupcakes?? I find serving cupcakes at a party is SLIGHTLY less messy than cutting and serving up a whole cake. Any advice welcome!

• Shirley says:

Do you or do you not add the eggs, water, oil to cake mix, before adding lemon extract and lemon lime soda? So sorry to ask but just not sure after reading directions.

• Karey Butchko says:

I just made this cake! I haven’t cut it yet but I will tell you the icing is yummy! As for getting it out of the pan I had no trouble at all. I greased and floured my pans the n put parchment paper on the bottom. Cooked them in the pans 15 minutes.

• Caitlin says:

I’m in need of help both pa s of cake cells right apart they were super moist and didn’t stick together even after I tried greasing the pan idk if I need to bake the longer even though the knife comes out clean or not. I’m so frustrated but hope maybe someone can help me.

• Debbie Valdes Skipwith says:

wonderful recipe, can’t wait to do it this weekend.

• Terry says:

Do you not add eggs. Mine fell apart coming out of pans. Then stuck to cooling rake.
    Any suggestions.

• Betty says:

The recipe for the cake isn’t complete, no amounts
    The one for the frosting is ok
    But the one for the cake needs to be fixed

• Shelly says:

It says a teaspoon of flavoring and a can of soda. That’s it. No other ingredients.

A note about pudding in the mix cake mixes: never use these mixes for a soda cake. Just plain cake mixes.

Thanks for this recipe, I can’t wait to try it. I love soda cakes.

• Ann motley says:

Had a problem getting the cake out of the cake pan. Tore all to pieces.

• Dorothy Isenberg says:

Do you still use eggs, oil, in cake mix OR do you just use dry cake mix, soda, and lemon flavoring.Thank you

• Sophia says:

My own version and it was so delicious wish I could post a pic

• Diana Mikatarian says:

I love your recipes but the web page has way to many advertisements & there is often no way to print the recipes out without the advertisements covering the content. I was able to print the frosting recipe with the “print” button but no “print” button for the cake recipe.

Is there a way to turn the advertisements off that I’m not aware of??