Simple Strawberry Shortcake Mousse Cups are the perfect way to taste the flavors of summer! Fast, easy, rich, and refreshing… everything you want in a dessert!
This recipe was one that fooled me. It seems too easy, too simple in its ingredients to be anything that would “wow” you. I didn’t have high expectations, I simply thought it would be ok.
Well. This dessert impressed me a whole heck of a lot. And, to make it even more impressive, make your own homemade shortbread cookies!
The only problem I have with this recipe is that it only makes four. So next time, I will double it!
Or triple, you know, because yum.
Now, because I NEVER seem to be able to remember to take my cream cheese out of the refrigerator so that it can properly warm to room temperature, here are a couple tips that I have used to “cheat”!
How to soften cream cheese quickly:
- Wrap the cream cheese in plastic wrap, then submerge it in a bowl of hot tap water for 5-10 min.
- Put the cream cheese into your stand mixer and turn it on medium-high for 3-5 minutes. (I recommend the paddle attachment as I would always find lumps when I used the whisk)
- Microwave for 15-20 seconds. I like to use a fork and mash the cream cheese a bit before I put it in the microwave. I also stir it completely when it’s done to make sure that it is even.
- I can’t verify is this is true, but I heard that Julia Childs always whacked butter with a rolling pin to quickly bring it to room temperature. If you don’t mind a little mess, this might work for cream cheese as well!
As you can tell by the numerous amount of pictures, I was totally smitten with these delightful desserts. I just know you will be too!
Strawberry “Shortcake” Mousse Cups
- 4 ounces 1/2 package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (can also use cows milk)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed shortbread cookies divided
- 6 strawberries chopped into small pieces
- Beat cream cheese, cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the sugar in stand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add coconut milk beat until well blended. Pour (or scoop) ingredients into a large clean bowl and then clean out mixer bowl.
- Pour cream into stand mixer bowl and beat cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped cream to cream cheese mixture stir until well blended. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the crushed cookies into a small tea cup or large shot glass.
- Divide strawberry slices evenly among glasses.
- Scoop mousse into a pastry bag and then pipe out into cups.
- Garnish with more strawberry pieces and shortbread cookie crumbs.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I think you could also easily substitute Cool Whip for the from-scratch whipped cream in the recipe if you happened to be in a hurry.
It was an absolute delight to create this Strawberry Shortcake “Mousse” Cups with McCormick. Thank you so, so much for supporting the brands that support this blog. I only work with the best, and am thankful that McCormick is willing to partner with me! <3