Mothers Day Garden Party

filed under: Cakes on April 21, 2010

Are you ready for Mothers Day yet? Did you know its only seventeen days away?!?!

I would love to show you a few ways you can bake your way onto mom’s “Favorite Kid” list!

Granted. I am still trying to get on my own moms ‘favorite kid’ list. And I only have one sister.

But anywho.

I have another cake for you. This one is easy schmeezy. I promise.

IMG_2716.fruit

Pin It

And it is even a little good for you!

Well. As good as cake can be for you.

But it has fruit on it! And in it!

IMG_2708.sfruit

I cant help myself. My name is Amanda and I am addicted to rainbows.

IMG_2733.cake

Here is the top of the cake.

IMG_2797.vingette

And here is one way you can honor mom this Mothers Day…

…make her a little ‘garden party’ with drinks and gifts and cake!

Come on. Would your mom not love to have a garden party dedicated to her?

To create the picture frame message, just grab any old picture at the flea market or thrift store, and paint it black with chalkboard paint. Then write anything you want!

(I chose Happy Mothers Day. I am very original.)

IMG_2781.collage

I just wrapped some small mason jars with paper and ribbon, then added a little sheath to the straw that says, ‘love you mom’.

I sorta coordinated the cups and gifts to match the cake stand.

Not the cake.

Next time I will plan things out better. 🙂

IMG_2805.cake

This cake is covered in whipped cream.

Since I have now discovered how easy it is to cover a cake with whipped cream I will be using it on every single cake I make from now until forever.

You have been warned.

IMG_2919.cake

And here is the inside… it’s a rainbow rainbow cake.

Made with actual fruit instead of just tinting the layers with food coloring*. Not that I am opposed to that. I love that. I try to do that every single time I bake a cake.

But this was not about me! I know some moms like to try and eat right and don’t need massive amounts of sugar to make them feel happy. At least, I heard that once. It might be a myth. I’m having a hard time believing it.

Anyway, I printed out six different recipes so that I could make six different cakes for this one rainbow cake.

Then I realized how much work that was so I chickened out.

So, I made a double batch of white cake then added specific ingredients to each layer.

How to Make a Double Rainbow Cake

(To do a double rainbow cake I just cut each individual layer in half after baking)

Each cake was baked in a six inch round cake pan using 1 1/4 cups of the white cake batter.

I just added the following ingredients directly to the batter, combined, then poured into prepared pan.

Red– 1/2 cup pureed strawberries

Orange– Two tablespoons of freshly grated orange zest and 1 tsp. freshly squeezed orange juice

Yellow– Two tablespoons of freshly grated lemon zest

Green– 1/2 cup of diced kiwi

Blue-1/2 cup of blueberries, plus a few pureed for color

Purple– 1/2 cup of finely diced purple grapes, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon orange zest

*I added a few scant drops of food coloring just to make things a little more easily distinguishable but for the most part its all just the color of the fruit!

IMG_2997.cake

I decided not to use frosting between the layers because this cake was already going to be so tall, so I just made a simple syrup and brushed that on between the layers.

For simple syrup:

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

Put into a pan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Once boiling, remove from heat and let cool.

This meant that the cake stayed nice and moist, and also brought out the wonderful natural flavors of the fruit.

I hope you try it… and be sure to let me know if you do!

IMG_2914.cake

I’ve got (at least) one more great Mothers Day gift idea coming… and it’s my favorite yet!

Can’t wait to share it with you!

IMG_2800.svignette

Comments

• Brisha says:

I made this cake for my mom for mothers day, she is totally obsessed with rainbows and she loved it!! I didn’t do a double rainbow but I put frosting in between the layers and I used a lemon cream cheese frosting. It was such a hit!

• Amanda Daybyday says:

I just discovered your blog from University of Cookie. I’m very much enjoying it. I was so inspired by this one that I just had to try it myself. I blogged about it too. Just posted today if you’d like to see how it turned out…
    Thanks and look forward to seeing what you make in the future!

• Nancy says:

I made the rainbow cake from The Whisk Kid’s blog and it came out beautifully. I like that you used fruit as food coloring plus the fruit on top. I will try this for my next baking project, thanks!

• Thuri says:

It´s so pretty 😀 I´m thinking of trying it out too – If I do I will link you back and of course give you a link to see how it came out – that is if its gonna be half as pretty as yours is
    Love your blog

• Thuri says:

Hi what recepie do you use for the white cake batter?

• Thuri says:

I wanna try this one out tomorrow for my bday 😉 I have a ton of white cake recepies but I don´t know which one to pick *lol*
    hope you can give me a tip 😀

• Thuri says:

Hi I did it I made this cake and it was so tasty 🙂 take a peak on my blog andromedaskitchen.com 🙂
    I used my own dough for it and a slightly bigger cake pan since I didn´t have any 6inch big – but it looked great and was a big surprise 🙂

• clauee says:

love it!!

• Jordan AJF8 says:

r u often luxuriating in sunshine in the garden?

• Asic says:

These are the most popular spring flowers for spilling color over low stonewalls or beside garden steps.

• Eva says:

Dear Amanda,
    That cake is so nice! I’m planning to make that cake for my mom and I’m a kid. But will it work out if I use a rectangular baking pan?

• mothers day flowers says:

That really looks yummy!!! Homemade cake, plus a beautiful flower arrangement on the side that would be more perfect 🙂

• dig this chick says:

A reader (jen) just linked to this page because I am making a rainbow cake for my daughter’s birthday on Saturday and the recipe I was going to use is out the window! Love the layer cake with the fruit for color (and am shocked with the color?! I would have thought it would be a lot more pale)….hmmm I had finally talked myself into letting pints of food dye enter my daughter’s cake. We’ll see. Anyway, thanks!

• Allison says:

Love the idea of this rainbow cake! I made it, and it was delicious. I loved using the fruit as the flavoring, and it really was pretty.
    You can see mine here: http://bit.ly/dXizdO

• avimom says:

I made this for my daughter’s birthday this weekend to surprise her. It was so delightful! I have to say, I was a bit worried as the batter was quite light, but the colors really intensified during baking. My layers were thin, so they baked quickly. The first two colors turned golden brown on top until I figured to bake for less time, but they were lovely on the inside when the cake was cut. The best surprise, though, is how delicious and moist it was. Just superb!

• Sarah says:

This cake is beautiful! However, I just made it per your measurements yesterday and it sure didn’t look colorful! Next time I guess I’ll have to add food coloring too;)

• Kathy says:

I followed this post from another blog…Fantastic…I’m favoriting it. Kathy

• katie says:

I made this cake this weekend for my daughter’s 2nd birthday. There was not a single piece left over! It took me foreveeeer to make though. Maybe it’s just me.. but it was a true labor of love. It tasted awesome!

• Korenainthekitchen says:

This is so beautiful! A rainbow layer cake has been on my “list”, but frankly I was a little put off by all the food colouring… so this version would be great!

• Angie All The Way says:

Thank you for this rainbow cake!! I was looking for a more “natural” rainbow cake for my son’s first birthday smash cake and this is it! I am wondering how do you think it will turn out if I pour the different cake batters on top of one another in layers and cook it as one cake? Will it mix together too much do you think?

• Solomiyka says:

This is truly inspiring! I will be making this in the future 😀 Thank you!!

• Jessica says:

I love this! So beautiful, I can’t wait to try it! Love your creativity. 😀

• jess says:

Thank you!!! I’ve been seeing all the awesome rainbow cakes on pinterest and happened on yours. I’ve been trying reallly hard to not use/consume food coloring (when possible) for my littles. This is the most awesome cake and I might just bake it for st.patricks day… Thanks so much!