Butterfly Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on April 2, 2010

My neighbor has a little girl whose birthday was today… and being the sweet neighbor that she is she asked if I would make the cake. I love when people ask me things like that! Baking for friends and family is one of my greatest joys.

Anyway, she just said, “Its Nevaeh’s (Heaven backwards) birthday, she likes butterfly’s and chocolate and girly stuff. Go to it!”

So being the daring baker I am I made a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. (has anyone invented a sarcasm font yet?)

IMG_0944.cake

And used the colors of the rainbow. Except indigo. Does anyone use indigo anymore?

IMG_0961.cake
I just made some of my royal icing and piped on butterfly’s.

Not including baking, it took about an hour.

IMG_0938.cake

IMG_0936.cake

This is one of those cakes that anyone can do… so I hope you try it! Be sure to take lots of pictures…and make it yours!

***

On a totally unrelated topic, would you like to see my kitchen? I just posted some pictures that should have NEVER been made public. Yes, they are that bad!

Comments

• BethieofVA says:

Precious by Amazing Amanda!

• libby says:

ahhhh! I LOVE it. how cute is that. you’re amazing! Thanks for your sweet email you sent earlier today, and you are totally welcome! Im so happy to share your amazingness with everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda says:

the cake is BEAUTIFUL! you always do such amazing and creative things. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Liz says:

What an AWESOME cake!! I want to just reach in the screen and take a little lick of a butterfly!!

• tammy says:

What a beautiful cake. Naveah came over today and said “My neighbor Amanda……the one who’s been on TV, is making my b-day cake for me” So cute, and she was all proud. Have a blessed Easter Amanda!!

• Kari says:

Wow. Wow. Wow. I LOVE your stuff. Wish you were my neighbor. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’d ask you to bake for my kids… birthday cakes or cookies… wouldn’t matter. ๐Ÿ™‚ Andrew so badly wants me to make him a general grievous cookie… not gonna happen! LOL… I told him I’d make him some dough and he could have at it. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Have a blessed Easter weekend.
    Kari

• Renee says:

Pretty, colorful, and yummy I’m sure! Great job!

• Paula says:

What a wonderful friend and neighbour you are and such a wonderful sense of humour too. Nevaeh must be the happiest little birthday girl. Your cake has the fresh sweetness of Spring all over it. Happy Easter Amanda.

• Kate says:

You are wonderful.

• cherylene says:

OH my goodness. The cute factor is just killing me. Can you be my neighbor? Adorable.

• Joy Ellis says:

Love it! Did you free hand the butterflies? Or did you use a template?

• Sue says:

Sooooo pretty!

• Lorie says:

I love the bright colors. But now you HAVE to tell us about the three tiered cake fiasco.
    And did you use a small cookie cutter to put the butterfly shapes on the side of the cake as an outline? That butterfly looks just like the one we used today when making sugar cookies!

• Katie says:

What a gorgeous fun cake! I love all of the rainbow colors ๐Ÿ™‚

• Aimee says:

I’m guessing that Neveah was thrilled with this cake – it is absolutely adorable!! Love all the bright colors! You are an awesome neighbor!!

• Judy Moyer says:

Simply beautiful! Bu tthat comment about only taking an hour???? Seriously??? Now you are just showing off!! Just kidding!! I love your decorated goodies and your web site!! Keep those recipes coming. Mine won’t look like yours but they can maybe, just maybe taste like yours!! I really love this cake.

• Emma @ Poires au Chocolat says:

How adorable. I love the piped butterflies – I’m not sure I have a steady enough hand to pipe all those!

• Julie says:

i wrote to you a while ago about seeing if you could make cookies for my sons party that is next sunday..you never answered back..would it still be possible?? you should have 2 emails from me..thanks!
    julie

• Shelley says:

That is an absolutely gorgeous cake – I am sure your neighbor’s little girl was thrilled to have such a beautiful cake for her birthday!

• Mrs. Mordecai says:

Beautiful! I’m amazed by your talent. The design is fantastic. Oh, and indigo doesn’t count. I say so.

• Crystal says:

Awesome again Amanda! BTW, my daughter’s middle name is Nevaeh.

• Kaitlin says:

Your piping skills are unbelievable. But, I already knew that ๐Ÿ˜›
    Beautiful cake!
    Happy Easter!

• Mary says:

You must have one steady hand! I would have smashed half the cake trying to do that. Incredible ๐Ÿ™‚

• Vinni says:

Amanda! :]
    I don’t speak english…:( but, google translation ๐Ÿ˜€
    I love your ART! =D – (eu amo sua arte!)
    Congratulations! (Parabรฉns!)
    B-l-e-s-s-e-d hands !! Your Flickr is beautiful :}
    Kisses from Brasil for you :}
    Vinni
    Sรฃo Paulo – Brasil)

• Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. says:

Love your cake…so fun with all of those vibrant colors! Thanks for sharing your kitchen pictures too! Don’t feel bad, my kitchen gets just as messy whenever I take on baking projects too…sometimes all your energy is drained during the baking and decorating that you just need to wait a day or two to clean up the clutter!