My family absolutely loves these Patriotic Chocolate Tacos! The best part? You can make this fun ice cream treat ahead of time and serve at your 4th if July celebration!
These chocolate tacos are actually pretty easy to assemble! The part that is a bit trickier is the timing. There is a lot of freezing and steps in between freezing and that can have you tied to your kitchen for a couple hours. But the result is worth it when you show friends and family your homemade Patriotic Chocolate Tacos!
How to Make Chocolate Tacos
Chocolate waffle cone recipe (below)
waffle cone maker
small offset spatula
chocolate wafers in red, white, blue
Start by setting out your ice cream to thaw for about 30 minutes. (I used ice cream in an oval container when I saw Ashlee Marie do that for her gorgeous Chocolate Tacos) Use a sharp knife and run it around the edges of the container to remove ice cream.
Set ice cream on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and cut off 1/3 of the end. Now lay that end on it’s longest side and cut into smaller pieces, less than 1 inch thick. Lay those pieces flat on the parchment and freeze for at least 30 minutes, preferably 2 hours.
Prepare chocolate taco batter.
Assembling Chocolate Tacos
Tips for Chocolate Tacos
- 1 cup (225g) granulated sugar
- 4 large egg whites (120g), room temperture
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (57g) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (128g) all-purpose flour
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add all the chocolate waffle ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a waffle cone maker, drop 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate batter. (some chocolate tacos will be small, some bigger)
- Cook for approximately 1 minute, or until machine says they are ready.
- Fill chocolate shells as soon as possible as they will harden after about 60 seconds.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.