Orange and chocolate really unite in this fun and super tasty Chocolate and Orange Cake! Two layers of chocolate cake sandwich a light and citrusy orange cake which is then layered with a creamy orange buttercream frosting.
This Chocolate and Orange Cake is perfect for any time of year or gathering! How about the center of your next holiday get together? I don’t think anyone will mind you bringing this lovely cake!
Orange and chocolate really unite in this fun and super tasty Chocolate and Orange Cake! Two layers of chocolate cake sandwich a light and citrus orange cake which is then layered with a creamy orange buttercream frosting.
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 2/3 c butter softened
- 1/4 c shortening
- 2 c granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. McCormick vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda + 1/8 teaspoon divided
- 1 c buttermilk + 3 tablespoons divided
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 tsp. McCormick orange extract
- 1/4 c butter softened
- 6 c powdered sugar divided
- 2 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 3 8" round baking pans with parchment paper, set aside.
Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth, set aside. Beat together your butter, shortening, sugar, salt and vanilla in large bowl until well combined.
- Add eggs mixing well.
- Stir 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda into 1 cup buttermilk and add to butter mixture alternately with flour.
Measure 1 2/3 cups batter into small bowl and stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and 3 tablespoons buttermilk, orange peel and orange extract.
- Pour into one of your prepared pan.
- Stir cocoa mixture into remaining batter and divide evenly between remaining pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, orange peel and vanilla in large bowl until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, alternating with milk.
- Place one chocolate layer on cake stand or turntable and spread with some of the buttercream.
- Top with orange layer; spread with frosting.
- Top with remaining chocolate layer; frost top and sides of cake.
Recipe adapted from Orange Cocoa Cake
If you love the flavors of orange and chocolate together then this cake is for you! The flavors play off one another so well… you get a subtle burst of citrus followed by the delectable chocolate.
This is one cake to keep handy that’s for sure! Kids adore it, adult adore it…how can you go wrong there?
Recipe and Photography by Tornadough Alli.