Chocolate Covered Cherry Oreo Cake

filed under: White Cakes on February 21, 2011

*See the tutorial on how to make this cake right HERE!

***

I recently read a review of my blog that consisted of two words.

Calorie Heavy.

I was bit a taken aback by this short and decisive description. But, I decided to to not feel embarrassed or disappointed in the single minded perspective.

Know why? It’s SO true. I blog about baking. And 99% of the time, its cakes and cookies. That have lots of calories.

My blog is Calorie Heavy.

As am I.

Just sayin.

That being said, sharing this next calorie heavy cake with you is a great treat for me. Its probably the most fattening cake I have ever made.

Scratch that… I have made lots of cakes. Its just really yummy.

This quiet little unassuming cake packs a big punch.

It is a Oreo crumb covered, hot fudge dipped, chocolate covered cherry packed delicious white cake.

IMG_9992.stamp

With a cherry on top.

Although I could not adore the oreo cookie crumb coating more… I have to tell you.

Its the amazingly sweet inside that I love.

IMG_0023.stamp

Chocolate covered cherries.

IMG_0028.stamp

Encased in a bed a sweet vanilla frosting.

Surrounded by a rich white cake.

Under a coat of hot fudge. Topped with oreo crumbs.

Now… I made this cake a week ago. But have been to scared to share it! I mean. Its a bit over the top.

I was going to offer a tutorial right away but it occurred to me… people probably dont want to make a cake that should really be served by the fork bite instead of by the plate.

Its just too much! My insane idea to make this cake must have been based on some weird pregnancy hormone.

I think.

IMG_0007.stamp

Just for the record… next time I make this I am going to add more oreo. 😉

***

Thank you so much Angie for this beautiful cake stand! I just love it!

***

Did you like this post? If you did wanna click “Stumble It!” (right below these words) and share the love! Thanks so much!

Comments

• kelly says:

RECIPE ASAP! Please, my cravings won’t be fulfilled until then!

• Chantele says:

I don’t have any wierd pregnancy hormones and that cake looks divine! I want it! I may just have to make it for my own birthday next week.

• Lillifred says:

I want to eat this now.

• Denine Anderson-Regan says:

Great cake – how on Earth did you cut & serve it? Calorie heavy – as long as you have fun, who cares, right? 🙂

• Memoria says:

This blog is yours; ignore what others think and just share what you like. We expect most desserts to be calorie heavy, and readers have the choice to make these desserts or not. So, do what you like; don’t be ashamed of anything you post, and don’t worry about the criticism, unless it is constructive and invited :).
    Anyway, that cake looks freaking awesome!! What a great idea! You’re so creative.

• Kristen says:

This is a simply STUNNING cake! I have officially fallen IN LOVE with this cake!

• Krisi says:

oh dear- that. is. BEAUTIFUL!

• Marian (Sweetopia) says:

I think it’s gorgeous AND you’re making me really really want a piece of it RIGHT NOW!
    I say it’s all about eating the delicious foods (like your dessets); they’re meant to be enjoyed! As long as I have someone to share it with, I won’t eat the whole thing! (Moderation is the key don’t you think!? Translation, eat some and then quickly give the rest to the neighbours before I eat it all 😉

• Miri Leigh says:

WOW, this cake looks too good to be true! The photos are wonderful– thanks for sharing!

• ceecee says:

Absolutely scrumptious. “calorie heavy” …. really a beautiful compliment for your blog!
    ceecee

• Emily says:

I made the mistake of sharing this link on fb last night, and now people are wondering how to do it…so please share the tutorial if/when you can!!! Pretty, pretty, please, with a cherry on top?? 😉

• Bring on the calories! That is truly the most beautiful, surprising, cake I have ever seen. And so many flavors – yum!

• grace says:

some say calorie heavy, i say calorie heaven. i’m never NOT interested in something you post, and this one’s no exception–the cherry on top is the clincher!

• Lara says:

Wow! That is such an impressive cake. You don’t see something that perfect in the best of bakeries. I am not as good of a baker as I am a cook but you make me want to try. I would love the tutorial. Very glad you are staying true to you.

• Robyn | Add a Pinch says:

Everything you make is such a beautiful work of art, my friend.

• naomi says:

Um, seriously you are my cake hero! Holy cake goodness and beauty, I love this!!!

• blackbookkitchendiaries says:

Wow! this is beautiful:) everything you create is beautiful!

• Jessica S. says:

Wow, this cake is beautiful! And you can never go wrong coating something in chocolate and oreo crumbs. I want to go to the store right now and get the ingredients to make it. Thanks for sharing this idea!

• Alison says:

Not a big fan of cherries, but I’m thinking some peanut butter cups would be the bomb! Either with the vanilla cake and frosting or chocolate…

• Val says:

When I first read what you said the review of your blog was, I thought it said, “calorie heaven”. That would be a more appropriate phrase.

• Heidi Gore says:

If people are concerned that your recipes are “calorie heavy” then maybe then need to go to websites like “I am tofu” or “I am alfalfa sprouts.” Get real. Did we not think that a website that is called “I am baker” would be “calorie heavy”? Of course we knew that. That’s one of the reasons why we came in the first place.

• Kristal says:

Lord have mercy… I must make that cake. The pictures are to die for! Where can I find the recipe?

• My Carolina Kitchen says:

I just popped over from the PW to have another look at your fabulous cake. What a beauty! I’m not much of a baker, but I know a good looking cake when I see it.
    Sam

• Colleen says:

This is my first visit to your blog. I arrived here via the Pioneer Woman link – and I think it’s beautiful! You display loads of creativity, and the photography’s beautiful. I had to comment after reading the “calorie heavy” comment. Honestly, it really boils my blood when people have the nerve to comment on the rich foods they find on BAKING blogs. For example, yours is called I AM BAKER!!! I appreciate that we still have a community of people who appreciate hand-made foods that are based on fresh, unprocessed ingredients – and I’m thankful that list of ingredients inlcudes butter! We don’t eat cake 3 times a day, but cake plays an important role in celebrating life! Ugh, it’s like when people go look at makeup blogs and then comment that they “much prefer women who don’t wear any makeup.” Um, then don’t come look at makeup blogs. Whew! I got worked up over this one! Beautiful site and thanks for sharing with all of us.

• Belinda @zomppa says:

Can I just say. Oh. My. Gosh.