The Perfect Crusting Buttercream
- 7½ cups (2 pounds or 937g) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup shortening, or ½ cup room temperature butter and ½ cup shortening (See alternate method of making buttercream if using butter and shortening.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, use clear if want white frosting
- ½-¾ cup whole milk, as needed for desired consistency
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream shortening and vanilla (2-4 minutes).
- Add in the confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time. If you find your mixer struggling, slowly add in milk. Use more milk for a creamy consistency; use less milk for a stiff consistency. Finally, add salt.
Alternate Method (Using ½ cup butter and ½ cup shortening)
- Place room temperature butter and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer. Put the entire 2-pound bag (7½ cups) of confectioners' sugar on top. Then, add vanilla, ½ cup milk, and salt.
- Turn the mixer on low and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and mix for 2-4 minutes. Add more milk, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I decorated this cake in six minutes last night.
Seriously. It took maybe six minutes to cover the whole cake.
I did that because I wanted to show you the tutorial that I promised on how to make this delish Chocolate Hazelnut cake.
So now YOU can decorate a cake in six minutes.
They sure look alike huh? LOL
I did use the same technique, just a different sized decorators tip!
This is a 9PT tip.
is a 2A tip!
1. Apply gentle pressure to bag and place some frosting on your cake.
2. Make a ‘dot’ with your tip.
3. Using the pressure of the tip, push down and away. (Like you are moving the tip away from the dot, but taking a bit of the frosting with you.)
Repeat this over the entire cake and you are all done!
It’s a quick process and has a big impact.
Pretty, pink, silly, different, unique, and fun enough to delight any recipient!
Let me know if you try it!
Add in some pink or red food color as needed.