Christmas Meringue Cookies

filed under: Cookies on December 3, 2012

I have been wanting to try a meringue cookie forever now… I never have before! If there is ever an option of sugar cookies or chocolate I tend to pick that over meringue.

meringue

I am a silly silly girl.  These cookies are much easier than I thought and such a unique and delicate texture!  I am smitten. (Plus they are about 15 calories per cookie so you an eat a lot without feeling guilty.  Plus they are naturally gluten free.  Its win-win folks.)

meringue

And knowing I can change up the vanilla and use peppermint or orange or banana or strawberry or almond extract really opens up a world of possibility for these sweet confections.

Being a complete fan of all things Shabby Chic, I had to make a few girly White Christmas trees.  I resisted the glitter and sprinkles.  Well, until after this picture was taken that is!

5 from 1 vote

• 4 egg whites at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp. McCormick® Cream of Tartar
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 tsp. McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Food Coloring Red and Green for Christmas cookies
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 225°F.
  2. Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. (If using a freestanding mixer, use wire whisk attachment.) Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high.

3. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
  4. Beat in extract and food color until well blended.
  5. Place meringue into pastry bag fitted with a 2D, 1G, or large star tip. Slowly pipe out in a circle for the small meringue cookie. For the tree, pipe out a small circle then continuously make smaller circles working your way up.

6. Bake both sheets of meringues at the same time 45 minutes. Turn oven off. Let meringues stand in oven 1 hour or until completely cooled.

Meringue

Hope you can try these sweet and easy meringues!  Oh, and I promise I will attempt a post without red, green,and white.  I may be stuck in a color rut. 😉

Comments

• Ana says:

These intimidate me for some reason, but I’m gonna give them a shot, if they work out I’m gonna make em for my son’s 1st b-day but I’m gonna color them blue! Wish me luck!

• Debbie says:

Do you bake then on parchment paper, nonstick foil or silpat?

• Amanda says:

I used parchment.

• Live a Sweet Life says:

I’ve always been scared of making meringue. I thought they would be so difficult. You’ve convinced to give them a go 🙂

• Megan {Country Cleaver} says:

I have to get over my fear of things made of egg whites. I never seem to get them right – but these are so adorable, I might have to give it another go!

• Bren (@BG_garden) says:

These cookies look amazing and I’ve always wanted to make meringue cookies in my kitchen. This might have to be my new cook for the family party this December.

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I would love to make a whole dessert platter filled with pretty white meringue trees for a holiday party, how beautiful!

• aida mollenkamp says:

Oh, those are such gorgeous cookies, Amanda!

• kathleen says:

Perfection as always! How well do these hold up? If I need cookies for Tuesday, could I bake them Friday? How should they be stored.

• Amanda says:

Mine lasted at least three days very nicely. I would store in individual layers in an air-tight container. Happy baking!

• Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet says:

So perfect Amanda…and even better with glitter and sprinkles. 🙂 Love making meringues.

• susan says:

these are so flippn’ cute that I may have to make these for Hannukah tonight!!! You continue to inspire!

• Janelle says:

How many does this recipe yield? Can’t wait to try them 🙂

• Jennifer D. says:

Adorable!! My son dropped my last bag of neighbor Christmas treats and they busted all over the street 🙁 so I’ve been looking for a quick, easy substitute! For the trees, do you keep piping continuously or pipe the bottom circle, stop, next circle, stop, etc?

• Amanda says:

Oh bummer! I piped continuously with mine. Happy Holidays! 🙂

• brandi says:

I love Meringue cookies! YUM. I was wondering if you have ever tried making them from leftover royal frosting. Not sure if it would work. I *think* you would have to add more egg whites to even out the sugar to egg ratio…. Just had some green royal icing leftover this week and thought it would be great if I could recycle them to these!

• Amanda says:

YOu sure can… you just need the right consistency. If you icing is runny it wont hold any shape.. you can try and add more powder sugar but ultimately, yes, more egg whites is best. 🙂

• Amy says:

Add kool aid for colour and flavour!! Orange is the best it tastes like a creamcicle!!

• Amanda says:

Good idea!

• Joanna says:

I’m wondering if meringue cookies can be frozen ?

• Ann says:

I make these for Christmas every year! I sprinkle finely crushed candy canes on top but I like the idea of adding Kool-Aid flavors too. I`ll have to try that.

• Joy says:

I have some egg whites I need to use! This is what I am baking tomorrow! Thank you for sharing!

• Courtney Butler (The Baking Butler) says:

Have you tried these with carton egg whites? I’ve felt wasteful with yolks making Swiss Meringue Buttercream and started buying egg whites in cartons instead. I can only tell a tiny difference between them and “fresh” egg whites. I have an open carton that needs to be finished off, maybe I’ll give it a shot. I need some inexpensive options for my Christmas gift packages.

• Amanda says:

I have not tried that! Very interesting idea!

• Jacqueline Georgi-Goodman says:

Hi,

These look fabulous! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I actually gave it a try last night and made a batch, but when I pulled them out of the oven (following your instructions), they came out undercooked. They were still sticky and soft to the touch. Maybe I made them too big? Can I “over bake” these?

• Amanda says:

Oh no! So sorry! I would bake them a tad more, just keeping a close eye to avoid them browning. My apologies for any issues you had!

• Jacqueline Georgi-Goodman says:

I’ll give them another try baking them a bit longer. Thanks 🙂

• Shehnaz kazi says:

Amanda, I have tried ur recipie the meringues turned out good but after wards they just shrink and become sticky can u plz guide me what would be a reason