Red Velvet Fudge

filed under: Candy on December 10, 2010

I suddenly got this brilliant idea that I wanted to make Red Velvet fudge.  So I sat down and googled it, hoping for a great, no fail recipe.

Those words are very important to a bad recipe follower like myself.

IMG_5666.stamp

No such luck.

I couldnt even find a match for ‘red velvet fudge’.

I was totally dejected.

IMG_5671.stamp

Then it hit me… I could create a recipe!

At the very least, significantly modify an existing one.

IMG_5685.stamp

I started here, with Martha’s Foolproof Holiday Fudge.

IMG_5789.stamp

I added food coloring and used white chocolate chips and red cherry flavored chips.

Talk about significant modifications. *snort*

IMG_5751.stamp

Thing is, this recipe is just not my favorite.  It was good, but not mind blowing.

IMG_5818.stamp

(side by side comparison of the two recipes I made… I love the texture on the second)

So then I found a recipe on allrecipes.com.  I read it twenty seven times.  I read every comment.

I figured, if I could make a recipe for red velvet fudge, like real red velvet fudge, it would be from this one.

IMG_5828.stamp

IMG_5808.stamp

If you ever try this, please let me know what you think!

Happy Holidays!

IMG_5859.stamp

Red Velvet Fudge
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
cool
1 hr
Total Time
40 mins

I suddenly got this brilliant idea that I wanted to make Red Velvet fudge. So I sat down and googled it, hoping for a great, no fail recipe.

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Red Velvet Fudge
Servings: 25 small squares
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 2 c white sugar
  • 1/4 c cocoa
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. red gel food coloring
Instructions
  1. Using a 5×9 pan (typically same size as banana bread pan, if you want thinner pieces, use 8×8) line pan with wax parchment paper or wax paper.

2. Make sure you have some extra on all four sides.
  3. Combine sugar, cocoa, buttermilk, sweet condensed milk (if you choose to add it), and food coloring in a non stick pan. (I used a big pot) Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, but do not scrape down the sides. (to avoid getting crystallized sugar in fudge)

4. Using a well calibrated thermometer, make sure the fudge gets up to 238 degrees.
  5. Reduce heat and allow fudge to simmer. DO NOT STIR. At all. Like seriously dont even touch the pan.
  6. Allow fudge to cool to 110 degrees and add butter and vanilla.
  7. Beat by hand or use electric mixer until fudge loses its sheen. (I used an electric mixer for 20 minutes. Not kidding. Some folks say this stage takes 3-5 minutes.)

8. Place in prepared pan and allow to cool, usually 1-2 hours.
  9. This recipe yielded 25 small squares.

*Next time I make this I am going to try 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk… I think it could handle a little more sweetness!

Happy Note to Share:

I had read that a great way to clean your pot after baking fudge is to add some milk, reheat the pot, then enjoy a wonderfully delicious cup cocoa… or in our case,  Red Velvet Hot Cocoa!!

Yes, I really did just say Red Velvet Hot Cocoa.  I actually did that and can attest to its wonderfulness!!

Your email address will not be published.

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Momma McCall says:

I’m totally impressed and will be sucking off your cool for sure this Christmas- great gift idea!

• Angela Gifford says:

That looks wonderful!! I’m definitely going to have to try that. So pretty!

• susan says:

Okay… I have to admit that the redness of the first ones creeps me out a bit. It’s too… “Fake food” looking to me. Just being honest. BUT, those second red velvet ones… Oh!!! I’d bite into one of those in a second – and you know I’m a picky person when it comes to anything chocolatey! Very creative, though, Amanda!

• Sharon says:

Your Red velvet fudge looks and sounds delicious. Can’t wait to try it.

• Georgia says:

Does this turn your mouth and teeth red when you eat it?

• SweetSugarBelle says:

I’ve heard of and like Oreo fudge but never red velvet! Have u had it? Or just decide it would be good(I’ll reread in case u answered this.)
    Anyway, I’m going.to.just give you my husbands.comment when I showed him your post. I quote…whoa, that looks.so good it’d hurt….and it does.

• Kelly says:

I love red velvet cake and cupcakes, so I am so excited about this!!! Thank you for sharing!

• Healthy Foods says:

Another great specialty from our very own mommy!

• Rebecca says:

Those 2nd red velvet fudge looks yummy!!!I only wish I had half the imagination that u have Amanda…I cannot think of any new ideas…I can only copy : (

• Katrina says:

So weird. I was looking at foodgawker and saw someone made red velvet hot cocoa and then i thought about all the hot chocolate on a stick posts recently and wondered if there was a red velvet fudge recipe out there. and like you..found nothing. this could work! I just thought it would be neat and interesting to give away red velvet hot chocolate on a stick with maybe a cream cheese flavoured marshmallow. thanks for posting this recipe!

• Barbara says:

I agree…the texture is more inviting on the second batch. Cute idea and it looks adorable wrapped in the holly tissue.
    (And I loved the cake in your previous post!)

• Kristin Morris says:

Amanda,
    I made this! It was absolutely DELICIOUS! Except I made it with the 1/2 c buttermilk and 1/2 swntd. cnd. milk. It was delicious! Perfect sweetness/chocolate balance. I do just have one issue, maybe you can help me. When I was at the “stirring til no sheen” part, it was fine. AS SOON AS I stopped stirring, and grabbed my pan to put it in, it got rock hard. I had to scrape it out and mesh it together in the pan. LOL. It was delicious still, but crumbly, like left out play-doh. What do you think went wrong?

• Jenn@eatcakefordinner says:

Wow, I am seriously speachless. This has got to be one of the most creative fudges I have ever seen.

• Londa says:

I may or may not consume embarrassing amounts of Red Velvet cake every year on my birthday when my mother-in-law makes me a the special cake! Can’t imagine how good this fudge is! I’ve never made fudge…until now! Thanks for figuring this out for us! You’re the best!

• grace says:

now i’m convinced–there’s a red velvet version of every dessert possible. good for you for experimenting–both versions look luscious to me!

• Schweetooth says:

hi, after seeing your blog, i made it immediately yesterday but i failed miserably. i am not good a blogging and had spent the whole day till late at night looking for a blog so i could share my pictures (http://schweetgigi.weebly.com/desserts.html). i also have the same question like Kristin Morris on regards to “stirring till no sheen”. i hope to hear from you soon 🙂

• Schweetooth says:

p.s. i realized my link included in the text doesn’t work(!!) but it worked when clicking at “Posted by: Schweetooth” duh! i am so blur!

• Elizabeth says:

I made the 1/2 sweet condensed milk and 1/2 buttermilk (with “fake” buttermilk since I didn’t have any handy) and it turned out great. I took it to our Sunday School class party today and everyone loved it!

• allison [a for aubergine] says:

red velvet fudge! brilliant and such a crowd pleaser. thanks for the idea and the recipe. 🙂

• Kristen says:

This is just so brilliant!

• WoWaccountforsale says:

WoW! The idea is so refreshing, have to apply it in my baking! Thanks for this sharing this brilliant recipe, your a genius!

• onceupona baker says:

love the deep red color! love it!!! I have awarded your blog with the stylish award!! 🙂 checkout my blog for detail and you can copy and save the stylish award that you can add and be proud of on your blog. you make some amazing thing….drool!

• Steafni says:

YUM!!! I can’t wait to try this!!!! The bright red color of the first one is out of this world – it really did remind me of a fondant (like Crystal mentioned). The second one looks divine! My permanent post-partum tummy thanks you! 🙂

• Lori @ RecipeGirl says:

Great idea. But does it really taste like red velvet? Or is it more the texture that is divine?

• Eliana says:

What a fun idea for a treat! Love the bright red color. And what the looks of it, seems like it tastes super delish.

• I Am Baker Logo

Brand new recipes that people find kinda acceptable.

INTRODUCING...