Homemade Soda

filed under: Miscellaneous on May 25, 2011
Homemade Lemon/Lime Soda
Prep Time
7 mins
Total Time
7 mins

I have never been a soda drinker. If anything, I will have a Sprite or Sierra Mist… but I usually always buy it in the bottle and then I open it and wait until it gets flat.

Course: Drinks
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Homemade Lemon/Lime Soda, Lemon/Lime Soda
Servings: 4 servings
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 3/4 c Simply Syrup*
  • 1/4 c Fresh Lime Juice
  • 2 c Sparkling Water
  • Lemons and Limes as needed for flavor and garnish.
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in a pitcher and stir to combine.
  2. *I tend to like things on the sweeter side, I would start with 1/2 cup and add more if needed

I have never been a soda drinker.

IMG_0398.homemadesoda

Seriously, why do I admit such things?  I am so weird.

Anyway, when I came across a recipe to make your own lemon/lime soda I was pretty darn stoked.

Just in case you were wondering, it is completely normal for middle aged stay at home moms to get stoked.

At least, I keep telling myself that.

IMG_0240.homemadesoda

The recipe could not be easier.

AND its cheap!!

And fresh.  And yummy.  And your kids can drink it because you know what each and every ingredient is.

Its a win-win folks.

IMG_0314.lemons

I love fresh cut lemons.  There is just something so clean and sparkling about them!

IMG_0285.homemadesoda

IMG_0459sodasmaller

I tried using that fake lime juice that comes in the green plastic thingy… it was no good.

I highly recommend using fresh lime juice.  One lime (I squeezed every last drop) was about 1/4 cup.

Audrey loved it and kept trying to take my “props”!

IMG_0352.homemadesoda

She got downright testy when I tried to take it back!

IMG_0369.homemadesoda

I let her keep it… and just whipped up another batch for myself.

If you like lemon/lime soda at all, this is one recipe that is definitely worth trying!

*****

You can see this on I’m Loving It over at my favorite crafty blog.. Tidymom!  Be sure to link up anyting YOU are loving.. her amazing readers are so good about visiting and building bloggy relationships!

Comments

• Megan {a dash of megnut} says:

looks soo good! and i just cut a lemon to make strawberry ice cream and i have half a lemon left. so i’m half way there with the garnish! yippee

• ElizaBeth says:

You so can not be middle aged! I’ve got 2 and a half teenagers and a few years on you and I still won’t admit I’m old- I still like load music ;)And how dare you try to take a soda from that bundle of blond cuteness?! Seriously, wasn’t she just learning to crawl the other day, boy does time fly!

• Kristen says:

OK – I’m sorry but your sweet daughter stole the show here. I was about to comment on your gorgeous soda pics then got to her sweet face. CUTE!

• carma says:

I could see my son becoming addicted to that very quickly. Audrey has good taste 🙂

• cecilia says:

I am from Mexico and when you order lemonade there you can choose between “natural”, with bottled water or lemonade with sparkling water. So next time you are in Mexico just say “Limonada con agua mineral”;)

• Wendy says:

I am the same way! I prefer my sodas flat. My husband thinks I am crazy! I have never heard of anyone else who likes them the same way.

• Bethany says:

Audrey is so beautiful…and BIG. Where did that chubby thighed baby go? Cute pigtails.
    And no way are you middle aged. That would make me middle aged and I’m living in denial as long as I can.

• Nancy says:

Bet this would be lovely with strawberries too!

• A perfect drink for summer!!! I am with you – I love fresh lemons and limes – in fact I find I cannot cook without them!!
    Bet this would be lovely with strawberries too!

• Cyndi says:

We make home-made maple soda…a little high quality (real!) maple syrup and any carbonated water and viola!! instant yummy goodness (if you use a high quality lighter amber syrup, it tastes like cream soda). My kids adore it!

• Jenney says:

Wow. I can’t wait to try that sometime. OK lady, how DO you make the whole set-up look so professional? I swear I was reading Country Living when I looked at your lay out!

• Allison says:

This is such a great idea! I never considered making my own soda.
    I’d like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/26/lemon-chocolate-cupcakes/

• Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

This is such a great idea! I never considered making my own soda.

• marla says:

Amanda, your daughter is sooooo cute!! I am also not a soda drinker, unless I make this kind of thing at home. Simple & perfect 🙂 xo

• naomi says:

Your daughter is so ADORABLE!!! Love this recipe! Perfect for summer and with the base recipe you can pretty much make it any flavor.

• Sistergirl says:

I have to try this I love aything with lemons.

• TidyMom says:

Thanks for linking up Amanda! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2011/summer-food-and-fun/ Hope you’re having a fabulous holiday weekend!

• Shaina says:

I am so inviting myself over the next time this is made. So…buy extra and let’s get together?

• Robbi C says:

We made this last night to go with our grilled hamburgers and it is absolutely delicious! I am going to make more today with dinner. So easy to make and oh so good! Thank you for posting it!

• stacey says:

Great recipe!! This will be perfect for our lemonade stand! http://silikids.wordpress.com/lemonade-stand/
    Thanks!!

• Bouyah says:

Awesome recipe, it tastes so refreshing!
    Have you tried carbonating your own water, too? I found this blog also: http://homemadesodaexpert.blogspot.com/
    There’s some great fruit recipes there and some instructions on bottling it to save for later. Absolutely wonderful, thank you

• Anshu says:

This sounds tasty! Gonna try it. Pinned it over at pinterest

• Emily (New York) says:

Awesome! Like another commenter said, I have the soda stream at home and love love love making my own soda. I’ve been trying to give up soda but this sounds like a slightly healthier and still yummy version! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Kurt says:

When I was a kid there was nothing better than reaching into a big open Coca Cola cooler filled with ice and glass bottles of Cliquot Club soda. Also in there was a host of so many other flavors and varieties like, Cream soda, Moxie, Orange Crush (with real bits or orange peel in it!) birch beer, root beer and of course Coca Cola included.

My favorite Cliquot Club soda flavor was the lemon/lime which tasted very much like lemon/lime lifesaver candy. It was green and bubbly. Lemon/lime sodas today taste more like Seven Up. Mountain dew is close but it still isn’t the same thing!