Ruffle Cake Tutorial

filed under: Miscellaneous on June 28, 2011

Since I threw a bunch of ruffles on my Ultimate Dessert Cake and then teased ya that I had already done a tutorial I figured I better show it to ya!

So I made the "tutorial" ruffle cake in blue.  Turquoise more like it.  But next time, it will for sure be pink.  I am dying to see this in pink, I don't know why on earth I picked turquoise!

Boy, I sure know how to sell something don't I?

This cake took about eight minutes to decorate.

Simply grab a #401 tip.  I got mine from Ateco, but I think other cake decorating distributors have them as well.  (It looks similar to a half moon shape.)

Holding the tip upside down (so the slit is on the bottom) simply apply gentle pressure to the bag and move upwards on the cake.

IMG_2639.cake

You can apply a little pressure or a lot depending on your mood!

IMG_2647.cake

You can see that I changed up my pressure throughout and got a few different effects.  Some of the ruffles are loose and some are tighter.

IMG_2015.ultimatedessertcake

I have to admit.  I did not take my time and give the blue cake 'my all'.  I tried a bit harder on the Ultimate Dessert Cake and I think it is much more uniform.

IMG_2664.cake

And the inside was a dreamy deliciousness of deep dark chocolate.  But that is for another day.

IMG_2694.bluerufflecake

Answer: I dont know.

Question: What the hay is that?

Answer: Yes I did.

Question: Did you really take cake slices and stack them up on top of each other separated only by a small piece of parchment and take a picture of it?

Answer: Why, yes.  Yes I am.

Question: Are you nuts?!?

*****
Some have been asking for recipes for the Ultimate Dessert Cake…

I used a version of this white chocolate cake from epicurious.  I made a cinnamon cake from scratch but think it still needs something so I am working on improving that recipe.  If you need something now, you can imporvise with a  good spice cake recipe.  The frosting is here, I use this frosting on everything now.  I mean EVERYTHING.

Well, not everything.

I used a chocolate version on the Ultimate Dessert Cake… but again, its not perfect so I need to tweak it some. Sorry!  I am annoying like that.

*Check out this cake and many other amazing things on Tidymom's I'm Lovin It!

Comments

• imagenthat says:

@Katie, that picture of the tip is actually the Ateco one (right Manda?)
    Just look for ruffle tip 401.
    As usual, your cake is beautiful, Manda! Thanks for the tutorial. We could hardly wait. You might see another batch of them, one after another at Cake Central and other places really soon!

• TidyMom says:

oh girl…….you SO inspire me to try more cakes! I feel like such a big girl moving up from cupcakes! lol
    I have to try this!!
    I would LOVE to see a post about all the decorating tips you have and what you use the most…..

• Nikki says:

I think it’s beautiful!! 🙂 I love that color too! I bet it’ll look great in pink as well! 🙂

• Evan @swEEts says:

I’ve done a ruffle cake but slightly different. I can’t wait to try this technique too!

• Renee says:

Thanks for the info. The cake is beautiful. I love the color. I think I have that tip, but I never thought to use it like that.

• The Café Sucré Farine says:

You always have something wonderful to share and today is no exception! Love this tutorial and I think I will have some fun with this technique!!

• Karen says:

YOu are a true talent! amazing

• bubbieone says:

ARE YOU NUTS????????? YES I AM!!!!!!!!
    GIRL THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!
    MEANS WE ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Miss Martina says:

Thank you for taking the time to post these tutorials, they really help to get a handle on the process. I do, however, still need a good ‘Cinnamon Cake’ formula so whenever ya figure it out – please post it! For now, I’m using a cinnamon pound cake recipe that is quite nice but very “delicate in flavor” so it isn’t suited for frosting or combining with other cake flavors – which is what I’d like to do as you show in the Ultimate Dessert Cake. Please keep us posted!MM-

• Patricia Calef says:

I love the stacked cakes.

• Jamie | My Baking Addiction says:

I love this look and that last photo! Beautiful!

• Amy K says:

Thanks for the recipe/info on the cake. I’m going to give it a shot, because it looks amazing!

• Nic@diningwithastud says:

Such a pretty cake – love the shot of the slices 🙂

• Abby says:

I’ll have to give this a try. I made your rose cake, so I have total faith in your tutorials. Besides, I’m always looking for an excuse to buy a new pastry tip!

• Nicole says:

I stop by your site every 2 or 3 days to see if you have posted anything new. This morning, I took a peek at foodgawker before clicking through my other bookmarks. I saw your cake there and new it was yours before reading your name. Doesn’t that make you feel good?

• Emily R. says:

Amanda- Thanks for posting the recipe! On the white chocolate cake from Epicurious, your version looked more like white cake and the photo on Epicurious definitely looks more yellow (and I noticed uses the entire egg and not just the whites). In your opinion, would this recipe work well for a white cake or did your photos just make it appear to be white? I’m looking for a white chocolate white cake recipe and so far having no luck. Thanks so much! LOVE your blog! 🙂

• Flora. says:

Oh, please!
    I’ve been dreaming about that cinnamon cake since the day I saw it’s picture!
    I’m pretty sure that’s the texture I am looking for, for a special b-day cake.
    Please, please, please, post it for us. 😀

• Chicgorgeous.blogspot.com says:

Hi Amanda! Your cakes always look so gorgeous. Really inspires me to constantly do better. I’ve been a quiet reader for so long that I can no longer hold my peace. Lol.. Amazing job as always. Would love to hear from you or feel free to provide feedbacks. Do stop by if you like.. Cheers Jo.
    Link: http://chicgorgeous.blogspot.com

• kang li says:

love the colour of the frosting!!!

• DearTragedy says:

^Your cake. No link-back or credit. Thought I’d let you know.

• Amber @FromTheHeartsOf says:

I loved your tutorial and used it to make a ruffle cake for an 80th birthday party.

• Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Amazing… I need to pick up one of those tips so I can try my hand at the ruffle cake. Granted, that would require me making a cake to decorate. Lately I’ve been all about the cupcakes and cookies.

• Sue says:

I love the turquoise! I also love the last(stacked) photo and your funny question & answer! Have a fabulous 4th of July, Amanda! Thanks for the tutorial.

• Mika(Photoadik) says:

oh my gosh! looks very delicious 🙂

• Sylvia@bascooking says:

Lovely color and elegant shape