Copycat Rumchata is a cream-based liqueur made with heavy cream, milk, dark rum, simple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It’s delicious over ice or in your favorite cocktail like a Naughty White Russian.
Copycat Rum Chata
If you are looking for a creamy and tasty versatile liqueur, this is the recipe you need to have on hand. It’s super simple to make, and there are so many ways to enjoy it! RumChata® is made in Wisconsin and is described as a Caribbean rum that blends with Mexican spices and Wisconsin dairy cream. It’s a little bit of cinnamon spice in every sip. Add some to your Rumchata Eggnog for a creamy holiday drink.
Cream: Since this is a cream-based liqueur, look for heavy cream (also known as heavy whipping cream).
Milk: I prefer whole milk for added creaminess to the beverage. You could use the milk you have on hand.
Simple Syrup: If you don’t have any on hand, it’s super easy to make your own simple syrup.
Spices: With spice as a descriptor of this drink, I added both cinnamon and nutmeg.
Rum: Generally, dark rum is used in RumChata®. If you use light rum, the flavor will differ. If you want this with less alcohol, start with about half of the amount of rum. You can always add more to taste.
What is the Difference Between Rum Chata and Baileys Irish Cream?
Although both are cream-based liqueurs, there is a difference between RumChata® and Baileys Irish cream when it comes to flavor. Rumchata has rum and cinnamon flavor while Baileys Irish cream has a chocolate flavor with a base of whiskey. However, the two are often used interchangeably. A closer variety of Bailey’s is their cinnamon and vanilla variety if you want a closer match in taste.
How to Serve Rum Chata
As I stated above, there are many ways to enjoy this liqueur. Besides over ice, here are some of my favorite ways:
- Pour a splash into coffee.
- Add a bit to your mug of hot chocolate.
- Use it in homemade cocktail recipes like Snowed-In White Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cocktail and Naughty White Russian.
- For an even stronger drink, mix Rumchata with Irish whiskey.
- Use it as a substitute for other cream liqueurs.
How to Store Copycat Rum Chata
Unlike storebought RumChata®, this copycat Rum Chata does need to be stored in the refrigerator. We stored it for up to a week, and it was still okay, but the cream did separate from the mixture a bit. So, I would recommend using it within a few days. If you need it to last a little longer, add the rum right before using it.
Copycat Rum Chata
- 2 cups (476 g) heavy cream
- 1 cup (245 g) whole milk
- 1 cup (336 g) simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup (222 g) dark rum
- In a large pitcher, add the heavy cream, milk, simple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and rum. Stir until combined. (I used a milk frother to get the spices really evenly distributed, you can also use a blender.)
- Serve over ice, or in your favorite cocktail.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.