This homemade hot cocoa recipe is the best of the best and will give you the richest and creamiest hot cocoa you’ve ever tasted. It’s sure to become your new go-to recipe for chilly days. With this recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought powder packets again. I also have a Big Batch of Hot Cocoa Mix you will want to have on hand.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Milk: I prefer whole milk when it comes to this recipe. It has a high-fat content that results in a thicker and richer texture. However, you could use other types of milk like skim milk, or even non-dairy milk alternatives. However, the substitutions could change the taste and texture of the hot cocoa.
Cocoa Powder: Look for high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder, which you could also use, will give you a slightly different flavor profile and darker color.
Marshmallows: If you don’t have any on hand, make your own homemade mini marshmallows to use. Adding marshmallows directly to the pan while melting results in amazingly rich and frothy cocoa with a velvety texture.
Can I Make This Crockpot Hot Cocoa?
Absolutely! Just add all ingredients, including the marshmallows to your crockpot. Cook on low for 1-2 hours. I do recommend doubling it for the best crockpot hot cocoa recipe. In fact, this is a great way to serve a big batch of cocoa for guests.
Can I Make Hot Chocolate Ahead of Time?
Yes! Once you get the hot chocolate made, you can store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Store it in an airtight container or glass jar with a lid. When ready to enjoy, reheat it on the stovetop or on low in a slow cooker.
How to Serve Hot Chocolate
Yes, this hot chocolate is the best you will ever sip, but you can even add more to it for more flavors.
- Try it with hazelnut, caramel sauce, cinnamon, or nutmeg.
- For an adult beverage, add a splash of brandy to your mug of hot chocolate.
- Of course, a dollop of whipped cream never hurts. Or, personalize the drink by topping it with whipped cream hearts.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 cups (980 g) whole milk
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (29.5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups (75 g) miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan combine all ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are melted, about 10 minutes. (I actually had mine on the stove for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.)
- Remove from the heat and pour into mugs.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.