Dulce de Leche Smoothie

filed under: Miscellaneous on May 6, 2011

I have a secret to tell you.

I have been seeing Dulce de Leche everywhere.  I am fascinated by it.  The way the words look and sound and the mystery of complex flavors they tease.

I love just saying Dulce de Leche.  I feel sophisticated and gourmet.

So you can image how excited I was to try it.

And how lame I felt when it just tasted like caramel.

Oh, its not Dulce de Leche’s fault.  Its mine.  I have a very unsophisticated palette!

But I can still run around saying it and pretending I am cool.

Anywho… I came across this coulndnotbeeasier recipe for a Dulce de Leche smoothie and had to try it!!

IMG_9132.smoothie

Dulce de Leche Smoothie
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

This smoothie is really thick and rich and packs a sweet punch that just might knock ya off your feet.

Course: Drinks
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Dulce de Leche Smoothie
Servings: 2 servings
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 1 box butterscotch instant pudding
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
  • 3 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
Instructions
  1. Combine in blender until smooth.
  2. Smoothie will thicken as it stands.
  3. Add whipped cream for garnish if so desired!

Can I tell you where I got this super sophisticated recipe?

Off the box of butterscotch pudding.  Thank you JELL-O.

IMG_9135.smoothie

And just because I am a glutton, I added a bit more caramel to the top.

In a good way of course.

IMG_9145.smoothie

Have you ever had Deulce de Leche?  Will you join me in just saying it at random times throughout the day?  No?  Thats weird?  Oh.

Yeah, I knew that.

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Londa says:

Oh, that looks good! I saw a recipe on Tastespotting for easy homemade Dulce de Leche. They put an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a crockpot with a couple of inches of water and cooked it over night. It transformed into thick delicious looking caramel! As if sweetened condensed milk needed any help to be better…
    Have a GREAT Mother’s Day weekend with your four sweet blessings!

• Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen says:

I love dulce de leche! I just made a dulce de leche chocolate cake recently and it was delicious!
    The smoothie looks incredible 🙂

• SweetSugarBelle says:

I missed you, LOL! YOu are so funny. LOOKS great to me, and thats MY kind of recipe! You can come here and say dulce de leche and feel really smart becaue you will know SPANISH!!!

• Amy | She Wears Many Hats says:

Ooooh, it does look mighty tasty! Will remember this one when I get a craving for caramel, which is like almost every day. ; )

• Renee says:

Oh my, I’m wiping the drool as I type… that looks so good, right up my alley too it’s easy! 🙂 I’ll have to pick up the ingredients ASAP!

• Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles says:

What a beautiful and indulgent treat! What did you use for the whipped cream topping? It’s so perfect!

• Shaina says:

Fun! I would totally add espresso to this and consider my life complete.

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Love the stuff, I could eat it morning, noon and night!

• Rachel says:

…I eat dulce de leche with a spoon! haha talk about gluttony. (oh and don’t forget the nutella)

• Paula says:

This is a delicious looking smoothie Amanda. I discovered dulce de leche several months ago. I keep a jar on hand all the time now. Will have to make this for the grandkids sometime…when they are quiet…and get them going for the parents LOL

• Cookbook Queen says:

Dulce de Leche…I am totally joining you on this. Because we all know that two weirdos = not weird anymore.
    Looks amazing!! Happy Mother’s Day!!

• Libby~Libberlicious Live Delicious says:

I love dulce de leche! I don’t generally think it has a butterscotch flavor but I guess I can see that. I have a recipe for it under my Alfajores recipe on my blog that’s safer than boiling on the counter in an unopened container. However, it’s not as easy as this! And it’s not in a shake/smoothie! How awesome is that!

• Fyra Vintage & Handmade says:

My roommates and I just took Goya Dulce de Leche cookies and dipped them into a cheap (but seriously delish) can of dulce de leche. I’m pretty sure we needed this drink to go with it!! Overload? nehhh!

• Fyra Vintage & Handmade says:

• Suzette says:

I’ve been having the same cravings Amanda and how ironic that I am enjoying a butterscotch snack cup while reading this. Just bought a mix to make my own as I needed more than what was in the snack cup ~sigh…Thanks for sharing the recipe; very blender ready here! 😉

• Trooppetrie says:

oh now this seems like something i would enjoy

• Kristin Smith says:

I have made a homemade Dulce de Leche cheesecake for my husband. It is his favorite…but making the sauce takes forever and if you aren’t watching and stirring it will scorch…I know from experience! 🙂 But your smoothie looks amazing!!

• Rose says:

Great!!! I’m from Uruguay and Dulce de Leche was invented here(though some Argentinians may argue on that). In Uruguay everything is filled with it, I’ve never known any other filling for a cake, it’s the best combination. If you get to come here, Conaprole is by far the best brand, totally delicious!!!!!!!!!!
    I love your blog and your recipes!! In fact, I always make bakerella’s cake pops with dulce de leche instead of frosting. Try it, you will love it!! LOL!

• Gianna says:

No, it’s not weird!
    No more weirder than me laughing at the word pants! All. the. time!!!!!
    I will send you that video via facebook!

• In Katrina's Kitchen says:

Ha ha! And I thought I was the only one who liked saying that! Oh and yum!

• The Lumberjack's Wife says:

I have never had anything Dulce la Leche.
    Hmmm.
    Perhaps my life is not complete?

• Bethany says:

Funny! I love good caramel and have always thought the two were next to identical. 🙂 Enjoy the nursing mommy metabolism. Mine is coming to it’s sad end. 🙂

• Homeowner Insuranc says:

I am loving dulce de leche! Looks amazing!

• Amy's blah, blah, blog says:

I’ve always loved saying it too. Super fun! Dulce de leche ice cream is over the top yummy…mmmm, my mouth waters even thinking about it!

• Anonymous says:

Wow… this is so yummy… I am really gonna try this!