Just six ingredients are all you need to bake the most flavorful and delicious Lemon Surprise Cake! If you happen to love Lemon Pound Cake as much as I do, try my from-scratch version! (Better yet, try this Cream Cheese Pound Cake. It’s award-winning!)
Just six ingredients are all you need to bake the most flavorful and delicious Lemon Surprise Cake!
- 1 1/2 cup (339g or 3 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (600g) granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups (384g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. McCormick Lemon Extract
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soda, like 7-up or Sprite
- 3 cups (375g) confectioners sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Lemon Extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (or spray with non-stick spray) a bundt pan.
- Cream sugar and butter in the bowl of stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy and light.
- With the mixer on low, add eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Add in lemon extract and soda and then slowly add in flour and mix until fully incorporated.
Bake at 350°F for one hour and fifteen minutes or until inserted toothpick is removed with very few crumbs.
Place butter in bowl and mix (with hand-held mixer or stand mixer) until light. Add in confectioners sugar and extract. (If frosting is too think it can be thinned with a little milk.)
Lemon Surprise Cake
Why did I call this a lemon “surprise” cake? Because it has lemon-lime soda as an ingredient! I was a bit shocked that one little can of soda can make such a wonderful difference in a cake, but it did. I can’t wait to try this with other flavors!
Traditionally speaking, this is a lemon pound cake and has been around for many generations. Our grandmothers were masters of finding ways to save money and use what they had to create beautiful and delicious desserts.
What is a Lemon Surprise Cake?
This is actually considered a pound cake. The definition of pound cake is this: a rich cake containing a pound, or equal weights, of each chief ingredient, typically flour, butter, and sugar. One of the original lemon pound cake recipes was:
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 pound butter
- 1 pound flour
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
With changes in the sourcing of flours, accessibility of ingredients, quality of butter, and the addition of extracts in baking, some modifications have been made to that original recipe.
So if you want to get technical, this lemon pound cake recipe does not have equal parts of flour, butter, and sugar. However, it still maintains the rich flavor and beautiful, dense crumb that is commonly associated with a pound cake.
Easy 7-Up Cake
- lemon extract
Let me know if you try this super easy and delicious cake! Photography by Ashlee Marie.