Fourth of July Cake {Surprise Inside Cake!}

filed under: Miscellaneous on June 25, 2010

I love the colors of Red, White, and Blue… and love being able to incorporate them into a cake!

I especially love being able to celebrate this great nation of ours.

IMG_8089.stamp

This design is pretty old school, as my close personal friend Buddy the Cake Boss likes to say.

And when I say close personal friend you know I mean total stranger.

Just sayin.

IMG_8091.stamp

This is all vanilla frosting. The hard to distinguish black border around the star is my glaze icing. (the icing I use in place of royal icing)

The blue border and white bottom border is just piped stars… very Wilton old school. Which is really all ‘new’ school to me since I just started doing this about a year ago.

IMG_8118.stamp

I wanted to add a fun detail to the top… I just piped out a design I saw in our local newspaper last week.

IMG_8100.stamp

Thats all, thanks for coming by!

Oh, I’m kidding.

You know I cant make a cake without something weird inside.

IMG_8148.stamp

A flag Surprise Inside Cake!

IMG_8156.stamp

IMG_8189.stamp

IMG_8202.stamp

In all honesty… I think I overshot the basket on this one.

In the future I would make the internal flag cake, but with little to no decoration on the outside. Or, make the decoration on the outside, but just do white or red velvet on the inside.

I found this cake to be just a bit to busy. My dear hubby disagreed, but I think he is just such a cheerleader for my baking he was being kind. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_8114.stamp

If you want to add some patriotic spirit to your July 4th but dont
want to tackle a cake, you can also try out these super easy and fun pancakes!

Or cupcakes.

Or fruit sheet cake. The possibilities are endless!

IMG_8195.stamp

Comments

• abby says:

I saw this cake a few days ago and can not stop thinking about it. It’s such a beauty!! This is for sure my favorite cake that you’ve done. Love it!!

• lidia says:

Can you tell me how many cakes you made for this?? It has a lot of layers. Pls share cause I would like to make mine as tall as yours. Thanks

• Amanda Rettke says:

I used three
    separate cakes. One for the blue, one for the red, and one for the
    white. I only added blue to HALF of the blue cake recipe, and then
    made an additional layer in white. ๐Ÿ™‚
    have fun with it!

• lidia says:

Girl, you were fast. Here I thought I would have to wait at least a day for your response!! You Rock!!! Going to make this cake for my nephew’s birthday this Sunday. He was born on the 6th but party will be on 4th of July. I don’t think he’ll mind a flag cake cause he’s just turning 2!!! I’ve seen a lot of these cakes but yours is by FAR the prettiest and tallest!! Thanks once again, and Happy Fourth of July.
    p.s. Your blog is amazing!!

• jami says:

Looks great as always! My husband actually saw it and forwarded it to me (though I told him I always check your blog and would have seen it eventually ๐Ÿ™‚

• Carrie says:

Wow! Great cake! However, did you do the inside! Love it! Thanks for sharing & glad to find your blog. Looking forward to following!

• Honey says:

This is amazing! how did you do this?
    i can’t figure out how you got the blue in that one area.
    please show us step by step ๐Ÿ™‚
    GORGEOUS!!!

• Robin Lieb says:

What an amazing cake! I was wondering what cake recipe you actually used. I can’t wait to try this over the weekend!
    Thanks for the post!

• Jen P. says:

I was also wondering what cake recipe and frosting recipe you used as well! I’m so excited to make this cake! You did such an amazing job and I don’t think you overshot the basket at all.

• Melissa Trueblood says:

Hi Amanda,
    I am making this cake today, my 3 cakes are cooling as I type. I was wondering if you freeze your cakes before cutting/decorating them? I would appreciate the advice. Love the cake you made, you have so much talent!
    Thanks!

• Lindsey says:

I actually made this! I’m so proud of myself! This is the coolest cake, thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ˜€ (Though my family did ask where the white stars were in my blue cake. They are so hard to please!)

• darcie says:

are you KIDDING me?
    I LOOOOVE this!
    oh, how I love this!
    you are sooo very talented!

• Brisha says:

omg! That cake is soooooo cool!! I can’t even wait until next year so I can try that out!! I was seriously scrolling down slowly thinking wait for it… wait for it… she’s got to have a picture of the inside… I wonder what she did this time! and then there it was! BRILLIANCE =) haha. SUPER COOL!

• Lisa says:

Another masterpiece! I made this for the 4th of July and it was a hit. Thanks for the idea! I posted pictures in your Flickr group.

• pam says:

this is the best cake ever. it would be great for a welcome home next month

• Hypnotherapy London says:

Wow, what a cake! I love how the colours go through the cake as well. I have never seen that before. It would really be a great talking point. More cakes like this. Brilliant!!!

• Carolyn West says:

Your cakes are beautifully done!!
    Here are many inspired Summer and Patriotic entertaining, decorations and gift ideas that would look good around these gourmet cakes.

• Sonya says:

when i made this cake it came out great! but one thing i couldn’t get over was the crumbs that were all over it do you have any tips on a way to make tit looks cleaner?

• Lorilee says:

I love it. I have been decorating cakes on the OUTSIDE only! I may give this a try for the 4th.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

• Jennifer says:

I think this cake is amazing. Way to go!

• Gianna says:

I saw this on the BlogHer Newsletter and said, “that looks like Amanda!”
    Oh, yeah! Oh, yeah! It is! And I’m cool. But totally not as cool as you!
    Awesome! You are making a name for yourself. Great work!

• Vanessa says:

Hi Amanda,
    This cake looks fantastic! What frosting and coloring gel did you use for the red sections? I am currently having trouble getting a nice red buttercream without it tasting funny and needing to use the whole botter of Americolor super red!