Loaded with roasted pecans and a soft, buttery flavor, Butter Pecan Cookies are a delicious treat that won’t last long! If you love pecans in your treats, you have to try my Ooey Gooey Pecan Pie Brownies.
Butter Pecan Cookies
Cookies have come a long way since the original chocolate chip cookie. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good chocolate chip cookie, but I am also in favor of all the varieties of cookies out there now! Butter cookies have lots of butter, but also an added amount of flour and sugar to help them keep their shape (unlike shortbread cookies, which can be too crumbly). These cookies end up being that chewy texture that is perfect to bite into!
Do I Have to Toast the Pecans?
YES! I mean, no. You do not have to. It really does a depth of nutty flavor to this cookie that will set it apart from the rest. To toast pecans:
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with two sheets of parchment paper, crisscrossed.
- Add pecans to the dish and bake for about 7 minutes.
- Remove and set aside while you prepare the dough.
How to Store and Freeze Butter Pecan Cookies
To store the cookies, place them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last 4-5 days. And, when you are ready to enjoy a cookie, try wrapping it in a paper towel and microwaving it for 15-25 seconds. This will give you that chewiness and softness you want from this cookie.
Can I Freeze These Cookies?
Definitely! In fact, you could freeze these butter pecan after they have been baked or freeze the cookie dough. To freeze after being baked, first, let the cookies cool completely. Then, store in a freezer-safe container. Be sure to label and date. They should last 3 months as cookie dough or fully baked.
Butter Pecan Cookies
- 1 ½ cups (163.5g)chopped pecans, roasted
- 2 ½ cups (312g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat butter for 1-2 minutes on medium-high. You want it to be lighter and creamy. Add in granulated and brown sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, with the mixer on low. After fully incorporated, add in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer off, add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix on medium-low until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer and stir in roasted pecans by hand. Reserve about 1½ cup for sprinkling on top.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet. Add a few pecan pieces on top of each cookie. (I prefer to add more as I love the flavor and texture.)
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are set. They will be puffy and should not appear wet.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.