UPDATE: Here is Homemade Yellow Cake Mix in a Jar!
I gotta be honest with you.
Most of the time I am running around like a crazy woman. I am usually pretty scatterbrained and frantically trying to get to everything that needs to be done in a day.
So I decided that I needed to simplify my baking a bit. Remove some steps. But NEVER sacrifice quality and taste!!
Which leads me to today’s post. I LOVE that I get to share this with you and I hope that you will try it too!
Did you know you can make your own homemade white cake mix?
You can have high quality, delicious tasting cake with the ease and convenience of a box mix.
And it just takes moments to do!
Homemade Cake Mix
Just assemble your dry ingredients as well as the sugar. (full recipe below)
2 3/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cups SUPER fine sugar (you can buy this or make it)
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
(I will post the rest of the recipe I am using below)
Sift together all ingredients and place in a mason jar or your chosen storage container.
And voila! You have your own cake mix! (This recipe totaled about 4 1/2 cups of dry ingredients, so I used an eight-cup mason jar)
You will, of course, need to add the wet ingredients when you are ready to make your cake.
So I just write what I need to add on a little reminder card.
And don’t forget the date! I would probably try and use this within three months. But around here, I usually use at least one jar a week!
Don’t forget the instructions! (I am not saying that from experience or anything…) And any other little annoying notes you might want to write yourself.
I sorta love words like moist and delicious and yum when describing cake. I can’t help myself.
Feel free to do this with chocolate cake or yellow cake or any cake that suits your fancy.
Can’t wait to show you the cake I am making with this jar! 🙂
No need to go to the store when you can have delcious white cake mix at home!
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups SUPER fine sugar you can buy this or make it
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 5 egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans or a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer (or stand mixer) cream butter until lighter in color and creamier. (1-2 minutes.)
- Add in egg whites and mix on low until incorporated.
- Add in milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until just combined.
- Add in all dry ingredients and stir by hand until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 18-22 minutes for round pans. If using the 9x13 pan start checking at 22 minutes. Even oven is different! When an inserted toothpick is removed with a few crumbs but no wet batter, the cake is done.
UPDATED: This is the cake I made with this jar… Chocolate Covered Cherry Oreo Cake!