Confessions of a Cheap Mommy

filed under: Miscellaneous on February 28, 2010

This is my youngest child, my baby girl, my sweet giggly Audrey.

Exhibit A

IMG_8711.audreydodger

Although it would be fun to post pictures of her and talk about how cute she is and oohh and aahh over my precious little angel, thats not what has inspired me to share today.

I want to talk to you about a couple personality traits of mine.  Not just any old quirks… the two quirks that when used together produce a dangerous and often painful result.

The two personality traits in question are "cheap mommy" and "oh just let me do it!"

Alone, these traits can be ok.  Even beneficial!  Cheap mommy at the grocery store or a Chuck-E-Cheese is a good thing.

"Oh just let me do it!" mom is a breath of fresh air when you are trying to get on an elevator filled with seventeen people and your toddler stops in the door way and decides to tie their shoe even though they just learned yesterday.

But together… **shudder**

Exhibit B

IMG_8693.audrey

Audrey's bangs.  I thought I could cut them myself.  I thought I would be saving the family time and money.

I thought it was silly to take a one year old in for a 'bang' cut.

Silly, silly mommy!

IMG_8724.audrey

Yes.  I did this to my baby.

I may have scarred her for life.

Well, I may have scarred me for life.  If I hide the evidence I think she'll get over it.

Your email address will not be published.

Comments

• Pineapple Princess says:

Ahaha! I did that to myself once. Everyone smiled politely at me, but I knew what they were thinking. I wanted to crawl inside my shirt. I also tried scrunching up my forehead really tight so my bangs looked longer, but that just made my eyes look big and weird. Ahh, bangs! Life is tough!

• Jamie says:

I tried cutting my daughter’s hair a time or two when she was younger…anything to try and save a few bucks.
    Your girl is so adorable!

• Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

Your girl is so adorable!

• Restrainedchaos.wordpress.com says:

Ahh, she still looks cute! As long as she’s happy with life, who cares what her hair looks like? And she looks very happy. I cut my daughter’s bangs too short almost every time I trimmed them. Fortunately, her hair grows really fast so it covers any mistakes I make.

• Grapefruit says:

LOL. She looks so cute!
    I did this to my son till he was a little over 1 and then my husband forced me to take him for a ‘proper’ haircut.

• mari K. says:

I did the same thing! My daughter had her first haircut ever and a couple of snips later, she had crazy crooked, bangs that were too short! But it was cute! I took a ton of pics, poor thing, hehe.. Audrey looks adorable! Hair will always grow back!

• joyce says:

Oh I don’t think you can do anything to make her less cute. She’s adorable!

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

My mom butchered my hair once . . . but I was in the 6th grade! It was certainly scarring. 🙁

• Alisa says:

You could just tell everyone she did it herself. That’s what I would do. lol
    As cheap as I am, home haircuts are the one thing I’ve always avoided. I just don’t trust myself!
    Luckily, she’ll never even know!

• Liz says:

hahaha! It’s not bad!! She looks cute, and she definitely won’t know the difference!

• Samantha says:

Awesome pics of your daughter. What type of camera/lens do you use? I like the blur in the background. At least you gave her the cut and she didn’t give it herself! 😉

• Gardner Momma says:

I am a licensed cosmetologist and I would never attempt to trim bangs on my squirmy baby don’t be too hard on yourself!!! My suggestion… make life easier on yourself and forget bangs all together! Grow her hair just one length. That’s what I do with my girls. To get yourself through that awful in-between stage where their hair just hangs in their eyes just pop it in a cute pony on top of her head or even pig tails! I just discovered that Laine’s hair would fit in 2 little piggies on top of her head and I’m seriously tickled pink she looks so stinkin’ cute!! (I put a pic of it on my facebook page if you’re so inclined!). Nice catching up with you!

• Londa says:

Oh how I can relate! She is so cute! Those blue eyes…WOW!

• Joy says:

She’s georgeous Amanda! Those beautiful eyes! I cut my kids hair too mostly because Hubby doesn’t like to spend money “just to get a haircut!!” Thankfully they are boys and their hair grows quickly and I just use a hair trimmer.I haven’t had to cut my Audrey’s hair yet- not looking forward to it and will probably have to just take her in because I’m not so good with a scissors!
    You didn’t even do a bad job though-better than I would have done! Maybe I’ll bring my kids over to your house for their next cuts???

• Sonya says:

I am sorry but I am laughing at this one! I was one of those that took my kid to get her bangs trimmed. I am not handy with the scissors at all and I didn’t want anything awful to happen! My step sister cut her daughters bangs and she looked like Jim Carey’s character from Dumb and Dumber for WEEKS!!

• ali says:

She’s still adorable! (and I’m cheap too! just so you know…)

• Katie says:

Not five minutes after I read your post, my husband suggested that I cut his hair. Ummm…. NO! The last time that he suggested this was 5 years ago before our wedding… apparently he forgot the outcome of that disaster! Luckily, it (sort of) grew out before the big day… Trust me when I say that you fared much better! 🙂

• Jenney says:

Oh dear. Well, I don’t think that it looks too terrible, but I will say it isn’t her BEST look. Hair grows quickly though, and she really doesn’t care! I however have NO room to talk as my youngest’s hair looks quite a mess right now and the other realtor at our house closing thought he was a girl. Oh dear.

• Lindsay says:

Hey – I actually don’t think you did a bad job! And seriously – at least you didn’t give her a pencil-tight perm or anything…….not that I’d know what’s THAT’S like. Yoi vey. I cut my sons hair now because the last time his father did it he looked like Loyd. It’s a pain, but we’re saving $10 at a time! 🙂

• Carolyn Jung says:

I think the bangs look totally fine. In fact, they’re kind of hip and edgy looking. See, you made your baby trendy without even trying. 😉

• Anne says:

I think it looks good. And she is so cute no one would notice. Please do not feel bad, I did WAY worse to my precious little boy 🙂
    When Luke first came home from Guatemala his hair looked terrible so DH and I decided to shave his head ourselves. I’m not sure why we thought it was a good idea since neither one of us had cut anyone’s hair before and certainly not a 6 month old. Let’s just say that people thought he was sick and his hair was falling out because of chemo. And the woman that I took him to to fix it was so upset (she literally had tears in her eyes that he looked so bad) that she did not charge me to correct it but made me promise not to try and do his hair myself ever again.
    Thankfully he does not remember but my mom does and every once in a while will remind me…

• christy rose says:

Oh my You are funny! she looks adorable no matter what! I cut my baby’s bangs too because I can not imagine paying someone else to do it. It never looks right to me either. But oh well! He is my baby and evidence many times shows that with his hair cut. LOL

• Genny says:

Well I think they look darling!

• Kristin Smith says:

Hey friend!
    I have nominated you for a blog award – check it out! 🙂 (1 for each blog! ) :):)
    Blessings, Kristin

• Carrie says:

Seriously, nothing you could do to her will change her adorable, sweet preciousness! It’s better than having one of her siblings do the cutting like my sister did to me! Now that made for some awesome pics I’ll tell ya! LOL! I think you did a fine job…and what a great story you’ll have when she’s older 😉

• I Am Baker Logo

Brand new recipes that people find kinda acceptable.

INTRODUCING...