A Gingerbread White Russian is a festive twist on the classic White Russian, blending vodka, Kahlua, honey, molasses, and spices, topped with heavy cream. The cinnamon sugar rim and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the drink add an extra sweet and spiced kick to each sip. This is the perfect cocktail to get you in the holiday spirit! I also have a Gingerbread Martini, a fun drink to serve and enjoy this winter!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cinnamon Sugar Rim: You don’t have to dip the cocktail glasses in the cinnamon sugar mixture, but it adds both visual appeal and flavor! Cinnamon is also added to the drink itself.
Vodka: Use your favorite brand of vodka as the base of this drink.
Kahlua: Kahlua is a coffee-flavored liqueur. Substitute a shot of espresso or brewed coffee for the Kahlua if vodka is enough alcohol for you.
Honey: Honey adds a natural sweetness to the drink.
Molasses: The molasses shines through in this drink, which I loved!
Ginger: Ground Ginger, along with the cinnamon, enhances the gingerbread flavor. You could definitely pop a piece of fresh ginger into the glass if you want an extra fresh kick!
Heavy Cream: Top off each drink with heavy cream (heavy whipping cream). Gently stir it into the drink for that lovely swirl effect. For a lighter option, try half-and-half, milk, or coffee creamer.
Ice: You can get creative with the ice you use. I made mine with gingerbread man ice cubes, perfect for the holidays.
Can I Make A Gingerbread White Russian Without A Cocktail Shaker?
Absolutely! To make this cocktail without a cocktail shaker, first, fill the glasses with ice. Next, add the vodka, Kahlua, honey, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Top each drink with heavy cream. Gently stir just a few times to get the swirl effect. Sip away!
Can I Make A Non-Alcoholic Gingerbread White Russian?
Yes, it is easy to make this cocktail into a Gingerbread White Russian Mocktail (no alcohol). To make the mocktail, replace the vodka and Kahlua with brewed coffee or espresso that has cooled. Then, simply mix the coffee with the other ingredients and top with heavy cream. Enjoy!
Gingerbread White Russian
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces Kahlua
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- ice cubes
- ground cinnamon, for garnish
- On a small plate, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Using lowball glasses, wet the rims with a small amount of water. Roll the rims of both glasses in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add vodka, Kahlua, honey, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Shake well to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Fill each prepared glass with crushed ice. Strain the gingerbread cocktail mixture into the glass, filling it about ¾ full. Gently pour the heavy cream over the cocktail. Give the drink a gentle stir to combine the flavors slightly.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon on top. Cheers!
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I love a good White Russian, so adding this holiday spin was perfect for me! I was a big fan of the molasses and honey in this one!
This cocktail has a creamy texture with a strong molasses flavor. It will be a hit at any holiday party, perfect for sipping!
This is a tasty holiday twist on the traditional White Russian. It's silky and creamy. There is a bold flavor from the molasses.
Warning- this is a strong cocktail but has all the holiday and nostalgic flavors you expect for gingerbread!