Cheerios Cake

filed under: White Cakes on June 13, 2013

I try to stay away from controversy on my little baking blog.

I have a philosophy… it’s silly I know.  But I believe that we can all unite over cake.  No matter your beliefs or views or politics, we can all come together and celebrate  with a beautiful and delicious cake.

Cheerios Cake

When I heard that there was a controversy over a Cheerios commercial, I was deeply saddened.

After seeing the commercial, I literally had no idea what the controversy even was! In case you are as blissfully naive as I am, the issue was race.

Some people were upset that the husband was black and the wife was white and that they had an interracial child.

Martin Luther King, Jr. famously said, “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.”

I don’t want to be a part of the appalling silence anymore.

Cheerios Cake

After reading some of the awful comments people have made, it’s clear to see that their minds are not going to be changed through some brief internet interactions.  I am never going to argue someone into seeing my perspective.

Instead, what I do want to focus on is solutions.

This cake is simple.  Overly simple some might say, but that was intentional.

I feel like the solution is simple.

Teach love.

I can certainly make sure that I am raising intelligent, well-mannered and considerate young people who understand that our inherent value is not based on appearance.

Simple.

I can model the behavior that I want to see in them.  I hope that my children will see in me a love for others, regardless of physical appearance.  I hope that they will remain blissfully ignorant of the pain and destruction caused by prejudice and racism for many, many more years.

Cheerios Cake

Maybe we can all make a simple cake for someone you love!

Now.  Do you want to know how I really feel about segregation?

Racism Sucks.

Ahem.

Just in case you want to make your own Cheerios Cake here is what I did:

Make the perfect white cake in two 8-in rounds and the best chocolate cake in two 8-in rounds.

I then whipped up a batch of chocolate buttercream to cover the cake.  There is no frosting between the layers.

Using Chocolate Cheerios, I spelled out the word “love”.  For the individual slice, I just poured some more Chocolate Cheerios over the top to add some texture and depth of flavor.

Comments

• lo says:

I don’t purchase Cheerios for other reasons, but this sure is a silly thing to get upset about. I sometimes forget how judgmental people are.

• Grace @ Craftadon.com says:

I’m white, and my almost husband is black. He has two black daughters, and we’re hoping to have a couple more kids, who (duh) would be half black/white.

I love seeing mixed race families! It shouldn’t be a challenge, but it is. We have differences, and we love them. We embrace learning about each others’ race. Especially with kids, the dialogue is open and honest that not everyone thinks the way that we do.

The more common mixed-race families become, the more they will seep into the core of the public’s thought processes. This commercial is a great way to show it!

• Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Beautiful. You’re always on the ball with the best things to say at just the right moment 🙂

• Cathy says:

Love it. That lil girl could be mine on the box. 🙂 love my lil cookie dough babies.

• Letitia says:

Brilliant! Thank You!

• Kelsey says:

This is incredible and you are awesome for making it. I have to say, I didn’t even realize this commercial was the “interracial Cheerios commercial” until I saw it called out as such on the news. I’d already seen it multiple times and it never even occurred to me that the parents had different skin colors. And I love General Mills’ response–that they, under no circumstances, would pull the commercial. Hooray for common sense and love!

• Abby {munchin' mel} says:

i love this. so, so, so… (so x 10000) much.
    what you wrote… just perfect.

• Paula says:

Amanda, love your cake, your words, your heart. Powerful message that will sadly, go unheard by those who need to hear it most.

For those who were/are *outraged* over the Cheerios commercial, you sadden my heart with your bigotry and ignorance.

• Nancy [email protected] says:

While most food bloggers, myself included, do not usually seem to take a stance on anything more than food, I appreciate this post. I watched the video and honestly would not of even thought anything about the color of the skin of the people in the video had it not been pointed out. So it goes to show you. Either people look at the color of a person or they look at the person.

• Kallie A Jurgens says:

I for one eat Cheerios every now and then and have no idea why all the fuss about the commercial. Blacks have been marrying whites for years and having children; there’s nothing wrong with a good marriage. People who don’t like what they see on commercials usually just turn the channel and not write stupid remarks about it. Some others, who no fault of their own, are racist, and were probably taught or grew up with discrimination. The only thing about Cheerios I dislike is I don’t know if it contains GMOs. Now THAT’s important — not the race of a child.

• Catherine MacDonald says:

The only problem I have with this post is that there is NO FROSTING between the layers! 😉

• Nikki @Seeded at the Table says:

Beautiful cake, and beautiful message! After moving to Mississippi last year, I couldn’t believe how prevalent racism is down here. It’s really a different world here and it saddens me. So much segregation still. 🙁 I love your post and glad Cheerios has responded so gracefully. Thank you, sweet Amanda, for being a strong, positive voice in the blogging world, and a wonderful influence to your children, our future. 🙂

• Betsy says:

Beautifully said and beautifully baked!

• Marian (Sweetopia) says:

Hurrah, Amanda! What an eloquent post! Love you for writing it!

• Chris says:

Well said Amanda! Power to the people!! My daughter is in a mixed marriage and when I heard about the commercial I got very upset. I didn’t think it still went on now. All I know is that I have the most beautiful granddaughter from this wonderful marriage and only hope that by the time she is old enough to understand she will inspire and not inquire!

• Melissa says:

I love your post! Well said!!

• [email protected] A Little Claireification says:

Popping over from TidyMom.
    Love. This.
    xoxo

• Felisa Cool says:

I’m from Europe and I am deeply impressed by the fact that there are still people that not only think stupid things like one race can be superior to another one, but also that they are not even ashamed of saying it aloud

• Laura B says:

I don’t often comment on the blogs I read, but I felt the pull to in this case. So I just want to say… Well done. That was a fantastic response to something that should never have been controversial in the first place. And as always, beautiful cake. LOVE.

• HereKittyKitty says:

Interseting. I have seen this commercial dozens of times and NOT ONCE did I notice it was an interracial couple. To me it was a Cheerios commercial. But good for General Mills to us a true dynamic of the American Family. And the fact that this company is based in Minnesota, which is notoriously conservative, double bonus.

• Angelina says:

What I love best about this post are the comments – not a single hater among your readers – what a great response. Like everyone else – I’m happy you decided to say something about this.

• Laura O says:

WELL SAID! Love and be loved in return.

• Suzanne S says:

Love!

• Liz says:

Beautiful post! I couldn’t have said it better! 🙂

• the baking cup - carolina says:

such a cute cake! love the post by the way 🙂