Special K Bars

• 1 -1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 6 c Special K Oat & Honey cereal
  • Half package semisweet chocolate chips 6oz
  • 1/3 c peanut butter
  • 1 c green chocolate melts
Instructions
  1. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar corn syrup and mix well. Microwave on high for two minutes.

2. Remove bowl from microwave and stir mixture, then return to microwave for another two minutes, or until mixture begins to bubble and boil.

3. Remove from microwave and add 1-1/2 cups peanut butter. Stir until mixture is fully combined. Add cereal and marshmallows and mix until well combined.

4. Press into prepared (I used parchment once then PAM the next time, both worked well) 9x9 pan, using back of greased spoon to press evenly.

For Chocolate Topping:
  1. Put chocolate melts into microwave for one minute, then remove and stir. Continue microwaving for 30 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted. Watch closely! When melted, spread evenly over cereal mixture.

2. Combine semi sweet chocolate chips and 1/3 cup peanut butter in small microwave safe bowl. Heat on medium power for two minutes then remove and stir. If necessary, put chips back in microwave for 30 second increments to fully melt chips. Stir until smooth, then spread over cereal mixture.

3. Let cool completely (if you can!), then cut into bars.

I feel as if I may have misled you.

When I started this blog, i am baker, it was an extension of my initial blog, i am mommy. I thought it was kitchy and fun to continue the “i am” theme, but now I fear I was entirely too presumptuous in declaring, “I am baker!”

You see, there are many who have baked better and longer and more successfully then I.

Many, many, many folks I tell you!

For instance, this weekend I made Special K Bars. Or, as the rest of the world refers to them, scotcheroos.

My very first batch. Ever.

IMG_0601.stamp

You would think that someone who proclaims, “I am baker!” would at least have conquered the elementary basics of baking. Seriously, dont they teach more complicated recipes then this in home ec?

Do they still teach home ec?

I seem to be going about this whole baking blog thing all wrong. So bear with me, cause I really dont foresee me getting it right any time soon.

Anywho, I made these.

IMG_0621.stamp

They rock.

Then, because I seem to only be able to think of months on terms of what Holiday they represent, I decided I better make some St. Patrick’s Day bars.

So I changed up the recipe a bit! Used Special K Oats and Honey cereal, added green marshmallows, and green chocolate melts.

IMG_0639.stamp

I really wanted to add the tiniest bit of peppermint to the chocolate but chickened out at the last minute. Anyone ever had peppermint peanut butter? I am pregnant and that still didnt sound right to me.

Green, green, green. Its basically the only contribution I make to this Holiday… add more green food into the world… since 90% of the time when St. Patricks Day rolls around I am pregnant or nursing. No green beer for me!

I dont know if it was the marshmallows, but this second batch came out much creamier and soft. It literally melts in your mouth!

I think I actually will try adding peppermint to the white (green) chocolate next time. Just a tiny bit though! So its more of a suggestion then an actual flavor. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you try it, be sure to let me know how it tastes!

IMG_0645.stamp

Here is the recipe I used!

adapted from busycook.about.com

Enjoy!

Comments

• Georgia says:

I’m with Stacie – how do you cut them so perfectly?

• Amanda Rettke says:

I let these bars sit overnight so the set up very well, then I used a really sharp knife! Blessings all!

• Sheila says:

Oh my I can’t have these around my house. I will keep nibbling at them. This was a staple for me an an old roommate. We would make a batch and snack on them for a week or so. Scotcheroos and Ramen Noodles is pretty much what I lived on for a while. Those were in my skinny days!

• Becca says:

Oooo….I’m in the library, drooling all over the keyboard! I want to make these with Nutella so badly, I can hardly stand it! Nutella and mint just doesn’t seem like it would work, but if peanut butter, chocolate, and mint work, I think Nutella would be an awesome choice as a substitute! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m all about trying new things…so thanks for the inspiration!

• Rowaida Flayhan says:

Looks soo delicious,

• Renee says:

They look so yummy!

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

You want to know something, I don’t think I’ve ever made these either! I’ve made rice crispy bars but that used only marshmallows and butter. I’ll have to try these.

• Lucy Lean says:

happy st paddy’s day to you –

• Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum says:

Look at those – how fun! I love special K bars (aka scotcheroos in my family). This will be the perfect treat for St. P’s day! And by the way – holy pictures. Compliments to you and your camera!

• Celeste says:

You can do no wrong in my eyes. These sound amazing!

• Tara says:

Scotcheroos to me are made with rice krispies & have butterscotch in the chocolate topping…hence “scotch” eroo, no? So yours are something totally different, I think. The St. Paddy’s day version is so cute!

• Amanda Rettke says:

When I google the recipe that is what came up.. over and over again! I think there must be many variations! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tracy says:

These sound lovely! I love the green for St. Patrick’s Day, too!

• Bridgette says:

yum. also, when I read your title : iam baker it is then followed with a : hear me roar .. i cant help it ๐Ÿ™‚ I say if you bake, your a baker ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

These look beautiful, and I’ve never made them before, either! Great treat for St. Patrick’s Day!

• Liz says:

I’m a new follower AND a baker and I think your “I Am Baker” is a great idea. I’m not a professional baker – 95% of my skill is self-taught ๐Ÿ™‚ You might be able to grow the “I Am Baker” by having other mom/home/bakers as guest bakers. I also post my baking creatings (and sometimes baking FAILS) on my site…stop by and visit sometime ๐Ÿ™‚

• grace says:

how festive! this may have been your first time making scotcheroos, but there’s no way it’ll be your last!

• Kristen says:

Gorgeous bars, and I agree… peppermint and PB just don’t sound quite right!

• Robyn | Add a Pinch says:

Yum! How cute are these?!?!

• Carolyn L. says:

My boyfriend gets Butterfinger mixed in to Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream every time we go to Marble Slab. I am with you and think it’s disgusting. But he insists that it’s a delicious combination.
    Ew.

• Kari (Culinarication) says:

I was eating a Thin Mint and thought of you and this post, and put some peanut butter on it.
    Conclusion? It works! Go for the mint next time!

• Paula says:

You make everything look so irresistible. I’ve seen these done with Rice Krispies (as others have already mentioned) but never Special K nor with that gorgeous frosting on top. Either way, both are cereals so I guess these can pass as a breakfast food too. LOL

• Kelly says:

I thought you misled us because the title of your post was “St. Patrick’s Day Bars” hee hee.

• Wenderly says:

Those look irresistible my dear!
    Simply irresistible.

• Kelley Hart says:

Are your kidding me?! You are totally a baker! And you’re fun and entertaining. Keep it coming.