Mothers Day Cake

filed under: Cakes on April 12, 2010

Did you know Mothers Day is May 9th? That is only twenty-seven days you have to find the perfect gift!

Good thing you stopped here.

Over the course of the next twenty-seven days I am going to be sharing with you some simple yet tear-inducing gifts that your mom will love.

I mean love.

First up is the Mothers Day Cake.

mothers day cake

You can do this! Just bake a cake then make swirly things on top. Mom’s love swirly thingies!

motehrs day cake

But lets take it a step further.

mothers day cake

Mom rocks right? She deserves something more. She deserves the little extra effort.

mothers day cake

Can you see it? The swirls are actually made up of letters! (I did this before with my Spring Celebration Cake)

Its says, “happy mothers day” over and over and over again.

IMG_1732.cake

When you give mom her cake, she is going to feel so special. When you tell her that *you have devoted hours and hours to painstakingly writing out each individual letter to spell out ‘happy mothers day’ she is going to flip out.

*Disclaimer. Don’t lie to your mom. This cake took me less than an hour to decorate.

I used a box mix for this cake. Devils Food.

For the fondant… (this is exciting news for me so I have a little drum roll going in my head)..

I made it from scratch!

Now. People have been telling me for over six months to make my own, but I was scared.

It seemed hard! There are so many ways to mess up! It’s not going to look as nice and smooth as the store bought!

Psh-aw.

Nonsense.

1 bag mini marshmallows

1 pound confectioners sugar

1 tbsp water

shortening for greasing hands and surface

IMG_1600.cake

(cake before I added little hearts)

IMG_1740.cake
So not only was it easy, it tastes Great!! I actually ate cake with fondant and I enjoyed it!

Plus, it is SO MUCH cheaper!

Thank you, bakers of the world, for sharing your secrets. My wallet and taste-buds are forever grateful.

Be sure to stop back for my next Fantastic Mothers Day Gift Idea. (imagine an announcer with a really deep voice saying that in a really significant way)

I promise you won’t be disappointed!

Comments

• vincent says:

Hello,
    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.
    enjoy your recipes.
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.
    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”
    Best regards,
    Vincent
    petitchef.com

• Liz says:

super cute and creative but my wrist hurts just looking at it!

• Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

Once again you have seriously impressed me!

• abby says:

That is so adorable!! And thanks for sharing the fondant recipe…I just may try it someday!

• bp says:

That is just so neat to see the tiny little letters! I don’t know how you do that!!

• sildenafil citrate says:

Ilike chocolate cake…# Easy-to-make chocolate cake mix.
    # Bakes into a moist, delicious chocolate cake.
    # Just stir together eggs, oil, water & mix, then bake.
    # Layer and frost, or simply sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar if desired.

• tanya says:

amanda, i want to make a rainbow cake, but i cant find your vanilla cake recipe. i dont want to use a box mix, can you direct me to the vanilla cake recipe? i have been looking all over your site. thanks

• Emily says:

I made fondant for my son’s birthday cupcakes, my recipe was a little different but still easy and definately tasted better than store bought. My husband went to a cake supply store for me to get some glycerin, he told the lady what I was doing and she said I was crazy, that she always uses store bought.
    Your cake is super cute by the way.
    Emily @ http://456eleven.com

• Sue says:

I LOVE this!!!

• Kathy D says:

amanda,
    well now it took me forever to get to the bottom of all the compliments… and i think i saw oh my goodness a few times… i just say … oh my goodness… it just makes me marvel at what you create… it is amazing! so… keep it up… i would love to come to your house and eat some of that good stuff…. hope you are doing well.
    kathy

• Alex says:

Simplistic and gorgeous. You never fail to impress. I’m holding off even making a cake with fondant. I’m a little scared that I’m going to mess it up. Replace the little with really. It’s a beautiful cake!

• philippines gift says:

Wow! how so sweet looks so delicious this cake is gorgeous.
    vee

• Ashley O says:

I am really feeling like I could use one of these right now since my entire house was just wiped out with the stomach flu. Would you be a dear and whip me one up and stick it in the mail. 🙂 That’s a joke by the way but, it is beautiful!! I love it!!

• grace says:

i know i’ve questioned this before, but how are you not completely cross-eyed? do you wear a monocle or have a magnifying glass attached to your head? 🙂
    gorgeous work. 🙂

• Rita says:

Adorable, I love this! And the marshmallow fondant – genius… I’ll be trying both soon. Thanks!

• Amy says:

Yes, homemade fondant IS awesome! I’ve been using that exact same recipe for 3 years now, and I love it…and that is an adorable cake!

• Noey says:

does this fondant taste better than the rolled one, like the one they sell at michael’s?

• ClassiclyAmber says:

Wow! That is so pretty and unique! I have never seen anything like it before. Spectacular~! =-D

• Theresa says:

Amanda, This cake looks amazing! I was planning to make a teapot cake for my mom for mothers day, so Im going to attempt the Happy Mothers Day swirles on it. (wish me luck)
    What did you use for the lettering? is it just buttercream thats tinted and written with a small piping tip or is it royal icing?

• Christina says:

If I had half of your talent…
    Beautiful! Just beautiful and looks so good!
    I have a question: whenever I go to frost my cakes it crumbles like crazy.
    I always end up having to make more frosting to cover up the ugliness of the first attempt. I try to do all things homemade. Which is annoying to make homemade frosting twice.
    Anywho, do you have ANY suggestions?? I would be ever so grateful!

• Mother's Day Philippines says:

I like everything you make its so gorgeous and delicious,perfect gift for this coming mother’s day.
    vee

• kristen says:

Do you have the recipe typed out that you can share? The youtube video is great, but I do better with STILL. Also, any recommendations for dying it? Can I just add the wilton food coloring? Great photography and beautiful creations! Adding you to my bookmark:)

• Amanda Rettke says:

I just google Marshmallow Fondant and lots of resources came up…
    There are a couple great ones that can help you!
    Blessings-