Valentines Petits Four Tutorial

filed under: Miscellaneous on February 3, 2010

Wanna know how to make my super easy and fun petit fours? Well you have come to the right place my friend.

Lets start with the main ingredients.

IMG_7155.supplies

Oreo cakesters. (They used to make vanilla which worked the best, but I havent seen those for a long time…if you find um, grab um, buy 25 boxes and send them all to me! Or, just email me.)

Fondant (I use pre-made)

Rolling Pin

Red Food Coloring (not pictured)

Optional: Royal Icing, small round cookie cutter, small heart cookie cutter, corn syrup, sparkling sugar

IMG_7158.pipedhearts

I made these hearts the day before with some royal icing. I also made a few white ones just in case I changed my mind and didnt like the red.

IMG_7171.cakester

Meet Mr. Oreo Cakester. I call him Lou.

IMG_7182.fondant

Grab a good size chuck of fondant. Especially if this is your first time. You are going to want to play around.

IMG_7189.fondant

Knead your fondant so it is more pliable. Since I need to make some pink today, I am going to add one little dot of Ateco red gel food coloring.

IMG_7195.pinkfondant

That one little dot made this cutie patootie pink.

IMG_7207.colorsfondant

I wanted to use three colors, so I made some red as well.

IMG_7212.whitefondant
From your white fondant, take about a small egg size. Since the cakester is black, and I am covering it in white, I want it to be a bit thicker then usual.

IMG_7213.rolledfondant

Roll out fondant into about a 1/4 inch thickness. I am working on wax paper. If you have granite or marble or a special fondant matt you can use any of those. They work way better.

I am poor. I use wax paper.

Picnik collage.fondant

Place the rolled out fondant over the cakester.

Gently press down on the sides. I use the sides of my pinky to smooth it over. This takes practice, so just relax and have fun working with it! (also watch Cake Boss and Food Network Cake Challenge’s lots and lots)

If your fondant tears or you have any problems, just start over!

IMG_7236.cakester

Take a pizza cutter or a sharp paring knife and cut closely around the bottom edge.

This is what it should look like after you have trimmed it.

IMG_7244.flippedcakester

Gently flip over the cakester and smooth the edges of the fondant over. Be sure to remove any crumbs you see along the way. If you dont you could accidentally rub it into your fondant.

IMG_7254.finishedcakester

And here is the fondant covered cakester!

Or, Lou with his clothes on!

Picnik collage.pinkfondant

Here it is again in pink.

IMG_7281

If you want to reuse your fondant, be on the lookout or crumbs. Just cut them off or pick them out.

IMG_7306.redwhitepink

Here are the three colors for Valentines Petit Fours.

You can now decorate them any way you want… write on them with royal icing or place a candy heart on top that says ‘be mine’ or place a Hershey’s Kiss on top!

IMG_7300.redfondant

I decided to roll out a bit extra of the red fondant for some hearts. This fondant is pretty thin as I am just using the hearts for decoration.

Picnik collage.pinksupplies

To decorate the pink cakesters I am using a bit of watered down corn syrup and some white sparkling sugar.

I will *paint the sides of the cakester with the corn syrup then gently roll it on a plate of the sparkling sugar.

*Make sure you have a paint brush that is for food only.

IMG_7386.reddot

For the red cakesters I am going to attach those royal icing hearts I made the day before. Just drop a dot of white royal icing (this must be the traditional royal icing with meringue powder) in the center and attach the heart. They are delicate, so be gentle.

IMG_7387.toothpick

Since I didnt have time to sit and hold the heart in place, I propped it up with a toothpick.

Would you like to see the final product?

Really?

Are you sure???

Ok…here goes…

IMG_7400.pinkhearts

Here are the pink sparkling sugar petit fours with red fondant heart.

IMG_7428.redpetit

Here are the red petit fours with white royal icing heart.

And here are my favorite.

IMG_7312.rose

The white petit four with a red fondant rose delicately resting on top.

Or, Lou all dressed up with a gift for his lady.

IMG_7337.rosepetit

These were a last minute addition, because my red royal icing hearts I had made didnt quite look like I wanted them too. So I went to youtube and watched a video on making fondant roses.

Although they are my first, I really like them, and cant wait to do more!

IMG_7444.petitfours

IMG_7439.petitfours

What do ya think? Are you ready to try some of your own?

I cant wait to see!

Comments

• Sue says:

AMAZING! Love the colors, the idea, and the decorations!

• Becky says:

Amanda, just thought I’d let you know I found chocolate, vanilla and peanut butter cakesters at my local Dillons store (Kroger)! If they had been on sale and I had some coupons, I was SO gonna ship you a few boxes! That’s how (innocently/non-stalker-like) obsessed I’ve become with your blog in the last few weeks! I also found choc/van ones at Walmart yesterday!

• Rebecca says:

These were so cute! I made sure to put fondant and cakesters on my list to try – and they were so easy!!! I’m looking forward to trying more!

• grace says:

fondant is a complete stranger to me, but after this stellar post, it seems much less intimidating and looks like loads of fun! i love the different colors and decorations, amanda, and the roses are particularly impressive. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jodie says:

I stumbled upon your website while searching for a recipe a few weeks ago. This recipe totally inspired me to make these for my friends! I did find the vanilla cakesters at Super Target in Memphis, TN. I googled the fondant to figure out where to buy it and all reviews I saw were not very good. I took on making my own marshmallow fondant and it turned our really good and surprisingly very easy to make ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the wonderful recipe suggestions!!!

• Tiffany says:

Amanda- I made these this weekend and brought them in Monday for my students. They loved them! Thank you so much for a recipe that those of us that are baking-challenged can handle!

• Musicalpixie says:

AMAZING! Now I have decorations for the top of my wedding heart cake! Although I don’t think I’ll get Oreo Cakesters here but I’ll improvise somehow.
    Wanna know the funny part?
    I dont like cake or chocolate ๐Ÿ™‚ I just like baking for other people hehe.
    ~ peace

• Katrina says:

I’ve seen the white cakesters here! at K-mart and at Smiths (a kroger store) =) I am going to try these for my hubby!

• Marion says:

you can get vanilla cakesters on amazon!

• Ina says:

My local grocery store has about 15 boxes or golden cakesters ๐Ÿ™‚ want some?

• Jana says:

Can the Petit Fours be frozen? And how do you actually SAY it?!?
    I need to make these for an event coming up.

• Amanda Rettke says:

I dont think you can freeze them… and if you are making them to serve to people, I would recommend trying the homemade marshmallow fondant. I think it would taste MUCH better!!
    If you need to store them I would use tupperware and ziplock bags… make sure they are airtight!!
    Be sure to take lots of pictures!
    Blessings-
    Amanda

• Donna Linnane says:

Amanda, these are so pretty and inspiring! And you are right – fondant will not freeze well at all. MMF is delicious, especially the recipe with whipping cream in it, and I have also found that Choco-Pan fondant tastes very nice, as well as MOST flavors of Satin Ice (some are funky, but on any day, LL of them are better than Wilton!). Thanks for sharing so much with us!

• Jana says:

Thanks!! I definitely think I’ll make the homemade and maybe even try the chocolate.
    I think someone else asked, the cakesters in your tutorial look small, did you cut them down?
    We are having a Bluegrass festival/chocolate extravaganza at our church…I was thinking of making the fondant blue and doing some “grass” in royal icing?? Or roll them in green sugar crystal thingies?

• Amanda Rettke says:

No, I did not cut them. They are just regular old cakesters! Your decorating ideas sound great!! Good luck!

• Nikki says:

We found the Golden Cakesters at Hannafords.

• Sharlaine says:

Amanda,
    I tried the idea of the cakesters and had a problem because of the space in between the two layers, how did you handle this when covering with the fondant?
    Sharlaine

• Darla says:

Beautiful! And so easy too! Thanks for the brilliant idea! And your photos are gorgeous!

• Cailin says:

I found the Golden Oreo Cakesters at amazon.com you can order the 24 pk, and cvs and walgreens. But your right normally they are hard to find.

• Christi says:

G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! You are super talented. Beautifully made and photographed.

• Yuridia says:

Amanda,Those are adorable
    Question: I love how fondant looks on cakes and such, since it dosent taste very good, what are the cakes and treats for? Just for decoration? or are they ment to be peeled?/
    Thanks!

• angie-bigbearswife says:

Beautiful!
    I love the rose one! but the white heart is a close 2nd!! I’ve never been good with fondant, but maybe I can try again

• Joanna Lundeen says:

I made these for my family and friends and they loved them!
    if you make marshmallow fondant all of it tastes delicious ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thank you for the tutorial!

• Nicole says:

Awww…they look so cute! I specially like the white one with the single rose on top. =D

• kate says:

Just found your site and I am in love! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful tips. My daughter is graduating this year, and I am planning on doing a cupcake bar instead of a store bought cake. I am definitely gonna be reading through all your archives for tips. Maybe, just maybe I can pull it off.
    I live in MN too. I love it here, but even I am getting sick of all this snow! More on the way tonight. Is spring ever going to come visit us?

• Qtpies7 says:

I am so excited to find this tutorial! Making the cakes for 2 weeks, and I can’t get it. I am so going to go buy the cakesters!
    If you want delicious fondant you can get buttercream fondant made by Duff of Charm City Cakes, Ace of Cakes. I buy it at Micheals. It is expensive, but you will get rave reviews on the flavor!